HGSE 2017

aina7

As a PSP - School Counseling student, it seems like we have the most restrictive requirements, though we have two years to complete them.  We have 12 - 14 courses that we have to take and annually complete a 500+ hour practicum in order to graduate with our Master's and School Counseling License.  All other programs, including the two other strands in PSP, are designed for one year and afford some flexibility so students can explore and connect their learning across disciplines.  With that said, I only have 2 - 3 PSP courses left for next year and have a lot of freedom with course selection next year.  A small price to pay this year, but it's also why I never considered the other programs at HGSE. I knew I wanted at least two years to soak in as much as possible.

@cavenue said, "Steve Bannon has a degree from HBS. Let me just leave it at that."

You're right, Bannon does have a degree from HBS - an MBA, specifically. And you don't. He apparently graduated with honors as well. Let me just leave it at that.

Edited by UrbanMidwest

On 4/22/2017 at 3:42 PM, HisGrace said:

Do the cohorts greatly differ?

I am looking at the curriculum now and prefer the program and alumni, from TIE (tech, innovation and education) vs education policy and management (my current concentration). I would like to call to request a change but before I do this, I just wanted to reach out and see if I can enroll in ANY class at HGSE regardless of whether it falls under a dif cohort's class offerings

I'll be in the TIE program this fall, just curious which part of the curriculum or alumni prompted you to switch from EPM to TIE?  I briefly considered EPM too, they focus on pretty different areas.  I believe you can use your 3 electives to take TIE classes if you couldn't switch out.

On 5/4/2017 at 3:11 AM, UrbanMidwest said:

@cavenue said, "Steve Bannon has a degree from HBS. Let me just leave it at that."

You're right, Bannon does have a degree from HBS - an MBA, specifically. And you don't. He apparently graduated with honors as well. Let me just leave it at that.

K.

4 hours ago, astoria26 said:

I'll be in the TIE program this fall, just curious which part of the curriculum or alumni prompted you to switch from EPM to TIE?  I briefly considered EPM too, they focus on pretty different areas.  I believe you can use your 3 electives to take TIE classes if you couldn't switch out.

Well I have a background in media and realized I want a career that continues to tie into media. I like this one course that allows you to produce an educational TV short. I didn't want to have to use my electives to take classes at HGSE

A question for HGSE alumni or current students, is it true that other Harvard students look down on HGSE? I find that concerning. What is the alumni relationships like with other Harvard schools?  I think if marketed right, the Harvard name should open doors even if you pursue something outside of education. Is this thinking flawed? 

Will anyone be participating in the Career Success Workshop: Work, Identity and HGSE Resources Explored coming up in June? Also, does everyone know what they want to do post-HGSE? Return to your former agency/organization in a different capacity? Try something completely new? Consulting? 

@HisGrace I've been taking non-degree classes (didn't get accepted to a degree program) at HGSE and I've met students at the College while taking classes through work on campus. Have never felt any of the undergrads I interact with have thought badly of me just because I take classes at HGSE, everyone I interact with has been nice/chill and I've become friends and good acquaintances with quite a few.

I also live in one of the Harvard Housing buildings with all sorts of graduate students and everyone in my housing area doesn't seem to treat HGSE students any different than other students. My personal take is that, at worst, HGSE isn't really a place that students at other schools think about because they're focused on their own programs.

Hope that's helpful!

@HisGrace I am a current HGSE student, I work at HKS, and my spouse works at MIT. Your question is difficult to answer because it is getting at values deep within Harvard's history and culture. Everything I say is based on my experience and should be read as hasty generalizations. Basically, each school at Harvard looks upon the others with both a tinge of disdain and a tinge of respect. 

The B School is often hated on for being separate. They are on the other side of the Charles River and have a proclivity to not share resources like other schools do (e.g. they have the nicest gym on-campus but only HBS affiliates can use it). The only B School students I've met have been in HGSE classes or HKS classes, so they are interested in the public good. These students have been incredibly well-rounded and not just looking to make a buck. My impression is that the typical B School student may have been Greek during their undergraduate days

The College is often hated on because typical students may be teenagers with superiority complexes. I have met about 30 and this seems true for about 1/3. For example, a student from suburban Chicago told me "no one from Whitney Young HS gets into Harvard." WYHS is one of the top high schools in Chicago where Michelle Obama went— and she ended up at Princeton and HLS. On the other hand, a College student has become a lifelong friend of mine.

