Welcome to the GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

  • Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Search forums
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)

1,674 posts in this topic

Hi all, 

I thought I'd start a thread specifically for those of us applying to Munk and other Canadian international affairs programs for fall 2017. 

Topic name begins with Munk simply because that's my first choice lol

Applications haven't opened yet but I figured, why not :)

Here's last cycle's thread: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, thanks for starting this thread. I have been following these threads for a couple years now, and its finally time to join the conversation as I too am applying for fall 2017. My choices are NPSIA and GSPIA. I am very nervous, having spent the last 2 years of my life obsessing over doing my graduate studies at NPSIA and I am currently in a final, crazy and desperate last-minute crusade to stack my CV as much as possible. What pulls you towards MUNK? What issue-area(s) do you want to pursue (i.e. international economy, conflict and human rights, development, etc.)? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2016 at 8:34 PM, mchutchi said:

Hi, thanks for starting this thread. I have been following these threads for a couple years now, and its finally time to join the conversation as I too am applying for fall 2017. My choices are NPSIA and GSPIA. I am very nervous, having spent the last 2 years of my life obsessing over doing my graduate studies at NPSIA and I am currently in a final, crazy and desperate last-minute crusade to stack my CV as much as possible. What pulls you towards MUNK? What issue-area(s) do you want to pursue (i.e. international economy, conflict and human rights, development, etc.)? 

I'm drawn to Munk because I went to U of T years ago. I also researched their MGA program, and found feedback from their current and past students to be very positive. My interests lie in immigration and social justice issues. 

How has your application prep gone so far?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will also be applying in the coming months to NPSIA, GSPIA and U of T's MPP. 

 

Best of luck to everyone applying for next year!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for starting the thread! 
I am also applying to NPSIA, GSPIA and Munk for International Affairs :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will also be applying to GPSIA and Munk. Does anyone know the difference between GPSIA and Munk in terms of career opportunities? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys,

I'm also applying to NPSIA and GPSIA shortly but this question is more so related to funding. Have y'all given some thought to the OGS and SSHRC? I know the former has a deadline for the 1st of December....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to friends of mine who applied for SSHRC last year, the process is time consuming and the selection process is rigorous. At first, I thought I might take a chance and apply, but its a lot of work and given the strength of my application I don't think I have much of a chance at being selected. That being said, those of you with stellar GPA's and impeccable CVs should definitely give it a shot. $17,000 is nothing to balk at!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I have decent to good grades, and a bland CV. I'm more focused on the OGS, given how close the deadline is. I've created an account with UOttawa and with Carleton, it seems that all I'd need is to turn in the documents after printing and sending or handing it to the department. Either way, I didn't give much thought to either till now and have a little over a month to think more specifically about my research interests and ask my references to write out the assessment forms. Alot to think and do for the next month. As far as SSHRC, from what I read, it seems the process is about the same as the other, but the deadline is also on December 1st (why so early, I don't know) and frankly don't think its suitable for someone who doesn't have very clear cut research goals set out already and impressive stats. Given the lack of time, I'll most likely focus on the OGS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, justajournalist said:

I haven't looked into those. Will do that tonight and see if we can discuss it here? 

Anyone else? 

Let us know what you find. As far as I know, you need to give a research/program statement or pretty much a letter of intent (which I haven't started working on..), transcripts, and two academic assessment forms (filled out by your references) and this has to be done for all programs you apply for. In my case, I'll have to do THREE of these by December 1st. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SSHRC is a much more time consuming process, but it's the more prestigious award of the two (though getting OGS is also a big accomplishment) and if you get it, it will look very good down the road when you're applying for jobs. 

To be frank, it doesn't really matter if you have clear cut research interests or not. Just come up with a research question. SSHRC will not follow up to see if you are actually carrying out the research you outlined on your proposal if you end up getting the award.

I am a current grad student and applied for both SSHRC and OGS last year. I would definitely recommend applying for both if you can. If you get one, all of the effort will pay off--literally. And like someone else mentioned, the amount of money they offer is nothing to balk at. 

Good luck everyone. 

 

 

Edited by abibret

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2016 at 10:08 PM, abibret said:

SSHRC is a much more time consuming process, but it's the more prestigious award of the two (though getting OGS is also a big accomplishment) and if you get it, it will look very good down the road when you're applying for jobs. 

