Is an MA Soc program worth it?

timhorton

Long story short I've been having some serious doubts about if I want to complete a PhD in sociology. One, because it's a huge time commitment and two, I'm not going to a top institution so I'm worried about job placement (sidenote: if anybody knows about CUNY's soc program, specifcally immigration I have some questions for you). So I've been looking at soc MA programs, particularly 'applied' programs, such as the one at UMASS-Boston. (Link below) 

https://www.umb.edu/academics/cla/sociology/graduate_programs/ma

Does anybody know about job prospects for an applied MA program. Would it hurt that Umass isn't ranked as high as other institutions in the region, when it comes to looking for jobs? Umass has a survey research certificate which seems pretty applicable to the real world?

Any advice or experience with degrees of this type would be greatly appreciated. 

• 5 weeks later...

So most people will tell you that Soc MA programs are criminal enterprises that take advantage of students and bury them in debt with very little pay off.  To a degree, its true; however, like most things it depends on the student.  The MA programs at both Columbia and U Chicago are pretty awesome if you intend to take it seriously and use it to springboard to a T20 PhD program.  They're best for bright students who previously attended an unknown school or attended a known school but had less than desirable grades. 

As far as terminal MA degrees and job prospects? I can't help you there.

Since your name is timhorton, I'm guessing you might be Canadian?  If so, (even if you're not), have you considered applying to programs in Canada?  Most MA programs give full funding (ex, U of T guarantees tuition + $15,000) , so you won't be in debt, and it's less of a time commitment.  I can't make any comment on job prospects, but it might be something to look in to.

If you can get in to a for-pay terminal MA program at somewhere like Columbia or U chicago, then you can get into a low-ranked phD program and jump to a higher ranked program after you complete the MA. You will have an assistantship and stipend instead of $40k in student loans.

• 2 weeks later...