The Graduate Institute Geneva(IHEID) 2017-2018

Hey guys! First time poster here from Australia, applying for the M DEVS program and am super nervous about the decision notification date, I share everyone's pain!

I too thought that they had changed the date to early April, but I am pretty sure that is only for the late applicants. For the rest of us, the decision should still be mid-march.

My GPA was pretty weak in comparison to what I've seen elsewhere, we don't really talk about GPA in Australia, but the average score overall was 71%. When translated to a GPA, it ends up being like 2.8/2.9. In my favour, I changed from an IR program to development studies in my bachelor after my first year, and my grades picked up significantly after this.

I already know that I got a really nice letter of recommendation from one of my tutors, and another one of my references was from an ex-IHEID staff member, so I'm hoping this works for me as well.

Do you guys reckon that my GPA will be just too weak, or do you think I have a chance all things considered? 

Edited by cjs1822

14 hours ago, cjs1822 said:

Hey guys! First time poster here from Australia, applying for the M DEVS program and am super nervous about the decision notification date, I share everyone's pain!

I too thought that they had changed the date to early April, but I am pretty sure that is only for the late applicants. For the rest of us, the decision should still be mid-march.

My GPA was pretty weak in comparison to what I've seen elsewhere, we don't really talk about GPA in Australia, but the average score overall was 71%. When translated to a GPA, it ends up being like 2.8/2.9. In my favour, I changed from an IR program to development studies in my bachelor after my first year, and my grades picked up significantly after this.

I already know that I got a really nice letter of recommendation from one of my tutors, and another one of my references was from an ex-IHEID staff member, so I'm hoping this works for me as well.

Do you guys reckon that my GPA will be just too weak, or do you think I have a chance all things considered? 

Hi cjs1822. Welcome here.  How could an overall score of 71% translate into a GPA of just 2.89/2.9? If you've converted it yourself then are you sure you've converted it the correct way?. Get it converted from the official authority if you haven't done that already. 

17 minutes ago, Akansha said:

I meant, where from India? And which uni? I am from Kolkata. :) Where else have you applied?

Ohh sorry, I am in Pune- Fergusson College at the moment for my studies, but I am from Nashik in Maharastra if you have heard of the city. And I have applied to George Washington University, MIIS, University of Toronto and Ottawa as well as Carleton- NPSIA (long list).  I got in at GWU and MIIS, University College London. What about you? Where have you applied and which programs? Glad to know someone else from India has applied to IHEID as well. :D 

10 minutes ago, Nupur11 said:

Ohh sorry, I am in Pune- Fergusson College at the moment for my studies, but I am from Nashik in Maharastra if you have heard of the city. And I have applied to George Washington University, MIIS, University of Toronto and Ottawa as well as Carleton- NPSIA (long list).  I got in at GWU and MIIS, University College London. What about you? Where have you applied and which programs? Glad to know someone else from India has applied to IHEID as well. :D 

Haha, I know a couple other from India who've applied!

ah, congrats on you making it to those places. Is IHEID your top choice?

I have only applied to IHEID for ANSO. A very big risk, I know!

3 minutes ago, Nupur11 said:

Ohh just one place? I guess your credentials must be really stellar.

Yes, IHEID is my top choice. You graduated in the same subject? 

No they're not honestly. And yes, I graduated from xavier's, Kolkata last year with a degree in Sociology.

I did not want to go to any other place except for IHEID. Actually, i made it to a couple of unis last year but I could not go because of lack of funding. I am currently enrolled at a Masters program here, but IHEID seemed too good to let go. Hence, applying there this time!

16 minutes ago, Nupur11 said:

I will reapply next year if I don't get IHEID this year, I am that desperate to go :P . Good luck to you! I hope you get admitted as well! 

Thank you! So you wouldn't go to the other schools you made to this year? :o
And well, same pinch :P In a diff prog next year tho.

51 minutes ago, Akansha said:

Thank you! So you wouldn't go to the other schools you made to this year? :o
And well, same pinch :P In a diff prog next year tho.

I don't know ya,IHEID is my TOP choice. After that maybe Canada. I hope they send out decisions soon and I mean really soon. 

1 hour ago, Nupur11 said:

I will reapply next year if I don't get IHEID this year, I am that desperate to go :P . Good luck to you! I hope you get admitted as well! 

We all really love IHEID! 

Congrats Nupur for GWU & MIIS. GWU is really a great uni... have heard so much about it. 

Hey guys! Glad to see this thread so active....especially now when the wait has become so unbearable. 

Does anyone happen to know the batch size of Mdev program? Two years back it was around 80 and there were talks of increasing the intake. 

Just now, Vivere said:

Hey guys! Glad to see this thread so active....especially now when the wait has become so unbearable. 

Does anyone happen to know the batch size of Mdev program? Two years back it was around 80 and there were talks of increasing the intake. 

It is 80 even today. 

10 hours ago, cjs1822 said:

Hi cjs1822! Welcome aboard! 

I wouldn't worry much about the GPA. The selection is multifactorial and I'm sure a strong SoP and LoRs will help you. 

I can understand though that at this stage self-doubt is inevitable.... so hang in there! All the best!! 

1 minute ago, Vivere said:

Thanks Nupur! How did you find that? 

The webinars links didn't work for me ?

In the webinar with 'special focus on applications', they said 80 - - interdisciplinary programs are the largest at IHEID. 

Try downloading Adobe first. Or try on YouTube if they have posted. 

On 2/18/2017 at 7:35 PM, first_rain said:

Hey everyone!

I am sooo glad to find this thread. I have applied for MDEV at IHEID and seriously, the wait is killing me:wacko: 

Hi first_rain!

We all are in the same boat..... ??

1 minute ago, Nupur11 said:

In the webinar with 'special focus on applications', they said 80 - - interdisciplinary programs are the largest at IHEID. 

Try downloading Adobe first. Or try on YouTube if they have posted. 

I have the Adobe installed. 

Good idea ? about checking them out on YouTube. Thanks ?

Hello, I am absolutely new in here. I applied to IHEID for their MDev programme on 10th Jan,2015. This wait is seriously killing me and all they have got is 'Under Consideration' in the application follow-up. I am extremely nervous about what will happen.

4 minutes ago, tinni93 said:

Hello, I am absolutely new in here. I applied to IHEID for their MDev programme on 10th Jan,2015. This wait is seriously killing me and all they have got is 'Under Consideration' in the application follow-up. I am extremely nervous about what will happen.

Me too. Anxiety level through the roof :P 

5 minutes ago, Nupur11 said:

Me too. Anxiety level through the roof :P 

yes I am extremely nervous about my applications. I am also thinking as to whether I should send an application for the MIA in Hertie. It looks good but they seem to be so expensive.

Just now, tinni93 said:

yes I am extremely nervous about my applications. I am also thinking as to whether I should send an application for the MIA in Hertie. It looks good but they seem to be so expensive.

No harm in applying, most get scholarships so I have heard and they have no application fee.