To be blunt, the Law School is hated on for being perceived as being full of assholes. I have heard several stories of Law students sabotaging each other (e.g. Tearing up a colleague's exam when he went to the bathroom). Most of the Law students I've met have been very laid back and have not exhibited assoholic behaviors.

Numerous times, I have heard that Ed. School students are perceived as very friendly and very liberal. Our library is known for being a very social place with great food. Critiques of the Ed. School are that it is mostly white women and that it has one of the smallest endowments of the Harvard Schools. 

The only unanimous opinion is that all Harvard schools look upon the Extension School with disdain. 

At the core, every school wants other schools to do well. We are one university and our performances and reputations all reflect upon each other. I want HBS to continue being the school that produces the most millionaires and billionaires in the world. I want HKS to keep pumping out elected officials. I want the next Secretary of Education to be a HGSE alumnus. Ultimately, Harvard students want others to be the best because we want to be the best school in the world. This shared desire for greatness supersedes any tinge of disdain. And again, these provocative, hasty generalizations are not representative of all Harvard students' views and experiences.

Edited by graciasadios

On 5/6/2017 at 7:10 PM, HisGrace said:

A question for HGSE alumni or current students, is it true that other Harvard students look down on HGSE? I find that concerning. What is the alumni relationships like with other Harvard schools?  I think if marketed right, the Harvard name should open doors even if you pursue something outside of education. Is this thinking flawed? 

I have never encountered anyone looking down upon HGSE. If anything, I think WE are the ones with an inferiority complex, and not the other way around :)

• 3 months later...
On 4/3/2017 at 3:50 PM, Vulpix said:

Most of my complaints, upon reflection, are more personal issues during my year at grad school and not related to HGSE itself. However, I'd say my biggest complaint is the spectrum in quality of classes. There are AMAZING classes and then there are classes that are terrible. And unfortunately, few people seem to be able to avoid taking at least one dud, which is a shame given we are only here for one year, even one dud feels like such a waste. I guess that's really my only complaint... I know international students have some more challenges...

Hi @Vulpix can you elaborate on the extra challenges faced by international students?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2017 at 8:10 PM, Vulpix said:

I have never encountered anyone looking down upon HGSE. If anything, I think WE are the ones with an inferiority complex, and not the other way around :)

I have met Harvard College graduates who do. But ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #elitism

Edited by Levon3

• 3 months later...
On 12/11/2017 at 6:50 AM, ShePersisted said:

I applied to the EPPE program as well (for Fall 2018 admission). 

Please share your stats! 

Unfortunately, I did not scores well in Quant :(

Thank you so much!

Hi ShePersisted! 

Stats: 

GRE Score: 170V, 165Q, 5.5AWA
GPA: 3.88; major gpa 4.0
Work Experience: Two years teaching English and being content lead for my subject area at an underserved public high school; I worked in various capacities for the college I attended while I was a student there. Research experience in undergrad, but no publications or anything. 
Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Top 20; private
Applied to: Stanford, Harvard, Vanderbilt, Berkeley, Princeton (Sociology), Columbia, UNC Chapel Hill, a few local universities

Edited by Espeon

On 12/15/2017 at 6:47 AM, Espeon said:

Hi ShePersisted! 

Stats: 

GRE Score: 170V, 165Q, 5.5AWA
GPA: 3.88; major gpa 4.0
Work Experience: Two years teaching English and being content lead for my subject area at an underserved public high school; I worked in various capacities for the college I attended while I was a student there. Research experience in undergrad, but no publications or anything. 
Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Top 20; private
Applied to: Stanford, Harvard, Vanderbilt, Berkeley, Princeton (Sociology), Columbia, UNC Chapel Hill, a few local universities

Hi Espeon! Thank you so much! 

All best,

Jc

• 2 years later...
On 8/31/2016 at 4:55 PM, aina7 said:

I attended two HGSE open houses and nobody supported this statistic. Each program at HGSE has its own admission statistics. Some programs are more popular and hence more competitive. Others are more lenient. 

Which program is more popular and which is not? Thank you ☺