2 hours ago, JV-K said:

Did you apply to OGS as well as SSHRC? I feel like SSHRC is more prestigious, but the money is actually almost the same if I'm not mistaken ($15000 as long as you have 3 full-time terms of study vs $17500, right?).

Also, I think that SSHRC is portable (so if you get offered the award it can be used at any of the unis you put on your SSHRC application - I think any Canadian university basically). So wouldn't have to sway your choice to one school or another.

No, I missed out on applying to OGS, which I regret. The one nice thing about SSHRC is the schools will usually top it up - independent of other funding you're getting, so it works out to usually be between $22,500 and $24,000. 

I also thought that was the case when I applied, but that is no longer true. When the CGS-M was centrally adjudicated, it used to be portable but now that they're done at the university level, you have to petition the school to allow you to take it elsewhere. 

7 minutes ago, sonsofeasterly said:

No, I missed out on applying to OGS, which I regret. The one nice thing about SSHRC is the schools will usually top it up - independent of other funding you're getting, so it works out to usually be between $22,500 and $24,000. 

I also thought that was the case when I applied, but that is no longer true. When the CGS-M was centrally adjudicated, it used to be portable but now that they're done at the university level, you have to petition the school to allow you to take it elsewhere. 

Oh, that's too bad that it's no longer easily portable. It doesn't really make sense because the SSHRC decisions generally come out after one might have to accept/reject offers.

1 hour ago, nnsml said:

Is there a deadline to accept Munk's offer? (Asking as someone on the waitlist)

Although I am also on the waitlist, I believe they gave three weeks. Some of my friends reported this week as their deadline.

3 hours ago, nnsml said:

Is there a deadline to accept Munk's offer? (Asking as someone on the waitlist)

I've rejected already but the deadline I was given was April 4th. Good luck!

On 3/31/2017 at 1:44 PM, sonsofeasterly said:

SSHRC decisions are out!!! (or at least some of them) I was offered it for the 2 schools that I applied to. Do you know how top ups work (e.g. should I email the school where I've accepted their admissions offer and ask if they'll top up my SSHRC)? I was leaning towards doing the course based track at NPSIA (because that's possible with OGS) but I'm pretty sure that if one accepts SSHRC one has to do MRP or thesis track. So I'd probably only opt for MRP/thesis track if NPSIA tops it up (e.g. if I can get more than just the $2500 extra from SSHRC vs. OGS).

4 hours ago, JV-K said:

SSHRC decisions are out!!! (or at least some of them) I was offered it for the 2 schools that I applied to. Do you know how top ups work (e.g. should I email the school where I've accepted their admissions offer and ask if they'll top up my SSHRC)? I was leaning towards doing the course based track at NPSIA (because that's possible with OGS) but I'm pretty sure that if one accepts SSHRC one has to do MRP or thesis track. So I'd probably only opt for MRP/thesis track if NPSIA tops it up (e.g. if I can get more than just the $2500 extra from SSHRC vs. OGS).

Yeah, you're correct about having to do the MRP or thesis route at NPSIA. I poked around Carleton's site a bit this weekend and couldn't find any info on them topping up SSHRC, which is weird because everywhere else I got offered SSHRC, the school extends funding. I may try calling someone today - but let me know if you come across the info first! 

As far as how the topping up works, the schools should send you an email letting you know how that process works. 

Edited by sonsofeasterly
Added info

1 hour ago, sonsofeasterly said:

Yeah, you're correct about having to do the MRP or thesis route at NPSIA. I poked around Carleton's site a bit this weekend and couldn't find any info on them topping up SSHRC, which is weird because everywhere else I got offered SSHRC, the school extends funding. I may try calling someone today - but let me know if you come across the info first! 

As far as how the topping up works, the schools should send you an email letting you know how that process works. 

Could you message me to let me know what they say by phone? I also haven't come across that info on their website. I've already turned down my other offers (perhaps a bit prematurely, in hindsight), so am definitely going to NPSIA, but of course I wouldn't say no to a top-up on funding from them!

Does anyone have any idea why my NPSIA application would still say "recommended for assessment" at this point? Is anyone else experiencing this? Everyone I know that has applied has received offers at this point, and clearly some on this forum have been waitlisted. Why would I still be in limbo? I emailed Tabbatha last week but still have not heard back. Other posters here said they have been told that all applicants will have heard some response by the third week of March, or the end of March (conflicting info). Just looking for thoughts or insights.

40 minutes ago, Irwi said:

Does anyone have any idea why my NPSIA application would still say "recommended for assessment" at this point? Is anyone else experiencing this? Everyone I know that has applied has received offers at this point, and clearly some on this forum have been waitlisted. Why would I still be in limbo? I emailed Tabbatha last week but still have not heard back. Other posters here said they have been told that all applicants will have heard some response by the third week of March, or the end of March (conflicting info). Just looking for thoughts or insights.

