On March 18, 2017 at 0:52 PM, hopeful9 said:

Does anyone know what the specialization at NPSIA requirements are? Are you forced to take classes within your specialization? If you choose a thesis option, does your supervisor have to be within your specialization?

If you want to receive a designation for your specialization when you graduate, then you need to take 3 courses in your field (1.5 credits). I would recommend doing it first year, because first year students receive priority in course selection. Even though you are technically assigned a specialization, you can also choose not to take those 3 courses and just receive a general M.A. in International Affairs (you will, however, still have to take the economics course associated with your specialization). 

What are people thinking re: NPSIA and thesis/research paper/coursework options? I would really rather not write another thesis - is the coursework option considered lesser in any sense or is it merely designed for those less interested in pursuing academia?

1 hour ago, abibret said:

If you want to receive a designation for your specialization when you graduate, then you need to take 3 courses in your field (1.5 credits). I would recommend doing it first year, because first year students receive priority in course selection. Even though you are technically assigned a specialization, you can also choose not to take those 3 courses and just receive a general M.A. in International Affairs (you will, however, still have to take the economics course associated with your specialization). 

Does this mean that I can divert from/change the cluster that I originally chose in my preferences when I applied to NPSIA? They make you choose three and I realize I actually want to do a totally different cluster. Any advice? 

Anyone have any thoughts on whether or not NPSIA might budge on the required B- grade for the econ requirement? I am taking micro right now, and the class average on the midterm was 39%. The class is graded on a curve with the class average being scaled up to a C+. I scored higher than the class average on the midterm BUT at the end of the day it is quite possible that I don't do better than the average and end up with a C+ and not a B-. I could always retake it during the summer so its not the end of the world but thinking wishfully has me hoping that perhaps the B- cut-off is a loose policy? Meh probably not. 

Edited by mchutchi
This was actually a stupid question. Why the heck would it be a 'loose policy' - talk about wishful thinking. Ugh how frustrating.

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question, thought maybe someone would have info. Got my NPSIA acceptance last week (YAY) and I was thinking about writing my LSAT this summer. Do you know if anyone has been able to do the dual MA-JD degree by applying in their first year of MA? Just wondering if I should bother or wait till I'm done and see if I still want to do it. ;-)

Also I haven't seen anyone on here talking about BSIA? Has anyone gotten their acceptances? I haven't heard anything yet and I was wondering if it's even worth waiting.... Such a small cohort!

Thanks and congrats to all!!

1 hour ago, dllnaube said:

Also I haven't seen anyone on here talking about BSIA?

Hey! I was admitted to the MAGG earlier this month. I haven't really seen anyone talking about the MIPP program though, so it's possible those admissions haven't come out yet. 

4 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

GSPIA has offered me 28,000.... NPSIA offered me 19k, 

Now i'm more torn than ever. 

Wow, congratulations!

What makes you interested in NPSIA more than GSPIA? From all I've heard U of O seems to have the better program, and they gave you the better funding package.

8 minutes ago, Kaspara said:

Wow, congratulations!

What makes you interested in NPSIA more than GSPIA? From all I've heard U of O seems to have the better program, and they gave you the better funding package.

I'm drawn to its reputation, the course-only option, I've heard it's a bit more on the practical side vs theory/research-based. It seems to have really great connections at GAC and at other private sector jobs. 

Help :( 

But, I find the profs at GSPIA more diverse and interesting. 

Edited by Hopeful2017

50 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

I'm drawn to its reputation, the course-only option, I've heard it's a bit more on the practical side vs theory/research-based. It seems to have really great connections at GAC and at other private sector jobs. 

Help :( 

But, I find the profs at GSPIA more diverse and interesting. 

I think that if you have some financial flexibility, funding shouldn't weigh too heavily on your decision, as both programs gave you enough to cover tuition + some extra. I've heard for both programs that there's more funding to apply to in 1st year (e.g. TA-ships, scholarships...), so you never know what you'll be able to get covered for your 2nd year of studies. Plus my understanding is that co-op is paid, so if you work full-time for 8 months out of the 24, you should be able to cover your remaining costs. I don't think either program will be a money making opportunity over the 2 years, but with the scholarships you've received + co-op option - and the fact that Ottawa is much cheaper rent-wise than, say, Toronto - you could break even (at least) for either one...

3 minutes ago, JV-K said:

I think that if you have some financial flexibility, funding shouldn't weigh too heavily on your decision, as both programs gave you enough to cover tuition + some extra. I've heard for both programs that there's more funding to apply to in 1st year (e.g. TA-ships, scholarships...), so you never know what you'll be able to get covered for your 2nd year of studies. Plus my understanding is that co-op is paid, so if you work full-time for 8 months out of the 24, you should be able to cover your remaining costs. I don't think either program will be a money making opportunity over the 2 years, but with the scholarships you've received + co-op option - and the fact that Ottawa is much cheaper rent-wise than, say, Toronto - you could break even (at least) for either one...

I'll be living at home during my studies so rent isn't a factor in my funding decision! 

4 minutes ago, RandomName123 said:

Hello all, 

My offer from NPSIA included a "Research Scholarship." Does anyone know if this is an RA-ship, or if it is a cash scholarship? 

It's an RA-ship.

12 hours ago, Supa said:

Does this mean that I can divert from/change the cluster that I originally chose in my preferences when I applied to NPSIA? They make you choose three and I realize I actually want to do a totally different cluster. Any advice? 

From what I heard, you need special approval to switch streams, as each stream has a designated number of students. What stream are you in now and which are you thinking of switching to? 

Just an aside, what are everyone's thoughts on graduating w/ an International Affairs MA vs. graduating w/ an International Affairs MA w/ a particular field designation? Do you anticipate either the former or the latter improving or worsening job prospects?

