2 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

uOttawa also admitted more students into their program this year tho - only the top half of the class get coop. My friend in first year said only 20-30 people got it out of a cohort of 90 students. So, I wouldn't base it off coop - NPSIA seems like the better option of the two for coop since they are so well regarded in Ottawa. Tabbatha also told me their placement rates are nearly 100 percent. The recognition at NPSIA is far better to land you coop opportunities than uOttawa, I'd say. 

My friend at GAC told me the professors at NPSIA are amazing and that a lot of the classes were very practical and gave hard skills that helped her in various federal job competitions. 

As much as I love the faculty at GSPIA - with a course load that heavy, especially if you do the pass/fail econ course, will you even have a lot of time to connect a lot outside of the classroom? Attend a lot of round tables and networking events? My friend at GSPIA said the first semester is VERY dry and heavy theory. And there is a lot of cool events but she's so swamped and stressed out that she can barely attend things. 

2 minutes ago, Hopeful2017 said:

I received 12,000 and a "merit scholarship" for my grades. This can range anywhere from 3-6k. I got 6,000. 

Also, I received a guaranteed TAship - 5,400 that I can do in second year. So actually, it's 23,400. BUT I have the option to apply for other TAships, so it could amount to more.

Sorry, I assumed the TAship was for both years, that's why I thought it was 28,000 total. But Nancy said I'm only guaranteed the one year, so 5,400.  

Did they attach it to you original offer or did they tell you about the T.Aship later?

3 minutes ago, PoliticalNerd2017 said:

I got the 12,000 in the attached PDF and they briefly said I would get more info about the merit scholarship. I emailed Nancy today and she told me about the 6,000 merit scholarship and the TAship. 

I'm in a similar boat with someone who mentioned that they are unsure if the B- Econ requirement is strict. I'm taking 7 courses this semester and have struggled in the class along with the rest of the class, the average is pretty low... I emailed Tabatha but she is out today. Waiting for her response. Either way, I'm not leaning to NPSIA...

For any of you still waiting on Munk scholarship e-mails - I'm in the same boat. However, I anticipate mine taking a little longer as, after a conversation with Elyshia, I sent a copy of my funding offer from NPSIA for them to take into consideration. So we'll see what they say. I'm not expecting much though and if it's anything less than 150% of what Carleton offered I'm going to reject it on the spot.

39 minutes ago, PoliticalNerd2017 said:

I'm in a similar boat with someone who mentioned that they are unsure if the B- Econ requirement is strict. I'm taking 7 courses this semester and have struggled in the class along with the rest of the class, the average is pretty low... I emailed Tabatha but she is out today. Waiting for her response. Either way, I'm not leaning to NPSIA...

Even if I choose uOttawa, I will still do econ in the summer. Four master's courses plus the mandatory econ pass/fail course will be a lot anyways. Just something for people to consider!

32 minutes ago, Nupur11 said:

If there is no ranking at MUNK for the waitlisted students, how will they decide? Don't tell me they will evaluate all the files again.

From what I understand,  that is what they do. Source: I was waitlisted 2 years ago and that's what they told me. Personally, I think it's a pretty wishy-washy answer because that is a ridiculous waste of time and resources . They probably have an internal waitlist that they just don't want to divulge. 

For those curious, I obviously didn't end up getting off the waitlist.  I don't think I ever received an official letter of decline from them. I remember asking during the next cycle of application what I could do to improve my application. Lady I spoke with told me that if it had been her on the committee, she would have admitted me because she didn't see anything glaringly deficient in my application and it was solid. She advised that it often came down to who was on the admission council that year because professors or whoever tend to be subtly biased towards those with similar research interest as them. I ended up applying again and just rewrote a stronger personal statement......and got rejected. So...... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I got waitlisted for NPSIA last year and was told the same thing - that they re-evaluate before each round of offers. I gave up expecting an offer of admission around May. I actually didn't end up receiving the official email declining admission until....October...when I had already started my new application. 

I have not received an email indicating my status so far this year. My application is on "Recommended for Admission". I emailed Tabbatha today to get time frames. I thought it was odd that first round offers had gone out but no one has received any word on if their application was declined or put on hold. If I remember correctly, I received my email informing me my application was put on hold the same day or the day after the first round of offers went out last year.

