16 minutes ago, notsurename said:

Hi there,

I saw a few pages back someone mentioning that there was the potential to "put schools against each other" to try and get more funding. Does anyone have experience with this? Or in general asking a school to match funding from another school?

Its reasonable to ask schools to do so, especially if the financial support is big part of your decision making process. You won't be the first student or the last to ask them about it, and if they say they can't it isn't a big deal. 

My experience with this thus far has been they'll generally ask you to send them your other offer letters and they'll see what they can do. Usually it's only maybe another 3-4k, but I've seen some people post saying they have received significant additional funding. 

I applied to the Munk School of Global Affairs. My application had been "under review" for ages, and about a week ago, I got an email saying I was waitlisted. Only today did my application status change to "decision made" - could it be that I was rejected already? I always tend to assume the worst, and even when applying, I was almost certain I wouldn't get in, but I wanted to try my best anyways so that I would have no regrets. I just want to know what the decision is, accepted or rejected. I cannot tolerate uncertainty, haha. 

Edited by SweetPotato1996

5 minutes ago, Investigate311 said:

Hahahaha, for those of us on the Munk waitlist I'm pretty sure that the decision made switch is just playing catch up. 

I think that may be the case? But then again who knows? But it does seem strange that so many people got on the "decision made" page so soon, and according to my friend her acorn still does not show the change. Hopefully though! Fingers crossed for everyone :) 

13 minutes ago, Duplified said:

I think that may be the case? But then again who knows? But it does seem strange that so many people got on the "decision made" page so soon, and according to my friend her acorn still does not show the change. Hopefully though! Fingers crossed for everyone :) 

Yes I am also waitlisted for Munk, and just changed to decision made. I also have nothing showing on Acorn. I think this is just across the board for all waitlisted.

Hello,

I am a little off with calculating IA program cost. Is it 21250 CAD$ the total cost + Accomodation + Food etc.

Can I complete this in one year ? Is program length actually 2 years or 1 YR + internships. Anyone knows exactly? Thanks.

On 22/03/2017 at 2:41 PM, Irwi said:

Hi there, So, if I haven't heard back from NPSIA yet, does this meant I can expect to be waitlisted? I have already been waitlisted by Munk.

No, it could be that you are waitlisted or they will decline your application. As far as I know, no rejections have been sent out either. They might also send out another round of offers at the same time. 

Finally admitted into GSPIA! Still haven't received an email but my status updated on my admission file.

Question for people who received an admission scholarship:

I've received one for $6000 per year, paid in installments of $2000 dollars each term (Fall, Winter, and Spring/Summer). Under the conditions of the scholarship it says I need to be registered full-time every term for the duration of the scholarship. Does this really mean I need to be registered full-time and paying fees over the summer or is it just worded strangely? Did anyone else have this issue? 

1 hour ago, justapersonwhochangednames said:

Hi I just checked my Uozone status, GSPIA put me on the waitlist, so if anyone doesn't want to accept their offer, please decline it :P lol

Did you get accepted to NPSIA too? 

I emailed Munk regarding the SGS application status change and was informed that it only related to the decision of placing us on the waitlist. Sorry everyone :(

36 minutes ago, SweetPotato1996 said:

Well I think my chances of getting into Munk off the waitlist are pretty slim, maybe I should just opt out now? So that I don't need to think about it anymore and make other plans? 

keep yourself on the waitlist. it doesn't hurt to just leave it be. 

did you apply anywhere else (it's okay if you didn't).

When getting offers from GSPIA, did funding come in two rounds? My offer has an admissions scholarship and says that word of a merit scholarship will come soon - also haven't received any formal notice by email yet, this is just in the uoZone portal. Anyone else have the same thing happen, and did you hear back with a better offer?

11 minutes ago, justapersonwhochangednames said:

keep yourself on the waitlist. it doesn't hurt to just leave it be. 

did you apply anywhere else (it's okay if you didn't).

Ok, I will just stay on then. I didn't apply to any other programs for international affairs, but I did apply for other masters programs - like Master of Information at U of T. 

2 minutes ago, SweetPotato1996 said:

Ok, I will just stay on then. I didn't apply to any other programs for international affairs, but I did apply for other masters programs - like Master of Information at U of T. 

Sounds like a plan! I wish you the best of luck. I'm on the waitlist for GSPIA so you're not alone in the waiting boat (alrthough I am less nervous because of another offer).

Also, you might want to email Queen's MPA and see if they're accepting applications...I feel like they are. If that's something you're interested in. And I think Dalhousie MPA deadline is still in a few weeks.

4 minutes ago, justapersonwhochangednames said:

Sounds like a plan! I wish you the best of luck. I'm on the waitlist for GSPIA so you're not alone in the waiting boat (alrthough I am less nervous because of another offer).

Also, you might want to email Queen's MPA and see if they're accepting applications...I feel like they are. If that's something you're interested in. And I think Dalhousie MPA deadline is still in a few weeks.

Thank you very much! Congratulations on your offer, at least now you can relax a bit :). I guess I can check those out, I wish I had applied for other programs in this field, but I thought since my undergraduate major is unrelated, I wouldn't have a high chance anyways. 

25 minutes ago, theorynerd said:

When getting offers from GSPIA, did funding come in two rounds? My offer has an admissions scholarship and says that word of a merit scholarship will come soon - also haven't received any formal notice by email yet, this is just in the uoZone portal. Anyone else have the same thing happen, and did you hear back with a better offer?

This happened to me too. I haven't gotten the new official funding offer yet though - but Nancy told me that I got 12k, 6k merit scholarship and a guaranteed TAship worth 5,400. 

1 minute ago, Hopeful2017 said:

This happened to me too. I haven't gotten the new official funding offer yet though - but Nancy told me that I got 12k, 6k merit scholarship and a guaranteed TAship worth 5,400. 

Good to know, thanks Hopeful2017! 

4 minutes ago, SweetPotato1996 said:

Thank you very much! Congratulations on your offer, at least now you can relax a bit :). I guess I can check those out, I wish I had applied for other programs in this field, but I thought since my undergraduate major is unrelated, I wouldn't have a high chance anyways. 

Yoooooo we're in the same boat. You are basically me circa 2016 :P 

Check out the rolling deadlines for some places. Consider doing a graduate certificate as well. I know someone who did Seneca's govt relations cert and then landed a cool job at a not-for-profit, which they started after doing an internship with a Canadian embassy abroad. Then they left the gig to do a NATO-related internship in Europe. Just an anecdote! 

4 minutes ago, justapersonwhochangednames said:

Yoooooo we're in the same boat. You are basically me circa 2016 :P 

Check out the rolling deadlines for some places. Consider doing a graduate certificate as well. I know someone who did Seneca's govt relations cert and then landed a cool job at a not-for-profit, which they started after doing an internship with a Canadian embassy abroad. Then they left the gig to do a NATO-related internship in Europe. Just an anecdote! 

Cool! I am so confused as to what to do with my life now.... I am considering all kinds of options. But I guess there's no rush (especially since this year I am finishing a four year BA after only 3 years).