39 minutes ago, msat said:

My assumption was that as long as you paid the application fee by the deadline, the supporting documents could arrive beyond the application deadline. I base this assumption on the fact that if one were to apply on the 31st (deadline being the 1st), its not physically possible for everything to get to OttawaU by the next day, unless you physically deliver everything in person, which for obvious reasons not everyone has the ability to do.  

You're actually right! I was thinking of NPSIA, but for UOttawa that is the case, as long as you pay and submit the online application portion, everything else can follow after the deadline. 

43 minutes ago, mchutchi said:

Wait ... is being able to speak French an admission requirement for GSPIA? Did I seriously miss that completely? 

OttawaU is a fully bilingual institution. I believe in the letter of intent, one has to indicate their level of proficiency in French. Perhaps, time to pick up that phone again! 

43 minutes ago, Norma955 said:

You're actually right! I was thinking of NPSIA, but for UOttawa that is the case, as long as you pay and submit the online application portion, everything else can follow after the deadline. 

So, NPSIA requires all documents in by the deadline!? 

10 minutes ago, msat said:

So, NPSIA requires all documents in by the deadline!? 

From my understanding NPSIA does require all documents to be uploaded by the deadline. There is also a note somewhere that advises applicants to not wait until the last minute to upload their documents because the traffic can cause some problems/delays. 

13 minutes ago, msat said:

OttawaU is a fully bilingual institution. I believe in the letter of intent, one has to indicate their level of proficiency in French. Perhaps, time to pick up that phone again! 

This is terrible news. I am wondering if I can state that I will acquire level 1 knowledge of French before beginning the program. Definitely time to pick up that phone again. 

4 minutes ago, mchutchi said:

From my understanding NPSIA does require all documents to be uploaded by the deadline. There is also a note somewhere that advises applicants to not wait until the last minute to upload their documents because the traffic can cause some problems/delays. 

How am I supposed to upload my documents if I don't have access to Carleton Central?

4 minutes ago, mchutchi said:

This is terrible news. I am wondering if I can state that I will acquire level 1 knowledge of French before beginning the program. Definitely time to pick up that phone again. 

I'm in the same position. I am still applying, and am going to fully state that I'm going to pick up a course - what's the worst that can happen, right? I'll regret not applying and trying. 

42 minutes ago, mchutchi said:

I would call admissions ASAP and inquire about that. I know it takes a bit of time, X amount of business days, for access to CC to come through.

Just called Carleton, the lady I spoke to says "technically" the documents are due by the deadline. However, she usually allows about 1 - 2 days grace for the receipt/upload of those documents. 

5 minutes ago, msat said:

Just called Carleton, the lady I spoke to says "technically" the documents are due by the deadline. However, she usually allows about 1 - 2 days grace for the receipt/upload of those documents. 

I think it is safe to assume that you will have your CC access on Monday morning, Tuesday latest. As long as you have the documents ready to upload you should be good. 

5 hours ago, Norma955 said:

I submitted the day of! My topic was on the refugee crisis in the Middle East and how it has hindered the development of Lebanon (among other states). What about you? I am also applying for NPSIA, I am going for the thesis option. Who else plans on taking the thesis route? 

That's an interesting topic! I was also going to talk about the refugee crisis, but I decided to talk about the politics of cyberspace and cybersecurity. 

For NPSIA, I am thinking about either taking the research essay or the thesis route. Would I have to explicitly state this in my letter of intent? I am going back and forth between the two. 

17 hours ago, pixiedustxo said:

That's an interesting topic! I was also going to talk about the refugee crisis, but I decided to talk about the politics of cyberspace and cybersecurity. 

For NPSIA, I am thinking about either taking the research essay or the thesis route. Would I have to explicitly state this in my letter of intent? I am going back and forth between the two. 

For NPSIA - I don't think you need to explicitly state it. In my letter I am identifying the issue area(s) I want to address and then saying something along the lines of 'one possible project/direction that would allow me to address X Y and Z is ...' just to narrow it down and show some focus. But I think you can choose your route (thesis or essay) once you have already started the program. If I recall correctly, I think I even saw a note somewhere on the site that says students should talk to an adviser if they are undecided about which route to take. This would imply that you don't need to make up your mind (i.e. state it in your letter of intent) until way later. But, I could be completely wrong about this and I could have read that note on a different university's site as I am applying to a few schools. So if you hear otherwise please post on here! 

On January 27, 2017 at 5:40 PM, pixiedustxo said:

I am in the same boat regarding the thesis/research route, I don't think we have to mention it though. 

1 hour ago, Norma955 said:

Also how many schools/grad programs is everyone applying to? I am applying to five, and I am wondering if I should apply to more (just in case!). 

Two in total: NPSIA and GSPIA. 

I decided against a couple of programs I originally set out to apply to because of some last minute information I was given on them. What I find interesting is that this time last year I was contemplating applying to approximately 6 to 7 programs. As the months passed, and I became increasingly aware of which ones were realistic and which ones weren't for myself, slowly by slowly, many of them fell by the wayside. 

1 hour ago, Norma955 said:

Also how many schools/grad programs is everyone applying to? I am applying to five, and I am wondering if I should apply to more (just in case!). 

I applied to NPSIA and GSPIA - my only other consideration was MUNK but I wasn't particularly interested in either of the stream options. Plus I would prefer to move to and work in Ottawa. What clusters did you guys pick for NPSIA?

16 minutes ago, mchutchi said:

I applied to NPSIA and GSPIA - my only other consideration was MUNK but I wasn't particularly interested in either of the stream options. Plus I would prefer to move to and work in Ottawa. What clusters did you guys pick for NPSIA?

I would prefer to move to Ottawa too, originally I was going to apply to 8 programs but I knew that some of those schools I wouldnt want to attend so there was no point in applying. For clusters I choose project management and humanitarian aid, development policy, and conflict and resolution. What about you?

31 minutes ago, Norma955 said:

I would prefer to move to Ottawa too, originally I was going to apply to 8 programs but I knew that some of those schools I wouldnt want to attend so there was no point in applying. For clusters I choose project management and humanitarian aid, development policy, and conflict and resolution. What about you?

I applied to only four schools - GPSIA, NPSIA, Carleton's MPPA, uOttawa Public Admin. My clusters at NPSIA are: global public policy, international economic policy and intelligence - however I might change it to conflict. 

For NPSIA, the clusters I chose were: Intelligence and International Affairs, Conflict Analysis and Conflict Resolution, and International Development Policy. It was so hard to narrow it down to three.  I am going over my letter of intent, and will hopefully be submitting it tonight! Good luck to everyone. All that is left to do is play the waiting game. 

34 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

I didn't see any! 

I found this information under areas of specialization; Public Policy / International Affairs / Development Studies. But the school website doesn't mention this. Does anyone know anything about this?

http://www.uottawa.ca/graduate-studies/programs-admission/apply/specific-requirements?Org=API