28 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

Are people on this forum still finishing their undergrad or have some took a bit of time off since undergrad? 

I took this year off. I think it was a good decision both for the money aspect and having gained some actually relevant work experience, which I previously did not have.

But getting back into the swing of studying is going to be a pain.

1 hour ago, Hopeful2017 said:

Are people on this forum still finishing their undergrad or have some took a bit of time off since undergrad? 

I am in my fifth year of undergrad, so I'm still finishing up. I decided to stay back to get my GPA up so I can apply for Masters. Plus since I am double majoring, I had some courses left over to do. 

How about you?

Also, just out of curiosity, what university is everyone from/graduated from? 

Edited by pixiedustxo

4 minutes ago, pixiedustxo said:

I am in my fifth year of undergrad, so I'm still finishing up. I decided to stay back to get my GPA up so I can apply for Masters. Plus since I am double majoring, I had some courses left over to do. 

How about you?

I finished my undergrad in December 2016 from uOttawa :) 

2 hours ago, pixiedustxo said:

How about you?

Still an undergrad student and finishing up my fourth and final year with this semester. I'm at Carleton.

I'm honestly so eager to hear back from GSPIA at the moment. Looking back at last year's thread, it appears that acceptances were sent out (one on the 11th) and most around last week of Feb and first week of March. This means it is right around the corner, with NPSIA a while after. One commenter on last year's thread said he/she got the documents confirmed and within 9-10 days, got an acceptance! So it appears, there isn't a huge gap between the "under evaluation" stage and decisions made.

5 minutes ago, PoliticalNerd2017 said:

I'm honestly so eager to hear back from GSPIA at the moment. Looking back at last year's thread, it appears that acceptances were sent out (one on the 11th) and most around last week of Feb and first week of March. This means it is right around the corner, with NPSIA a while after. One commenter on last year's thread said he/she got the documents confirmed and within 9-10 days, got an acceptance! So it appears, there isn't a huge gap between the "under evaluation" stage and decisions made.

So there's a good chance acceptances can start rolling out this week you think?!

1 minute ago, Hopeful2017 said:

So there's a good chance acceptances can start rolling out this week you think?!

Unless things are running late compared to last year, it seems like we could get word sometime next week (27th- 3rd). Although I haven't checked threads beyond last year, so I'm not sure if that was an exception or not.

44 minutes ago, PoliticalNerd2017 said:

Unless things are running late compared to last year, it seems like we could get word sometime next week (27th- 3rd). Although I haven't checked threads beyond last year, so I'm not sure if that was an exception or not.

Someone from GSPIA said I could expect answer by the beginning of March so it seems promising!

9 hours ago, Hopeful2017 said:

Im in my fourth year and finishing my degree with an honours in Political Science and minor in IR from Mount Allison. I have been very lucky to have had some amazing summer opportunities to work in government so I do not feel like a year off would give me a significant difference regarding where I want to end up (especially since I am already in love with Intergovernmental Relations). 

12 hours ago, Hopeful2017 said:

I graduated Feb 2016 so I've been out for a bit. I took the year to learn more and get better experience so that I could apply to my masters. I actually applied to Munk last year and it was the only school and I didn't get in but I think it was for the best because now I feel wayyyyy more prepared for whatever school I go to. 

Edited by bambing

5 hours ago, justajournalist said:

I think I'm the only one out of you guys with several years of work experience since finishing undergrad. I'm very excited to return to school. 

I'm in the same boat. I finished my undergrad at UWaterloo in 2012 and have been working since. It was great to get so much practical experience and I'm really looking forward to continuing studies.

I finished my BA (hons) in pol sci last spring but haven't been able to find any meaningful work experience since then so I used the time to keep boosting up my CV. Went to go volunteer overseas (refugee relief work) and did a couple publications and a couple conferences and took on a couple faculty research assistant positions and been doing some online volunteer work for the UN. Just trying to as much as I can to offset the fact that I have no work experience. 

I'm finishing off my last semester at Wind, I have some relevant experience, interned with the UNDP in the Middle East for the summer, and I have experience with research and as a TA and lots of volunteer and leadership stuff. Is anyone here into Model UN?

21 minutes ago, cinnamonchai said:

When do people expect to hear from Munk? :) 

Some people get offers around the beginning of March! It's unfortunate because I would have loved to apply/attend Munk but its tuition fees are crazy. 

51 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

Some people get offers around the beginning of March! It's unfortunate because I would have loved to apply/attend Munk but its tuition fees are crazy. 

Last year I was told decisions start rolling out mid-March onwards. I know people have gotten some decisions in March, some in April.

10 hours ago, justajournalist said:

Last year I was told decisions start rolling out mid-March onwards. I know people have gotten some decisions in March, some in April.

justajournalist did you apply there yourself last year?

thank you Hopeful2017! I am stressing out about their tuition fees, I can't afford going there :/ where did you apply out of curiosity?

30 minutes ago, cinnamonchai said:

justajournalist did you apply there yourself last year?

thank you Hopeful2017! I am stressing out about their tuition fees, I can't afford going there :/ where did you apply out of curiosity?

That was my problem too - over 21k per year on tuition alone + living costs in Toronto turned me away from Munk - especially the lack of funding they offer. Especially when there are significantly cheaper and comparable or even better programs here in Ottawa (GSPIA + NPSIA). Munk does look great but not great enough to justify its extreme price tag (IMO). 

I applied to GSPIA, NPSIA, uOttawa's Master of Public Administration, and Carleton's Master of Public Policy and Administration. I work at Global Affairs currently, so it was in my best interest to stay in Ottawa anyways so I could continue my employment there during my studies. How about you? :) 

6 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

That was my problem too - over 21k per year on tuition alone + living costs in Toronto turned me away from Munk - especially the lack of funding they offer. Especially when there are significantly cheaper and comparable or even better programs here in Ottawa (GSPIA + NPSIA). Munk does look great but not great enough to justify its extreme price tag (IMO). 

I applied to GSPIA, NPSIA, uOttawa's Master of Public Administration, and Carleton's Master of Public Policy and Administration. I work at Global Affairs currently, so it was in my best interest to stay in Ottawa anyways so I could continue my employment there during my studies. How about you? :) 

ah that makes sense! I am an international student, so I applied to Munk, Yale and Harvard for the European and Russian studies programs :) it really upsets me that none of these programs offer funding, and there is no chance I could get into a PhD with an undergraduate MA from a British uni... ugh this is so frustrating!

Have you heard from any other schools yet?