Reaching out to professors

pecmsyx

Hi, I am an undergraduate from a top ten statistics department. I double major in Statistics and Math. I am thinking about applying to a doctoral program in Statistics this coming Fall. I have been researching some grad schools and I have a few professors whose research interests are very similar to mine and I would really like to reach out to them and express my interest.

However, I am not sure if reaching out to them would work in my favor. I did not start considering the doctoral path until very recently and my GPA isn't as good as I want it to be. My Stat major GPA is around 3.55 and my advanced major GPA (starting from junior year) is around 3.75. I have been working hard to improve my grades and I think by the time I submit my application I can increase my Stat major GPA to around 3.73 and my advanced major GPA to around 3.85. I am on my third research project but I have no publications so far, I am working hard towards one......

On the one hand, I am concerned that my grades would not leave a good impression with the professors; on the other hand, I really want to reach out to these professors and express my interest and I think my research experience might be an advantage for me. Should I reach out to the professors? If I do, should I mention or try to explain my grades issues? I would love to hear your suggestions on the topic, thanks!

Definitely reach out. How else will you know if people are accepting students or even interested in supervising the kind of research you want to do? Do NOT mention your grades at this stage. The ideal thing with grades is to have a recommender bring up any issues, but there have to be real reasons (e.g., pecmsyx struggled during X semester while caring for a dying parent/dealing with a serious medical issue) and not something about struggling with the material in a difficult class.

I can't speak to the statistics field directly, but your GPA is not bad. In the sciences, I always encourage all students with GPAs above 3.5 to not feel limited about where they can apply to. Yes, a 3.5 GPA is not as good as a 3.9, but I feel that at the high end of GPAs (3.8 and above), there really isn't a distinction between GPAs (the admission decision will be made based on other factors, most likely).

I think your GPA is fine to apply to all schools, especially since you are on your 3rd research project. Definitely reach out to all professors you are interested in. No need to discuss GPA or anything like that at this point. For now, the conversation should only be on potential research opportunities. Leave the details to the actual application process.

I'm not sure about statistics, but in maths it's certainly not expected for you to have publications at this stage. Do contact people, but try to keep it short and straightforward - academics are very busy people and prone to ignoring lengthy emails. Prepare a good pdf CV (you'll need it for the applications anyway) and if appropriate attach it to your email, that can make it easier to objectively convey the relevant information. 

Be objective: introduce yourself with as few words as you can, ask if (s)he is interested in taking new PhD students for Fall 2017 and mention why you're reaching this one in particular. Show you've done your homework (read as much as possible about this person, the program and the department), but remain succint unless prompted to say more.

When I reached out to professors... I had a 100% return rate on my emails. Maybe it was just lucky... but my formula was

Subject: Inquiry from Potential Student

Dr. So and So, 

I am an undergraduate student in blank at such and such. I am working on (paraphrase generalized research) with other Dr. So and So. I am interested in (paraphrase what work they do that you like) and am wondering if you are taking any graduate students for (semester). 

Thank you for your time.

Succinct, to the point, and I attached my cv. 

On August 18, 2016 at 5:00 PM, sjoh197 said:

When I reached out to professors... I had a 100% return rate on my emails. Maybe it was just lucky... but my formula was

Subject: Inquiry from Potential Student

Dr. So and So, 

I am an undergraduate student in blank at such and such. I am working on (paraphrase generalized research) with other Dr. So and So. I am interested in (paraphrase what work they do that you like) and am wondering if you are taking any graduate students for (semester). 

Thank you for your time.

Succinct, to the point, and I attached my cv. 

Thank you! I feel ambivalent about attaching my cv since it would have my GPA on it and I am afraid my GPA would not work in my advantage... Especially for professors at top universities.

2 minutes ago, pecmsyx said:

Thank you! I feel ambivalent about attaching my cv since it would have my GPA on it and I am afraid my GPA would not work in my advantage... Especially for professors at top universities.

So just take out your GPA. My CV doesn't have my GPA.