Contacting Programs

Hi everyone,

I'm applying for programs right after I complete prerequisites, and I have a GPA of 3.5

I've taken this forum's advice to e-mail the programs and ask them how to improve my chances since my GPA might be considered on the "lower" end. When I read about top programs, I learn from several forums that they either only care about numbers or it's too competitive to get in. When I look on ASHA Edfind, either the information seems off or not updated. If I contact the programs, they tell me that they consider all factors and that they take a 'holistic' approach- even though I keep reading numbers are the only factor from applicants in the past. Its starting to look like they're just giving this answer to get application money.

So how can I trust any information given to me? Who do I trust? I'm building my strongest application but I'd like to be realistic about my chances in a graduate school, considering it's very expensive to apply.

At smaller schools, I just emailed the graduate admissions contact and asked to verify the credibility of the scores posted on edfind, stating I was trying to gauge how competitive I was as a candidate (and subsequently how to improve my chances). I have always gotten direct replies, but I also haven't asked any bigger schools, so that might have something to do with it 

As someone with a similar GPA, I've also come across that frustration. Some websites provide the average stats of previous cohorts, which is a nice gauge. Meanwhile, I have also found that searching the forums (time consuming) has painted a better picture. Reading old threads about acceptances where users list their GPA and GRE, as well as what schools they were accepted to, in their signatures has honestly been the most helpful.