3 minutes ago, DefeatistElitist said:

Not going to lie, the lack of online uploading was a decision in me not applying to UOttawa. This seems INSANELY inefficient to the point where I feel like it must reflect badly on the school.

Exactly!! A great school in all other respects but it has such archaic methods in this day and age. My thoughts, despite my frustrations were, university administration is something we seldom deal with and something I could overlook. Incredibly annoying though.

Anyone else apply to Carleton's MPPA? If so, I'm wondering why you may/may not be more drawn to doing an MPPA or doing a master's in international affairs (GSPIA/NPSIA) 

Edited by Hopeful2017

1 hour ago, Hopeful2017 said:

Anyone else apply to Carleton's MPPA? If so, I'm wondering why you may/may not be more drawn to doing an MPPA or doing a master's in international affairs (GSPIA/NPSIA) 

I am applying to Carleton's MPPA (as well as the Munk School for the MGA and the School of Public Policy and Governance for a MPP). The reason I chose a MPPA/MPP is that it gives you a much wider breadth of options for Canadian public policy from what people have told me and does not exclude you from foreign affairs. A MGA (or similar international affairs oriented degree) is very specific and hard to utilize in a Canadian setting aside from the Dept. of Global Affairs or a international intergovernmental position in one of the provinces or territories (but those are few and far between with most positions multitasking from my experience in intergovernmental affairs). I guess you could also use it in the private sector but again it is more specialized (not necessarily a bad thing) but for me I would rather have a wider breadth of opportunity and the MPP does not really limit your ability to apply for positions in the Dept. of Global Affairs from what my deputy minister told me during my internship this summer. 

Other people may see it differently but thats just my personal viewpoint on the issue :) My rankings for schools are 1) MPP @ SPPG, 2) MGA @ Munk, and 3) MPPA @ Carleton.

Edited by Duplified

7 minutes ago, Duplified said:

I am applying to Carleton's MPPA (as well as the Munk School for the MGA and the School of Public Policy and Governance for a MPP). The reason I chose a MPPA/MPP is that it gives you a much wider breadth of options for Canadian public policy from what people have told me and does not exclude you from foreign affairs. A MGA (or similar international affairs oriented degree) is very specific and hard to utilize in a Canadian setting aside from the Dept. of Global Affairs or international intergovernmental position in one of the provinces or territories (but those are few and far between with most positions multitasking from my experience in intergovernmental affairs). I guess you could also use it in the private sector but again it is more specialized (not necessarily a bad thing) but for me I would rather have a wider breadth of opportunity and the MPP does not really limit your ability to apply for positions in the Dept. of Global Affairs from what my deputy minister told me during my internship this summer. 

Other people may see it differently but thats just my personal viewpoint on the issue :) My rankings for schools are 1) MPP @ SPPG, 2) MGA @ Munk, and 3) MPPA @ Carleton.

A NPSIA/GSPIA degree can also be useful in departments such as CSIS and CSEC. 

43 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

In addition to my NPSIA and GSPIA applications, I also applied to Uottawa's MPA. 

2 hours ago, justajournalist said:

Anyone applying to Dalhousie MPA, even as backup? Just curious what folks know about that program

I've never heard of them having an MPA program! I think for a degree in public admin, it's probs best to do it in one of the big "more government" type cities like Ottawa or Toronto. I feel your coop opportunities and the ability to be close to the action, will be very useful to you if you do it in one of those cities. 

I've also applied to uOttawa's MPA program - but it seems more theoretical than Carleton's MPPA program, which seems a bit more practical and hands-on. 

52 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

I've never heard of them having an MPA program! I think for a degree in public admin, it's probs best to do it in one of the big "more government" type cities like Ottawa or Toronto. I feel your coop opportunities and the ability to be close to the action, will be very useful to you if you do it in one of those cities. 

I've also applied to uOttawa's MPA program - but it seems more theoretical than Carleton's MPPA program, which seems a bit more practical and hands-on. 