To be frank, it doesn't really matter if you have clear cut research interests or not. Just come up with a research question. SSHRC will not follow up to see if you are actually carrying out the research you outlined on your proposal if you end up getting the award.

I am a current grad student and applied for both SSHRC and OGS last year. I would definitely recommend applying for both if you can. If you get one, all of the effort will pay off--literally. And like someone else mentioned, the amount of money they offer is nothing to balk at. 

Good luck everyone. 

 

 

Thanks for that! Given the approaching deadline, I've decided to simply apply for OGS this year (and hoping I get decent funding on top of that), although I will definitely apply for the SSHRC next year. Right now, I have to work on getting the OGS application done for the three programs I'm interested in while balancing my current semester and work. So unfortunately, I'll have to cut back on applying for the SSHRC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have any thoughts on how detailed we're expected to be when discussing the area of research we're interested in? I could see there being downsides to getting too specific, but I'm also wary of coming across as lacking direction. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just out of curiosity, for those of you planning on applying to NPSIA have you completed your intro micro/macro credit with the sufficient grade ? I am wondering how much of a stickler they'll be for the grade part even if we have the credit for the course completed. Frankly, I  don't think I can afford to pay $2,000 to complete an online course in micro/macro through Athabasca.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2016 at 5:07 PM, msat said:

Just out of curiosity, for those of you planning on applying to NPSIA have you completed your intro micro/macro credit with the sufficient grade ? I am wondering how much of a stickler they'll be for the grade part even if we have the credit for the course completed. Frankly, I  don't think I can afford to pay $2,000 to complete an online course in micro/macro through Athabasca.

I haven't completed as I'm taking it currently!! I have no idea but I'm hoping that if I get accepted, and given that it is a full year course, it may not be a deal breaker by the time May comes around if my offer is conditional.... The class is a pain in the ass for me..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, PoliticalNerd2017 said:

I haven't completed as I'm taking it currently!! I have no idea but I'm hoping that if I get accepted, and given that it is a full year course, it may not be a deal breaker by the time May comes around if my offer is conditional.... The class is a pain in the ass for me..

https://www.reddit.com/r/ottawa/comments/4cifkz/npsia_offer_of_admissions_w_conditions/

Sounds like it is a deal breaker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys,

I'm applying to NPSIA and Munk and possibly also BSIA or GSPIA as a backup.

Any idea how either weigh grades from exchanges? I know having gone on exchange is a bonus in itself, but I'm wondering if they'll look at the actual grades I got.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2016 at 9:01 PM, PoliticalNerd2017 said:

I haven't completed as I'm taking it currently!! I have no idea but I'm hoping that if I get accepted, and given that it is a full year course, it may not be a deal breaker by the time May comes around if my offer is conditional.... The class is a pain in the ass for me..

I was also gonna add that, I too, am currently taking the course. Like you, it is also a headache! Thank goodness GSPIA only wants the credit. I'd be equally happy to attend either of the Ottawa schools

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2016 at 11:06 AM, DefeatistElitist said:

Hey guys,

I'm applying to NPSIA and Munk and possibly also BSIA or GSPIA as a backup.

Any idea how either weigh grades from exchanges? I know having gone on exchange is a bonus in itself, but I'm wondering if they'll look at the actual grades I got.

No clue! You would have to ask them. My assumption is they would, if it is right there on your audit/transcripts, but not sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

Does anybody know how GPA is assessed at NPSIA and/or GSPIA - i.e., last 60 credits, last 20 courses, cumulative?  

 

Edited by mchutchi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today was the last day to get OGS applications in! Hope y'all applied. Do you guys have preferences between NPSIA and GPSIA? I'm a Carleton student currently and initially ranked NPSIA above GPSIA, but after looking at the faculty and courses, I'm beginning to think my research interests align with GPSIA more so. Up until this point, I've been told NPSIA is more prestigious but what do you guys think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, mchutchi said:

Hi all,

Does anybody know how GPA is assessed at NPSIA and/or GSPIA - i.e., last 60 credits, last 20 courses, cumulative?  

 

No clue! But I'm interested in figuring out the answer to this as well..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else find UOttawa's application process RIDICULOUS? Having to physically mail everything, needing official transcripts, not having an online form for referees.

Maybe I feel spoiled because Carleton and UofT's was so painless, but this is so inefficient I might just apply to BSIA as a backup instead...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now