I'm planning on applying to do a second degree if it doest work out this year because my main problem is that my grades a very solid until my last year/semester which is what most MA programs look at for admissions since they consider the last 2 years. I had all A/B+, a couple of B's, and one C+ until then. Then brilliant me decided to stay an extra year and take some "GPA boosters" and completely bombed them due to combination of stress from my personal life and just a general burn out. 

Anyway, all in all, I'd rather hear back from NPSIA sooner rather than later.

I emailed some professors at GSPIA about the program - one of which being Roland Paris. He invited me to discuss on the phone this Friday so I'm hoping our chat will solidify my decision. As well, I emailed NPSIA about possibly increasing my funding to match uOttawa's offer. 

Fingers crossed! 

5 hours ago, YYCapplicant said:

Against all odds and expectations I was accepted to my preferred program at Oxford! I'm still weighing things out at NPSIA but will be rejecting my Munk offer today or tomorrow. Hopefully a spot will open up soon for those on the waitlist! 

Congratulations! What program did you apply to?

10 minutes ago, thebigcheese said:

Congratulations! What program did you apply to?

Thanks! It is the MSc Global Governance and Diplomacy. Of all the programs I applied to, I think it will be the best fit in terms of my research and career interests.

Just found this thread. I got accepted onto the MGA at Munk on Wednesday with a $17,000 scholarship. I'm still waiting to hear from the universities of Oxford, Durham and Amsterdam, but I'm I think it has got to be Munk with the internship opportunity.

5 hours ago, RandomName123 said:

Does anyone know how to reject a TA-ship offer from NPSIA? I want to accept an RA-ship and offer of admission, but I want to reject the TA-ship. Thanks :)

Once you accept your offer, when you go to the tab for accepting funding/awards, you accept/decline each one. So you could accept the RA-ship but reject the TA-ship.

On 3/20/2017 at 0:50 PM, RandomName123 said:

From what I heard, you need special approval to switch streams, as each stream has a designated number of students. What stream are you in now and which are you thinking of switching to? 

Just an aside, what are everyone's thoughts on graduating w/ an International Affairs MA vs. graduating w/ an International Affairs MA w/ a particular field designation? Do you anticipate either the former or the latter improving or worsening job prospects?

I chose International Development Policy, International Organizations and Global Public Policy, and Project Management. I wanted to switch to Intelligence and International Economic Policy. I'm assuming it will have an impact on my future career path but I'm not sure. Just emailed Tabbatha. 

Just an update on NPSIA. Tabbatha got back to me and said she just sent out another round of offers. She also stated that all applicants will get an email about the status of their application by the end of this week. 

12 hours ago, JV-K said:

Once you accept your offer, when you go to the tab for accepting funding/awards, you accept/decline each one. So you could accept the RA-ship but reject the TA-ship.

Thank you :)

Finally accepted. Feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Hopefully we will all feel the same sense of relief soon!

Hey guys, 

I got accepted to NPSIA (I got OGS, the Ontario Graduate Scholarship which amounts to $15,000 as well as an additional $14,000 with the potential of a TAship so basically $29,000 +), for GSPIA (I received a 12,000 scholarship, a $6,000 merit scholarship and a $5,500 TAship), for the MUNK School of Global Affairs (the scholarship is only $5,000 which is nothing compared to their $30,000 a year tuition). I also applied to the School of International Development and Global Studies (SIDGS at the University of Ottawa) -->($15,000 scholarship and a minimum $18,000 RAship/TAship). I have finally made my decision and I just accepted my SIDGS offer... I feel a lot better and I am no longer going to overthink this. I just wanted to let you guys know because you have all been a tremendous source of support and help. For those who have been waitlisted to any of these programs I am declining my other offers so that means a new opening and more scholarship money for ya'll. Best of luck guys! Who here is going to be attending SIDGS? 

Also, since I basically don't know anyone in Ottawa I would still love to meet up with some of you despite the fact that I will not being going into the same program since many of you seem to have applied to either GSPIA or NPSIA. 

3 hours ago, Duplified said:

Question. For those on the waitlist for Munk, have your statuses changed to decision made? 

Hey. Yeah, just checked and my status has been changed to decision made... Not sure if that is good news or bad news. The same for you?