How on earth am I going to afford getting an MSW?

whorecrux

My plan was to go to a University in my area (MD/DC) for an MSW in Behavioral Health (advanced standing, so it would start in January), a field that I've been working in for about a year (+ another year for my internship during my BSW). After chatting with one of my professors from my BSW about how I don't know if I'll be able to afford the school I've been looking at, she suggested that I look outside.

Her point was that there are other opportunities where rent is cheaper where I could also get tuition assistance while working. I already have 40k in debt and I don't really want to add too much onto it. I'm kind of familiar with PSLF which is enticing.

I have no problem with this idea since I'm essentially a "free agent". I don't have to stay where I am, but I am because I'm comfortable. I guess my question really is, how do I find these opportunities? Where do I start? I'm so overwhelmed.

Hi, totally in the same boat as you. i'm planning on applying to a MSW program in DC for January (part-time, not advanced standing) & and I have a lot of undergrad debt but I have no idea how I am suppose to afford this. Which school do you plan on applying to? Catholic? PM if you would like to talk. I'm starting to think that maybe I should go back to my home state (California) and apply to cheaper programs...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you want to stay in the DC-ish area, George Mason University has an Advanced Standing MSW program, you can go either clinical or social change concentration here. It's about 20k for tuition and it's cheaper to live about south of Fairfax (so, Manassas area) and commute in. Fair warning, the program has some growing pains since it's pretty young, but the professors are great.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/22/2016 at 9:28 AM, Sketchitar said:

If you want to stay in the DC-ish area, George Mason University has an Advanced Standing MSW program, you can go either clinical or social change concentration here. It's about 20k for tuition and it's cheaper to live about south of Fairfax (so, Manassas area) and commute in. Fair warning, the program has some growing pains since it's pretty young, but the professors are great.

Are you in this program? I am interested in this program as well, and would like to know more abou it. Please reply!