The Graduate Institute Geneva(IHEID) 2017-2018

On 12/12/2016 at 0:09 PM, nh23 said:

Hi all! I'm applying to the MDev program on a somewhat last-minute basis, and wanted some feedback re: references. I graduated undergrad 8 years ago, and haven't maintained academic relationships from my alma mater very strongly. The application checklist mentions that academic recommendations are preferred and but professional ones are accepted, if you have been out of school. I have heard a lot about how IHEID places a premium on academic records and references. 

I have great professional references in the development sector that can speak to my strengths with detail, whereas my academic references, while overall positive, will be somewhat more superficial. Any idea whether I'd lower my chances if I were to submit two professional recommendations instead of one professional, one academic? I appreciate any insights - after being out of school for so long, this decision between what's "preferred" and what's "accepted" is really making me anxious! 

Best of luck on your applications!

Perhaps sending the admission this question would be good! I think they will be able to provide you advice and insights, and they are pretty responsive :) They may also be able to tell you where to upload additional references .

On 13/12/2016 at 7:09 AM, Sade1122 said:

Great to see y'all!

I am writing my SOP as well, but just confirmed with my referees with the LoRs so it's a good thing:D I am a law student in China and plan to apply for IA with focus on security studies in IHEID and Sciences Po, my gap is 3.5. Though applying straight from undergrads, I am now having working experience on refugees issues in Middle East, volunteered in an Asia country on development issue and was a visiting student in Columbia University last year, so I think my chance is not slim. Anyone know about the the difference between MIA and Master in International Relations/PoliSci?

Fingers crossed!

Hi and welcome! I think the main difference lies in MIA being an interdisciplinary course, but IR/PS is a disciplinary masters. As such, the course and electives are likely to differ quite a bit, so you might want to check out the course catalogue which details the entire course list which you can take. It should become clearer which course is of more interest to you, by comparing the curriculum to your career aspirations and academic interest :)

On 12/14/2016 at 11:53 AM, Autumn Springs said:

Perhaps sending the admission this question would be good! I think they will be able to provide you advice and insights, and they are pretty responsive :) They may also be able to tell you where to upload additional references .

@Autumn Springs Thanks for the response! I reached out to the admissions office today with this question (and a few others) and they were incredibly patient and helpful.

For anyone else wondering, they recommended I submit one academic reference, one professional, and use the optional third spot for an additional professional reference. 

It seems like most of the people on this thread are current students. Are there any other folks applying after working for a few years? Particularly to the MDEv program. 

Hi I'm going to apply for master in anthropology and sociology of development program for 2018-2019. I am currently trying to make a school list and IHEID is of course of them but it would be helpful in making this list if someone who are also interested in anthropology and sociology of development program can let me know where else you are going to apply. Thank you

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2016 at 5:09 AM, nh23 said:

Hi all! I'm applying to the MDev program on a somewhat last-minute basis, and wanted some feedback re: references. I graduated undergrad 8 years ago, and haven't maintained academic relationships from my alma mater very strongly. The application checklist mentions that academic recommendations are preferred and but professional ones are accepted, if you have been out of school. I have heard a lot about how IHEID places a premium on academic records and references. 

I have great professional references in the development sector that can speak to my strengths with detail, whereas my academic references, while overall positive, will be somewhat more superficial. Any idea whether I'd lower my chances if I were to submit two professional recommendations instead of one professional, one academic? I appreciate any insights - after being out of school for so long, this decision between what's "preferred" and what's "accepted" is really making me anxious! 

Best of luck on your applications!

Hi nh23, 

I am in the same situation as yours. I have graduated 8 years ago, and have not been in touch with professors. Moreover, i found out today that MDev can be combined with major in sustainability, which was my main interest. I am just too late for this year. Please let me know how it goes for you this year, it will be very helpful. Thanks & Best of luck :)

On 11/01/2017 at 11:36 AM, Yagizoztepe said:

I am still waiting, they said It was mid-january, so I guess we will have results in a week or so :)

Hi guys, any news for those waiting for "mid-January"?

I am also applying to MDEV, but I believe I will get my results by mid-march. On their website it is written that the multi-disciplinary courses do not have early admissions deadline (Jan15th), right? I applied on Nov1st, but my second recommendation letter was only sent on Nov21st.

I finished my bachelor studies more than 10 years ago too, but my professional experience is unrelated to development (investment banking, corporate finance). Since I am studying Int Relations now (MBA), I had two professors as referees. Do you think professional experience could make a difference in their selection criteria?

Nice to meet you all, and good luck to all of us! 

