10 hours ago, Norma955 said:

The thing is those six pages are just the last four years of experience, but you're right I need to take some stuff out. I have been involved with Model United Nations for three years now, and that alone takes up 1/3 of my resume. Do you know what the standard number of pages is? 

If that's the case then trim how much you are expanding upon them. Model UN is obviously good to emphasize, but it isn't like the admissions committee is unaware of what it is. The second they see Model UN, in all likelihood they won't even read the description of what you did because it's a pretty typical thing for an IR masters applicant to have done. A sentence or two is all that you need.

9 hours ago, Norma955 said:

I promise the last post for the day: Is anyone here applying to MUNK?  I have a few questions regarding the admission statement and the first question which asks us to identify a global affairs question, topic, or problem that interests us, and reflects on how it is being addressed, and/or which provides an innovative approach to addressing it. Are we expected or allowed to cite academic sources here?

No. I have two friends at Munk now and neither of them cited anything in their statement. They just want you to show that you know what you're talking about/can make a nuanced argument.

7 hours ago, justajournalist said:

I'm still APPLYING, so yeah, nervous wreck is an understatement. 

Same. My letter of intent is still a skeleton draft sitting in a bunch of professors' mailboxes waiting for feedback. Spent the afternoon today lurking around the pol sci department trying to 'randomly' bump into those professors to ask if they had a chance to read it. After an hour I gave up and just sat in my car in the campus parkade imagining up various 'what-now' scenarios where I get rejected from each of the schools I am applying to. 

21 minutes ago, mchutchi said:

Same. My letter of intent is still a skeleton draft sitting in a bunch of professors' mailboxes waiting for feedback. Spent the afternoon today lurking around the pol sci department trying to 'randomly' bump into those professors to ask if they had a chance to read it. After an hour I gave up and just sat in my car in the campus parkade imagining up various 'what-now' scenarios where I get rejected from each of the schools I am applying to. 

I'm also scared for the letter of intent! I'm pretty burnt out from writing so many but hoping for the best! 

14 hours ago, mchutchi said:

I think we are all in the same position, every time I think I am ready to submit my statement I hold it off and try to edit it again. Needless to say, I think I am making it worse rather than better. The rejection scenarios are pretty overwhelming, stay positive guys! What's the worse that can happen, a no? (Look at me giving this pep talk that I am not even willing to imagine). Countdown till March! Hopefully, some of us at least get into 1 of our top schools. Best of luck! 

6 minutes ago, Norma955 said:

I think we are all in the same position, every time I think I am ready to submit my statement I hold it off and try to edit it again. Needless to say, I think I am making it worse rather than better. The rejection scenarios are pretty overwhelming, stay positive guys! What's the worse that can happen, a no? (Look at me giving this pep talk that I am not even willing to imagine). Countdown till March! Hopefully, some of us at least get into 1 of our top schools. Best of luck! 

Its totally not unheard of to write "many" drafts of a letter of intent. I know some people who spent months writing theirs, others who spent less time, but wrote a dozen or so versions before finally settling on a particular edit. The deadlines are looming, but we must not lose focus on the task at hand, which is to write a good letter!

5 hours ago, msat said:

Its totally not unheard of to write "many" drafts of a letter of intent. I know some people who spent months writing theirs, others who spent less time, but wrote a dozen or so versions before finally settling on a particular edit. The deadlines are looming, but we must not lose focus on the task at hand, which is to write a good letter!

Yup! Right now I'm sitting on one draft for the personal Munk statement, and one draft for the global affairs Q for Munk. Both are too long. I am going to start cutting now and then see how it goes.

2 hours ago, justajournalist said:

Yup! Right now I'm sitting on one draft for the personal Munk statement, and one draft for the global affairs Q for Munk. Both are too long. I am going to start cutting now and then see how it goes.

I just literally submitted my MUNK application, isn't it due on the 25th!? 

4 hours ago, pixiedustxo said:

I submitted my Munk app just a day before it was due! Who else is applying to Munk? What topic did you focus on/choose for the first question?

Also, who else is applying to NPSIA? The deadline is just a few days away! 

I applied! 

5 hours ago, pixiedustxo said:

I submitted my Munk app just a day before it was due! Who else is applying to Munk? What topic did you focus on/choose for the first question?

I am applying to NPSIA. Almost ready to submit all the docs. NPSIA is my 1st choice 

Anyone else applied for GPSIA or another UOttawa Masters and still doesn't have all their mailed-in docs checked off, despite having mailed them in weeks ago? My mailed-in transcripts should have arrived in mid-December, but uoZone still hasn't confirmed receipt. I have called them several times and they said they still haven't opened all mail from December. They said to call back on January 31, but if they didn't receive them, it'd be too late to order new ones and mail them (especially since I live abroad, so it will take a few days for even the quickest mail option to arrive there)! UOttawa's system is seriously frustrating!!!

32 minutes ago, JV-K said:

Anyone else applied for GPSIA or another UOttawa Masters and still doesn't have all their mailed-in docs checked off, despite having mailed them in weeks ago? My mailed-in transcripts should have arrived in mid-December, but uoZone still hasn't confirmed receipt. I have called them several times and they said they still haven't opened all mail from December. They said to call back on January 31, but if they didn't receive them, it'd be too late to order new ones and mail them (especially since I live abroad, so it will take a few days for even the quickest mail option to arrive there)! UOttawa's system is seriously frustrating!!!

Yes this happened to me. I applied to their Public Admin program too and it took forever for them to acknowledge my letter of intent. I ended up emailing them another copy of it and it got added to my file right away. Now my application's required documents for both that program and GPSIA are all checked off. Such a long process tho - not impressed.

5 hours ago, JV-K said:

I am applying to GPSIA and the School of Global and International Development (which is at Ottawa). The UOttawa process is extremely frustrating! Their online application doesn't allow you to check the status of your transcript or even anything else -_- plus they are the only school that requires you to actually mail your supporting documents! I called them two days ago and they received my transcript but it took like 2 weeks for that to happen. I have yet to mail in my GPSIA though :(

21 hours ago, pixiedustxo said:

I submitted the day of! My topic was on the refugee crisis in the Middle East and how it has hindered the development of Lebanon (among other states). What about you? I am also applying for NPSIA, I am going for the thesis option. Who else plans on taking the thesis route? 

4 minutes ago, mchutchi said:

The above comments are worrying me. I am sending my documents to GSPIA today from Vancouver to have them arrive on Monday the 30th. Maybe I am cutting it too close if GSPIA takes forever to open their mail? 

Don't worry I am in the same position, I plan on mailing mines out on Monday which means it'll arrive on Tuesday. As long as it arrives before the deadline, you're fine. They know that it takes awhile to go through all the mail and update our files, so they take that into consideration (plus your mail will indicate the day it was mailed out). Plus I was told that grad committees take this into consideration and won't actually start looking at applications until mid February. 

32 minutes ago, Norma955 said:

Don't worry I am in the same position, I plan on mailing mines out on Monday which means it'll arrive on Tuesday. As long as it arrives before the deadline, you're fine. They know that it takes awhile to go through all the mail and update our files, so they take that into consideration (plus your mail will indicate the day it was mailed out). Plus I was told that grad committees take this into consideration and won't actually start looking at applications until mid February. 

My assumption was that as long as you paid the application fee by the deadline, the supporting documents could arrive beyond the application deadline. I base this assumption on the fact that if one were to apply on the 31st (deadline being the 1st), its not physically possible for everything to get to OttawaU by the next day, unless you physically deliver everything in person, which for obvious reasons not everyone has the ability to do.