29 minutes ago, Nupur11 said:

@PoliticalNerd2017 me too. My name starts with N, what about you?

Should we freak out that GSPIA is so slow and consider the possibility that our applications will not be forwarded for assessment ? The application portal says that "incomplete" files wont be assessed so I am assuming that its incomplete on their end for all of us here. 

I would imagine that they will not make judgements until after all applications have at least been looked at (which were complete before the deadline), aside from exceptional applicants (aka the two people who received offers in February). If you submitted everything before the deadline I don't think you have anything to worry about. The pool of applicants needs to be established before decisions can be made, and it would be hard for the committee to start making judgements before baselines are established for the current year. 

Edited by Duplified

@Duplified Sure, makes sense. I submitted 3 days before the deadline. Anyway I see MGA in your program list? Any word from Munk? Also do you know if they offer specializations? Their curriculum doesn't show any, neither do they have a language requirement and there is very little about their career cell. Can you share any information on the job front? They have mentioned no on-campus placements. 

7 minutes ago, Nupur11 said:

@Duplified Sure, makes sense. I submitted 3 days before the deadline. Anyway I see MGA in your program list? Any word from Munk? Also do you know if they offer specializations? Their curriculum doesn't show any, neither do they have a language requirement and there is very little about their career cell. Can you share any information on the job front? They have mentioned no on-campus placements. 

@Nupur11 Thats good! You should be in the clear then regarding assessment. My application was moved to "under review" but there is nothing aside from that. They sent out 1st round offers on March 1st last year. From what I can tell the MGA has one specialization through a joint program in Asia-Pacific studies (however I believe you must apply to both departments in order to be accepted into the Asia-Pacific stream). The Munk School also does offer a Master of Arts in European and Russian Affairs. I met with them last semester when I was doing a little scouting trip to find schools to apply to and they did mention that they have capstone courses where you work with an organization (with some students working with development banks), in order to provide consultancy services. It appears as though most of their graduates find placements in the private sector and there are some job placement services. Also, Munk is one of the members of APSIA (Association of Professional Schools of International Affairs) of which Harvard, Yale, Columbia, John Hopkins and NPSIA are a part of. Regarding job placements, I do not expect to have great difficulties finding a job out of the Munk school (if I get in), but then again I am looking at it from an outside perspective. 

•  

•  

1 hour ago, PoliticalNerd2017 said:

My GSPIA application is still "incomplete" as of right now. I don't know how fast they move from "complete" to "decision made" though, so who knows when it will be. :/

My Carleton applications are also at the 'preliminary review required" stage.

1 hour ago, Nupur11 said:

Hi @Norma955, what was their response when you called them? If you don't mind me asking. My resume hasn't been uploaded which is kind of crazy since I emailed it and mailed it. 

I called and she asked for my student number and told me I should check back by the end of the day and that it should all be updated. However, I just received an email from the grad office telling me that everything has been uploaded, I checked the uozone and my application is still "incomplete" and my letter of intent is still not on there. I am not sure if this will have an impact on their decision but I was told a few weeks ago that they don't actually start evaluating applications until mid February because they know the grad office take time to sort through applications. 

4 minutes ago, DefeatistElitist said:

whoa! Mine's still preliminary review required. Maybe they go through alphabetically or by submission? My last name is with an "O"

My last name is an H. I was a day late uploading my supporting documents (problem with electronic transcripts) and one of my referees submitted the letter a couple days late. 

3 minutes ago, mchutchi said:

My last name is an H. I was a day late uploading my supporting documents (problem with electronic transcripts) and one of my referees submitted the letter a couple days late. 

That's pretty weird - I had everything good to go in December. Ah well. They'll get to it.

1 hour ago, Norma955 said:

I called and she asked for my student number and told me I should check back by the end of the day and that it should all be updated. However, I just received an email from the grad office telling me that everything has been uploaded, I checked the uozone and my application is still "incomplete" and my letter of intent is still not on there. I am not sure if this will have an impact on their decision but I was told a few weeks ago that they don't actually start evaluating applications until mid February because they know the grad office take time to sort through applications. 

Hmm..The GSPIA person I just spoke to basically told me the tired old spiel of "graduate studies department is backed up...2000 emails to sort through"...So I figure now I'm gonna just sit back and wait for my UOttawa account to update itself. 

2 hours ago, Norma955 said:

What number at UOttawa are you calling? I just keep getting voicemail :S

16 minutes ago, justajournalist said:

What number at UOttawa are you calling? I just keep getting voicemail :S

Oh believe me, I always get the voicemail the first time I call. It usually takes two phone calls per department for someone to pick up.

I've been on recommended for assessment for Carleton's MPPA program before the deadline even passed - hopefully this means good things? Defs getting pretty anxious about NPSIA though! Hopefully it changes sometime this week. Thanks again for everyone taking the time to post on this forum - its helped so much and it's a great place to ease the nerves. You all rock! 

So I got some information regarding the MPPA program at Carleton that might be useful for people. It looks like the decisions should be made at the end of this month, with offers following shortly thereafter :D 

Edited by Duplified

6 minutes ago, Duplified said:

So I got some information regarding the MPPA program at Carleton that might be useful for people. It looks like the decisions should be made at the end of this month, with offers following shortly thereafter :D 

YAY!