@fernandomli I think you almost certainly will only receive the results in mid-march since there is no early admission for interdisciplinary masters this year...Welcome aboard the waiting train :unsure:

and I think professional experience, even if not in the development field, will help your application if you have used it thoughtfully to explain your motivation to take the course

Best of luck to all :) Currently it is week 1 of 9 on the waiting time calendar :wacko:

14 hours ago, Autumn Springs said:

@fernandomli I think you almost certainly will only receive the results in mid-march since there is no early admission for interdisciplinary masters this year...Welcome aboard the waiting train :unsure:

and I think professional experience, even if not in the development field, will help your application if you have used it thoughtfully to explain your motivation to take the course

Best of luck to all :) Currently it is week 1 of 9 on the waiting time calendar :wacko:

I applied for MDev by the Nov deadline. So the notification would by mid-March? Is there a link you can share which has this information? I was kind of hoping to hear around now about my admission decision. I totally missed that bit of information.

3 hours ago, ss2233 said:

I applied for MDev by the Nov deadline. So the notification would by mid-March? Is there a link you can share which has this information? I was kind of hoping to hear around now about my admission decision. I totally missed that bit of information.

Hi ss2233. The early admission does not apply to interdisciplinary courses (int relations and development). The table with the deadlines is not there anymore, since admissions have endend. They have, however, posted a new table with "late admissions" deadline now (march 1st).

But I think we can expect to hear from them only in March. Last year it seems it happened on the 20th (which is not "mid" at all).

I am also applying to Mdev, hopefully we will both be admitted! Good luck!

@Autumn Springs , it is too soon to start counting weeks, I am counting months until we get to March!

On 1/3/2017 at 4:54 AM, Akansha said:

Is there anyone who has submitted in the 1st cycle & is awaiting results?

Me! Mine still only says application complete. Does yours say the same? 

Hi,

I applied for the International Law Masters and on Monday I got my acceptance letter!!! Now I am only waiting for the finaincial aid decision in March 

Sula 

11 hours ago, Yagizoztepe said:

Got an answer couple of days ago, they post-poned my applcation to the normal procedure. I think that means I got declined in the early-admission right?

You applied for MDev, right? Did you get an email or a letter? I applied early too, but havent heard anything yet.

So glad to see this thread active! 

I too have have applied for MDev and as I understand it has only one deadline i.e in March. 

@nh23

It's been a while since I left university and I have been working for a while now. 

@rsustainability did you say you are interested in IHEID? I think they do have a separate deadline for late applications, perhaps you can still apply!!

So week 2 out of 9.... gosh! it's such a long wait :(

Have you guys applied to other universities as well? 

Edited by Vivere

3 hours ago, Vivere said:

So glad to see this thread active! 

I too have have applied for MDev and as I understand it has only one deadline i.e in March. 

@nh23

It's been a while since I left university and I have been working for a while now. 

@rsustainability did you say you are interested in IHEID? I think they do have a separate deadline for late applications, perhaps you can still apply!!

So week 2 out of 9.... gosh! it's such a long wait :(

Have you guys applied to other universities as well? 

Hi,

I ve applied to International Development at SciencesPo too. Only there and IHEID. What about you?

So glad someone made a thread! I've also applied to the MIA, just awaiting March :wacko:
I've been very nervous about my application because I honestly didn't mention mention much about where I'm hoping to take my degree if accepted....but I did mention my interest in migration studies and policy, and how I hope to work towards "modernizing the system." 

With people saying how important the personal statement is, I fear that mine might have been insufficient in explaining my future goals! 

Hello @fernandomli I have applied for the LSE program as well, didn't go for SciencesPo.

@Kara23 even I wasn't able to include all the important stuff in my personal statement.... with 800 words as limit something will be left out. 

I just read on some other forum that IHEID prefers fresh graduates..... gradually I'm losing hope :(

2 hours ago, Vivere said:

Hello @fernandomli I have applied for the LSE program as well, didn't go for SciencesPo.

@Kara23 even I wasn't able to include all the important stuff in my personal statement.... with 800 words as limit something will be left out. 

I just read on some other forum that IHEID prefers fresh graduates..... gradually I'm losing hope :(

@Vivere, don't give up! I graduated 12 years ago. I guess even though they could have their preferences, it would be wise to have a class with different backgrounds and levels of experience. When do you expect to hear back from LSE ? I was admitted at SciencesPo, so now I have my anxiety under control (although I think I prefer IHEID)...

@fernandomli Congratulations on your SciencesPo offer!! It's a great news! And thank you so much for your encouraging words! 

I'm hoping to hear from LSE next month. 

@Autumn Springs Congratulations on your LSE offer! Have you accepted the offer? I mean is there an acceptance deadline? And can one turn down the program after accepting the offer?