Nervous about getting in

Lwebster60

Hey guys,

So I plan on applying to grad school (an MSW Program) for Fall 2017. I'm absolutely nervous. I currently have a cumulative GPA of 3.325. I've had a rough patch my first 2 years, I was hospitalized for depression and even after I came out I was depressed for another year, had a bunch of self harming issues, eating disorder, etc which basically means  had a low GPA then. I decided to change my major from psychology to sociology, and then my GPA as well as happiness went up significantly.  I become more mentally stable. I had to withdraw from some courses to go to therapy (one this semester after my friend committed suicide), but I compensated the credits for summer courses and did well all my other courses I did not drop. I currently have two internships under my belt, one being with the Red Cross and doing career counseling in my school. Also from a few years ago, I have a wide variety in volunteer experience working with children and seniors. Writing is one of my greatest strengths, so I will have no issue writing powerful application essays. In fact, I was going to send part of my senior research project. 

It should be noted I am applying to schools that do not require the GRE. With my adversities, is my chances of getting into a program tough?

Edited by Lwebster60

Hi. You've been through some tough times - good for you for your perseverance.

As for admissions, depending on what programs you apply to I wouldn't worry much. Your internships, upward trajectory of your GPA (most programs want a 3.0 or higher), and your extracurricular activities should make a program want you. Red Cross, career counseling, internships ... all look and sound great. Just polish your personal statements and I think you'll be set.

This is an MSW; applying is not nearly the same amount of stress as wanting to get into a top tier MBA, law or PhD program. I will bet some money that the admissions committee won't be splitting hairs.

Just relax, be confident in what you have already. You'll be fine.

Edited by UrbanMidwest