For any current or former EAPSI applicants, how did you word the initial contact with prospective host researchers? I can't decide which of the following options is more appropriate and likely to be well-received:

1. "I propose to research XYZ using methods XYZ. Would you be willing to host me and fund the proposed research?"
  2. "My general interests are XYZ. Do you have any ongoing projects in this research area that I could participate in during summer 2017?"

I feel like Option 2 is more polite, but Option 1 conveys a "go-getter" perspective that could be desirable in certain circumstances. Unfortunately, my field of study/research methodology (field-based environmental science) requires costly equipment and support personnel that would not be covered by EAPSI funding, so asking the host to provide these (boldface in Option 1) is an elephant in the room that cannot be ignored. Does anyone have an opinion and/or insight into how you handled this when you were applying? Thanks in advance!

• 2 months later...

I unfortunately can't help with this fork in the road, but have a question myself about the EAPSI. Would it looked negatively upon to apply with a collaboration with an individual with which you have worked with in the past? IE the institute would be part of a more ongoing collaboration. I haven't found any information in the application instructions that suggests it would be worse or better to do this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, CISprague said:

In the previous handbooks and forums for the NSF EASPI, I saw that there was an orientation in DC sometime in March. Does anyone know if this will be happening for us this year?

One of my labmates did the same program and also noticed that the DC orientation is missing. It looks like they nixed it in favor of the three-part webinars, which I guess is cheaper for the NSF (though my labmate says the orientation was a lot of fun and we'll be missing out :( )

For those wondering (I guess we can keep a tally here), I'm also in the Tokyo, Japan EAPSI.

EDIT: I responded with a "yes" as soon as I got the email, and Elena acknowledged my response yesterday.

Edited by Brewbring

On 1/25/2017 at 0:02 AM, Brewbring said:

One of my labmates did the same program and also noticed that the DC orientation is missing. It looks like they nixed it in favor of the three-part webinars, which I guess is cheaper for the NSF (though my labmate says the orientation was a lot of fun and we'll be missing out :( )

For those wondering (I guess we can keep a tally here), I'm also in the Tokyo, Japan EAPSI.

EDIT: I responded with a "yes" as soon as I got the email, and Elena acknowledged my response yesterday.

I think we are going to have DC orientation. This is from the email. "Location-specific sessions: Dates and times to be determined (to be determined before Feb 3 session)". I think they just don't have a date yet.

13 hours ago, python said:

I think we are going to have DC orientation. This is from the email. "Location-specific sessions: Dates and times to be determined (to be determined before Feb 3 session)". I think they just don't have a date yet.

I am thinking the same thing. Luckily, I am from DC, so I get to have a nice visit with my family :).

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 8:00 PM, python said:

I think by location-specific they mean separate sessions for each destination (e.g., China, New Zealand, Australia, etc.).

I'd love to be wrong though, a DC orientation would be great :)

Hey all, 

I did China last year and am doing Japan this year. I doubt that the DC orientation will happen this time; as someone else's labmate said, it was really fun! It was also during the Cherry Blossoms festival... :wub:

Like Brewbring, I'd love to be wrong though. 

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 5:55 PM, CISprague said:

I've actually asked; we are not doing the orientation this year unfortunately (...sigh, I live in DC). @CeeN I did not know you could do this programme two years in a row.

Everyone, post your email addresses, so we can make a facebook group.

We're going to get contact info of all EAPSI fellows on the March 3rd web meeting, so I think we can probably make a facebook group then. Should be more secure than posting them here :)