Well, Dalhousie is located in a provincial capital and their MPA program does have a reputation of having strong ties to the Nova Scotia provincial government.

And it's worth noting that the VAST majority of government/policy jobs are going to be in provincial or municipal government. I don't know much about the MPA program beyond what I've said above, but Dal is a highly underrated school in a great city.

47 minutes ago, DefeatistElitist said:

Well, Dalhousie is located in a provincial capital and their MPA program does have a reputation of having strong ties to the Nova Scotia provincial government.

And it's worth noting that the VAST majority of government/policy jobs are going to be in provincial or municipal government. I don't know much about the MPA program beyond what I've said above, but Dal is a highly underrated school in a great city.

Thanks for pointing out all those things! After Ontario, Nova Scotia is the next province I'd love to live and work in. 

Halifax is definitely fantastic! However, one issue with NS government jobs is their pay scales and the current scenario surrounding job cuts. I know that the cost of living is lower in the Maritimes (I am currently studying here), but 1800-2500 bi weekly before taxes (which is what most entry level positions in the NS government pay) does not leave a lot of wiggle room once you count for repaying student loans and all of your living expenses. Additionally, from what I have heard the upwards opportunities in NS are somewhat limited in the public service (but then again that is just from word of mouth). Dalhousie has a great campus though! 

1 hour ago, Duplified said:

Halifax is definitely fantastic! However, one issue with NS government jobs is their pay scales and the current scenario surrounding job cuts. I know that the cost of living is lower in the Maritimes (I am currently studying here), but 1800-2500 bi weekly before taxes (which is what most entry level positions in the NS government pay) does not leave a lot of wiggle room once you count for repaying student loans and all of your living expenses. Additionally, from what I have heard the upwards opportunities in NS are somewhat limited in the public service (but then again that is just from word of mouth). Dalhousie has a great campus though! 

That's plenty to get buy on in Halifax if you don't own a car and/or don't live alone. If you get a roommate or live with an SO Halifax is extremely affordable. Plus you have to factor in that the downtown is small and not stupid expensive so you can walk anywhere you want to go/will have virtually no commute.

1 hour ago, DefeatistElitist said:

That's plenty to get buy on in Halifax if you don't own a car and/or don't live alone. If you get a roommate or live with an SO Halifax is extremely affordable. Plus you have to factor in that the downtown is small and not stupid expensive so you can walk anywhere you want to go/will have virtually no commute.

Those are very good points! A car and single accommodations do eat up a budget. Plus there are lots of places downtown that are cheep and very nice as there is a lot of student housing for Saint Mary's and Dal (my friend is paying 425+utilities for her half of rent there).

But if you live outside of downtown, or your department is not located there and in Bedford for example you can have issues. Thats not to say that its not worth it though, but that you really need to consider moving to the Maritimes for positions unless you have taken everything into account. Plus income tax is much higher in Nova Scotia (and the Maritimes as a whole), 8.79% for the first 29k and 14.95% on the next 29k compared to 5.05% for the first 42k in Ontario (plus you need to add the 15% for Canada's base income tax rate). 

Edited by Duplified

46 minutes ago, Duplified said:

Those are very good points! A car and single accommodations do eat up a budget. Plus there are lots of places downtown that are cheep and very nice as there is a lot of student housing for Saint Mary's and Dal (my friend is paying 425+utilities for her half of rent there).

But if you live outside of downtown, or your department is not located there and in Bedford for example you can have issues. Thats not to say that its not worth it though, but that you really need to consider moving to the Maritimes for positions unless you have taken everything into account. Plus income tax is much higher in Nova Scotia (and the Maritimes as a whole), 8.79% for the first 29k and 14.95% on the next 29k compared to 5.05% for the first 42k in Ontario (plus you need to add the 15% for Canada's base income tax rate). 