14 hours ago, Supa said:

I'm having the same issue as you are. I just got off the phone with someone at NPSIA who told me that the fields of Intelligence, Conflict Analysis, and one more (Security and Defence Studies?) are already overly full so she said it was "extremely difficult" to switch into them and gave no indication of how it would be possible. If it's something else that you wanted to move into though then it may be ok! According to this (https://npsiasa.wordpress.com/faqs-for-new-students/) it says that you should contact Tabbatha Malouin in order to discuss changes. I called her number but ended up talking to Patricia instead. Good luck!

I just wanted to say a quick thank you to everyone who's been contributing to this thread. I've been creeping it for a while but I never commented because I thought there was no way that I would get in (I applied to NPSIA, GPSIA, and Munk). 

About two days ago I got an offer of admission to NPSIA, and waitlisted for Munk. 

So, here's to seeing some of you in September :)

4 minutes ago, holyshit said:

I just wanted to say a quick thank you to everyone who's been contributing to this thread. I've been creeping it for a while but I never commented because I thought there was no way that I would get in (I applied to NPSIA, GPSIA, and Munk). 

About two days ago I got an offer of admission to NPSIA, and waitlisted for Munk. 

So, here's to seeing some of you in September :)

Scroll back a few pages and join the Facebook group!

Have any of the people that were accepted into Munk and were told via email that they would be contacted later if they were to receive an MGA scholarship heard anything back?

Just now, theorynerd said:

Has anyone else still not heard from GSPIA? I had the Incomplete file listing for a while and ended up emailing and sending them electronic copies of my files. I am getting very impatient 

My status updated to Under Evaluation just a few days ago despite having sent in my documents in December. I called today to ask about a timeline for acceptance and mentioned that I needed to respond to other offers soon. The person on the phone couldn't give me any indication of when I would hear back from them and didn't even ask for my name or anything. I've been super unimpressed with GSPIA during this whole process and it has really made me reconsider my desire to go there, which is too bad since I know they are meant to have a great program. But anyways, you are not alone haha.

2 minutes ago, IA2017 said:

My status updated to Under Evaluation just a few days ago despite having sent in my documents in December. I called today to ask about a timeline for acceptance and mentioned that I needed to respond to other offers soon. The person on the phone couldn't give me any indication of when I would hear back from them and didn't even ask for my name or anything. I've been super unimpressed with GSPIA during this whole process and it has really made me reconsider my desire to go there, which is too bad since I know they are meant to have a great program. But anyways, you are not alone haha.

That is good to hear... I am so exasperated! I want to say screw it and go for NPSIA, especially since most people seem to be getting less funding from GSPIA, but @Hopeful2017 you have inspired me to wait with the additional funding you got

Hey guys! I'm in the decision making process and suddenly feel so torn between NPSIA and GSPIA. On one hand, NPSIA has more flexibility in my course schedule (GSPIA forces you to take four core classes in the fall, and four more in the winter although two are elective choices), and obviously the research paper is a must. I've heard conflicting things about co-op opportunities at both schools, and given the fact that NPSIA accepted somewhere around 115 students this year, I feel cynical about what they can offer. I'm also getting some jitters about the French course we have to do at GSPIA, but really prefer the faculty at GSPIA over NPSIA. HELP. Funding from both schools was close enough to not make a difference. 

29 minutes ago, IA2017 said:

Have any of the people that were accepted into Munk and were told via email that they would be contacted later if they were to receive an MGA scholarship heard anything back?

I received a scholarship in one of the PDFs that they sent in the email offer.

20 minutes ago, PoliticalNerd2017 said:

Hey guys! I'm in the decision making process and suddenly feel so torn between NPSIA and GSPIA. On one hand, NPSIA has more flexibility in my course schedule (GSPIA forces you to take four core classes in the fall, and four more in the winter although two are elective choices), and obviously the research paper is a must. I've heard conflicting things about co-op opportunities at both schools, and given the fact that NPSIA accepted somewhere around 115 students this year, I feel cynical about what they can offer. I'm also getting some jitters about the French course we have to do at GSPIA, but really prefer the faculty at GSPIA over NPSIA. HELP. Funding from both schools was close enough to not make a difference. 

uOttawa also admitted more students into their program this year tho - only the top half of the class get coop. My friend in first year said only 20-30 people got it out of a cohort of 90 students. So, I wouldn't base it off coop - NPSIA seems like the better option of the two for coop since they are so well regarded in Ottawa. Tabbatha also told me their placement rates are nearly 100 percent. The recognition at NPSIA is far better to land you coop opportunities than uOttawa, I'd say. 

My friend at GAC told me the professors at NPSIA are amazing and that a lot of the classes were very practical and gave hard skills that helped her in various federal job competitions. 

As much as I love the faculty at GSPIA - with a course load that heavy, especially if you do the pass/fail econ course, will you even have a lot of time to connect a lot outside of the classroom? Attend a lot of round tables and networking events? My friend at GSPIA said the first semester is VERY dry and heavy theory. And there is a lot of cool events but she's so swamped and stressed out that she can barely attend things. 

34 minutes ago, theorynerd said:

That is good to hear... I am so exasperated! I want to say screw it and go for NPSIA, especially since most people seem to be getting less funding from GSPIA, but @Hopeful2017 you have inspired me to wait with the additional funding you got

I received 12,000 and a "merit scholarship" for my grades. This can range anywhere from 3-6k. I got 6,000. 

Also, I received a guaranteed TAship - 5,400 that I can do in second year. So actually, it's 23,400. BUT I have the option to apply for other TAships, so it could amount to more.

Sorry, I assumed the TAship was for both years, that's why I thought it was 28,000 total. But Nancy said I'm only guaranteed the one year, so 5,400.