neurobiology learning/memory programs

jwhite20071988

Hi,

I'm looking to apply to graduate neuroscience phd programs but I'm having difficulty looking for a program with PIs that conduct research in my interest area. I want to do research on the learning and memory of neurobiology. Specifically with nootropic drugs to cure cognitive impairing disease. I'll generally find 1 PI in any one program doing similar research but would like to see a program with at least 2 or more PIs doing this research. any universities come to mind? No location restrictions besides  being a US grad school. Thanks

What methods are you interested in? Do you just want to do wet-lab stuff? Because depending on the methods you are interested in you could apply to a range of different types of programs in different departments such as psychology and umbrella bio programs. Although this is a relatively niche subfield so I doubt you'll find many schools that have multiple faculty members working on this specifically. As long as you have 1 POI and a couple others that you could see being on your dissertation committee that's all you need. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wet or dry lab doesn't really concern me. I want to do research in developing nootropics to treat cognitive impairing diseases. I'm just concerned because I'll find one PI doing this research and not a university with multiple PIs conducting this specific research area. I'll find one or two PIs at a university like Emory, NYU, and Yale. But no departments invested specifically in developing nootropics. I guess my question is are there universities with an emphasis(like an entire specialty or department) on developing such drugs to enhance cognition with nootropics to treat cognitive impairment. Thanks for your reply 

The methodology would be using wild type mice, aged or not, to enhance memory using a novel therapeutic that could be used later on to treat human cognitive impairing disease. This would be the basic foundation of my research interest. I think that if a drug/protein/therapeutic that could enhance learning or memory in a wild type mouse could potentially cure cognitive impairments in any disease that decreases cognition in humans...like Alzheimers, dementia, etc.

I mean, someone else might be able to provide a more informed reply as I don't know much about this subfield, but generally speaking departments usually don't invest completely in one subfield. Sometimes you'll find some departments that lean towards one type of subfield (e.g. visual cognition/psychophysics) more than anything else (but with other methods/interests as well) but I haven't heard of a WHOLE department being dedicated completely to one subfield, especially one that is so niche.

Edited by Gvh