True. But there are also the long run savings - 350K will get you a big house in the suburbs or a small house right in the city. That might buy you a trailer 80km outside Toronto.

42 minutes ago, DefeatistElitist said:

True. But there are also the long run savings - 350K will get you a big house in the suburbs or a small house right in the city. That might buy you a trailer 80km outside Toronto.

Is Toronto expensive too? I live in Vancouver and it is unreal. I bought a condo 60km outside of Vancouver and it cost me 270K. I am excited to do grad studies and hopefully begin my professional life in Ottawa because I heard it is a lot cheaper than Vancouver

24 minutes ago, mchutchi said:

Is Toronto expensive too? I live in Vancouver and it is unreal. I bought a condo 60km outside of Vancouver and it cost me 270K. I am excited to do grad studies and hopefully begin my professional life in Ottawa because I heard it is a lot cheaper than Vancouver

Toronto and Vancouver are par for the course. Difference being, on average wages tend to be higher in the GTA compared to the GVRD.

Three of my friends have been accepted into law school (Ottawa, Toronto, and Windsor). I am very nervous about everything now, and I am anxious to start receiving some responses from grad schools, what is the consensus on when we should hear back?

Last year Munk 1st round offers were made on March 1st. GSPIA was in the second half of March I believe? Other programs are all over the place but 1st round offers should be received during March from what I can gather. After that 2nd round offers will be in April and so on and so forth. Most law schools have much earlier deadlines than us (which probably accounts for the difference in hearing back) but it is still very nerve racking.

4 minutes ago, Duplified said:

Last year Munk 1st round offers were made on March 1st. GSPIA was in the second half of March I believe? Other programs are all over the place but 1st round offers should be received during March from what I can gather. After that 2nd round offers will be in April and so on and so forth. Most law schools have much earlier deadlines than us (which probably accounts for the difference in hearing back) but it is still very nerve racking.

Someone on last year's forum got accepted to GSPIA on Feb 11 and someone else on Feb 28. The first person sent their docs in early December, so maybe that made a difference. NPSIA: March 12th/13th in 2015, March 21 in 2016. BSIA: around end of March/early April in 2016, at least some offers in early March in 2016.

29 minutes ago, JV-K said:

Someone on last year's forum got accepted to GSPIA on Feb 11 and someone else on Feb 28. The first person sent their docs in early December, so maybe that made a difference. NPSIA: March 12th/13th in 2015, March 21 in 2016. BSIA: around end of March/early April in 2016, at least some offers in early March in 2016.

Yup Feb 11th and Feb 28th..This could be the first week we see some movement!

1 hour ago, JV-K said:

I doubt I will be receiving a response from GSPIA this month, I had to call in today and notify them that they have yet to upload my statement and that they only updated my resume..... SOOOOO this is going to be a very long wait. 

My GSPIA application is still "incomplete" as of right now. I don't know how fast they move from "complete" to "decision made" though, so who knows when it will be. :/

My Carleton applications are also at the 'preliminary review required" stage.

19 minutes ago, Norma955 said:

I doubt I will be receiving a response from GSPIA this month, I had to call in today and notify them that they have yet to upload my statement and that they only updated my resume..... SOOOOO this is going to be a very long wait. 

Hi @Norma955, what was their response when you called them? If you don't mind me asking. My resume hasn't been uploaded which is kind of crazy since I emailed it and mailed it. 

12 minutes ago, PoliticalNerd2017 said:

My GSPIA application is still "incomplete" as of right now. I don't know how fast they move from "complete" to "decision made" though, so who knows when it will be. :/

My Carleton applications are also at the 'preliminary review required" stage.

@PoliticalNerd2017 me too. My name starts with N, what about you?

Should we freak out that GSPIA is so slow and consider the possibility that our applications will not be forwarded for assessment ? The application portal says that "incomplete" files wont be assessed so I am assuming that its incomplete on their end for all of us here.