GRE registration name problem

skyxgambler

My name on passport is my first name is XXXX YYYY and Last name ZZZZ. However, in GRE registration my first name is XXXXYYYY (no spacing) and last name is okay. I called GRE helpline and they said it won't be a problem.

On the website it says:

The name you use when you register — and the spelling of that name — must exactly match (excluding accents, apostrophes and spaces) the name printed on the identification (ID) documents that you will present on the day of the test. If it does not, you may be prohibited from taking the test or your test scores may be canceled after you take the test.

I think it won't be a problem but I am still worried.

When I apply for graduate programs, would it be a problem?

The website says the names must exactly match excluding spacing, so you should be fine (since the only error is the lack of space). Also, you called them and they said it's okay. 

For grad schools, you should let them know with a note in your application that your GRE reg name is XXXXYYYY ZZZZ instead of XXXX YYYY ZZZZ. You can usually add a comment either when you provide your GRE info or at the end, in a box for "special considerations".

This is usually okay---for some schools this might mean some automated systems won't work but they will still figure it out. I had a similar problem, my first name is AAAA, middle name BBBB CCCC and last name DDDD. But for one transcript, my middle name got truncated so my full name was AAAA BBBB DDDD and it didn't match my application name, so the online system kept saying "transcript not received". However, when I emailed them to inquire, they said that the computer didn't automatically match the transcript, so the online status will forever say "not received", however, a human did notice that there was no match and they found the score report and manually made the correct match.

I would email ETS about it. If it's going to be a problem, they'll change your name on the admission ticket. If not, you'll have a written confirmation that you can take with you to the test center.

I've been refused entrance at the test center because of the name-difference problem back in 2007 while taking the SAT. That hurt very, very badly because I was traveling to a second country to take the test.