Question for career changers

I have a question for anyone who is a career changer into slp, did you continue to work your full time job while making the transition to Speech Language Parhology or did you quit and focus on activities more related to slp?  Currently I work full time at my non slp related job and I take Saturday pre req classes. I'm finding it difficult to volunteer/observe due to my limited availability. Any advice is highly appreciated!!

I don't have an answer, but I'm in the same boat. I'm working full time, trying to take pre-reqs, and squeezing in observations when I can. There's no way for me to volunteer, because everything I've found is during business hours or requires a 3-12 month commitment, which I can't make. It's so frustrating! I feel your pain. I keep trying to remind myself that people like us bring a form of diversity to an applicant pool. Our experiences will allow us to bring different things to the table than someone who is applying straight from undergrad will bring. Some schools will be into that, and others won't be, but you bloom where you're planted!

Best of luck! :-)

Edited by SopranoSLP

I think that's a question only you can answer.

I worked full-time while taking pre-req's (2 at most). I did 5 classes before applying - and I got into a program that included the rest of my leveling coursework. I did my observation hours when I wasn't taking classes so that free'd things up - I was able to get in 2 full Saturdays to get almost half of the 25 hours knocked out quickly. Now that I'm in, I have time to do many more hours at the in-house clinic while finishing my leveling coursework. 

Luckily, I was already working in an SLP-ish field - I was teaching English abroad. Obviously, it wasn't directly related but related enough. 

Hopefully something in there helps. When you're feeling bogged down - try to focus on the big picture :)

I'm also working full time while taking pre-requisites (2 per semester). It is definitely a ton of work and I usually spend at least one full weekend day per week doing homework. But like mcamp said, I keep trying to focus on the bigger picture. 

I was feeling similarly worried about my lack of observation hours and volunteer experience. I'm not taking any classes next Spring so I'm planning to do some observing and volunteering then which I will mention in my Statement of Purpose. I would also suggest checking to see if there are any SLP related non-profit organizations in your area. Sometimes they have events that are one time commitments (ie: annual fundraising events) that you can volunteer at. I know it's not the same as observation hours but at least it's something you can include on your application to show you're making an effort.

I agree with SopranoSLP that we are a diverse group of applicants and the admissions committee won't necessarily be side-by-side comparing us to the students who are coming right out of undergrad with SLP bachelor's degrees. I like to think of it as them having a quota: X many students with undergrad degrees and X many students who are career changers. Probably not exactly how it works, but it makes me feel better! Also, at an open house I attended at NY Medical College they said they actually seek out career changers because of their diverse perspectives, so there's that!

Follow up: If observations hours or something isn't specifically required, than I would imagine what you learn from the experience of it is much more significant than the number of hours completed. So, if you go ONE day to volunteer at an event like @ElKel87 mentioned above but can weave that into a fantastically inspiring experience to include in your personal statement, I'd say that is more significant than 25 hours observing an SLP that shows up as, "and I did some observations" on your personal statement. That is just my guess though, eh. Take it with a grain of salt.