When I emailed Tabbatha about my status, she told me that she would send out an update to all applicants by the end of that week- third week of March. However, I actually never ended up getting any updates and my application is also still on Recommended for Assessment.  I was just going to wait till the end of this week and try contacting her again. 

If she emails you back,  let us know what she said cause I'm also confused as to why we haven't heard back with any sort of decisions. 

1 minute ago, MB25 said:

When I emailed Tabbatha about my status, she told me that she would send out an update to all applicants by the end of that week- third week of March. However, I actually never ended up getting any updates and my application is also still on Recommended for Assessment.  I was just going to wait till the end of this week and try contacting her again. 

If she emails you back,  let us know what she said cause I'm also confused as to why we haven't heard back with any sort of decisions. 

Sure. Thanks for the reply. It's good to know at least one other person is experiencing this, as it means I'm probably not just lost in the system due to a computer glitch.

Since my earlier post I've been reading posts in threads from previous years. I have learned two things. 1. Apparently Carleton Central is known to be glitchy so the "recommended for assessment" status cannot always be trusted. 2. There are people in this situation every year. I think NPSIA keeps sending rounds of offers right up until the end of May or later. Seeing recommended for assessment during this whole period is common.

I relate to the anxiety this can cause, but I have also started to think that there are hundreds of applicants every year, and only the most enthusiastic will seek out a forum like this, so the responses on here are skewed in that direction. There is still time and space. Best of luck to you.

1 hour ago, Irwi said:

Sure. Thanks for the reply. It's good to know at least one other person is experiencing this, as it means I'm probably not just lost in the system due to a computer glitch.

Since my earlier post I've been reading posts in threads from previous years. I have learned two things. 1. Apparently Carleton Central is known to be glitchy so the "recommended for assessment" status cannot always be trusted. 2. There are people in this situation every year. I think NPSIA keeps sending rounds of offers right up until the end of May or later. Seeing recommended for assessment during this whole period is common.

I relate to the anxiety this can cause, but I have also started to think that there are hundreds of applicants every year, and only the most enthusiastic will seek out a forum like this, so the responses on here are skewed in that direction. There is still time and space. Best of luck to you.

I'm also in the "recommended for assessment boat" and will be eagerly awaiting any more news via Carleton Central or Tabbatha around why I'm/we're still in limbo. I'll send her an e-mail today and post the reply if/when I get it. 

I'm also still waiting on a reply from UBC's MPPGA - has anybody else heard from them recently?

Good luck everyone! 

5 hours ago, kuuz said:

I'm also in the "recommended for assessment boat" and will be eagerly awaiting any more news via Carleton Central or Tabbatha around why I'm/we're still in limbo. I'll send her an e-mail today and post the reply if/when I get it. 

I'm also still waiting on a reply from UBC's MPPGA - has anybody else heard from them recently?

Good luck everyone! 

The deadline to respond to offers for the MPPGA was March 30, if that helps! They will likely send out another round of offers soon.

Edited by thebigcheese

12 hours ago, Irwi said:

hey- my NPSIA app still says recommended for assessmenl! happy to hear i'm not the only one as well! 
is anyone on here applying to Carleton masters arts in poli sci? or same for university of ottawa? 

1 hour ago, mcgillstudent said:

hey- my NPSIA app still says recommended for assessmenl! happy to hear i'm not the only one as well! 
is anyone on here applying to Carleton masters arts in poli sci? or same for university of ottawa? 

I too am recommended for assessment at NPSIA. I'm guessing our wait for an answer will end over the next five to six weeks 

Hey guys,

A long time lurker here. I have some insight about Carleton's second round. I applied early March from the MPPA program so I'm fully aware that I'm applying for the second round. This is because the deadline is extended until May 1st for this program. For those applying to NPSIA, the deadline for entrance is actually August 31st. This means offers can be made up till that date and they are still rolling admissions. I highly doubt new applications are coming in now. For those in the "recommended for assessment" phase for the MPPA, I spoke to the graduate coordinator and he said that there's a good chance they will wait until after May 1st to make additional offers, when all the applications are in by the final deadline. As for NPSIA, I'm not entirely sure what their assessment timelines are - but it appears they are able to make offers right until the end of August. So to put our minds slightly at ease, no news, is good news. 

Here's a link to the deadlines from the Faculty of Graduate Affairs:

https://gsapplications.carleton.ca/deadlines.php

19 hours ago, Hopeful2017 said:

Has anyone registered for ECON this summer at Carleton online? 

Hi, I have! I just did it through my carleton central account

2 hours ago, holyshit said:

My application to Munk says "decision made", but I haven't gotten either an acceptance or rejection email. Has anyone experienced anything similar? 

A number of people on here had their status changed to "decision made" after they were placed on a waitlist. I believe those emails went out on March 16. You haven't received anything?