When exactly to apply...

Hi all,

I'm taking pre-reqs right now and will be applying this upcoming fall/winter. So far I've taken 4, and am about to start 2 more. Do you think it's better to wait until those courses are finished (December 12th-ish) and THEN apply, or go ahead and apply while I'm still taking them? I'd honestly prefer to wait so that they see the completions and the grades, but I'm aware that the earlier you apply, the better shot you have at acceptance and in PARTICULAR at a GA or TA position.

As a 2-year applicant and current grad, I've never heard that applying earlier gets you any better shot at acceptance or GA positions, at least for our field. Just be sure to meet the deadline for applications. A lot of schools will not even decide financial stuff like assistantships until they make offers or even have a set cohort.

I applied the first time around when I was still an undergrad with deadlines of Jan 1. For those schools Im pretty sure I sent an updated transcript with fall courses. That's pretty common because many people apply before graduating and have unfinished courses or grades that post later. 

Huh. Interesting, jpiccolo. And yes I'm aware many are not open yet. Perhaps I'll go ahead and wait then. I'm not sure where I heard it, but I could have sworn someone said the earlier the better for GA positions. But maybe not! :)

Admission committees will not look at your application until after the deadline. You upload everything by X date, a secretary/assistant bundles applications together (what you uploaded plus other info such as LORs and scores), and only then the committee members receive applications. Unless otherwise stated in websites, applying early has no advantage. What you are allowed to do is begin the application but not submit it yet. 

FYI I've heard of schools who accept early applications and would waive your application fee. But even in this cases, they will not look at your application until later.