17 hours ago, mcgillstudent said:

hey- my NPSIA app still says recommended for assessmenl! happy to hear i'm not the only one as well! 
is anyone on here applying to Carleton masters arts in poli sci? or same for university of ottawa? 

I applied to Political Science MA at Carleton and University of Toronto. Got accepted into both back in late February/ Early march. Received 5k from Toronto and about 29K at Carleton with a TA position. Also applied to the joint program through NPSIA and University of Ottawa law. Got waitlisted for NPSIA last week. I already got my deadline extended for Carleton to see if id hear back from NPSIA, won't wait any longer I plan to accept the political science offer in the next couple of days.

3 hours ago, Nupur11 said:

Anyone who got off the MUNK waitlist? Do we have to inform them if an applicant wants to be removed from the waitlist?

I'm still on it. Yeah you have to email them about getting off the list.

7 hours ago, Irwi said:

A number of people on here had their status changed to "decision made" after they were placed on a waitlist. I believe those emails went out on March 16. You haven't received anything?

You're right, I was placed on a waitlist. Called them today and asked. I was just confused because I got the waitlist email a while back, but it only recently changed to "decision made" 

1 hour ago, holyshit said:

You're right, I was placed on a waitlist. Called them today and asked. I was just confused because I got the waitlist email a while back, but it only recently changed to "decision made" 

Did they give you any indication of when they would send out the second round of offers?

On 2017-03-21 at 7:59 PM, Norma955 said:

Hey guys, 

I got accepted to NPSIA (I got OGS, the Ontario Graduate Scholarship which amounts to $15,000 as well as an additional $14,000 with the potential of a TAship so basically $29,000 +), for GSPIA (I received a 12,000 scholarship, a $6,000 merit scholarship and a $5,500 TAship), for the MUNK School of Global Affairs (the scholarship is only $5,000 which is nothing compared to their $30,000 a year tuition). I also applied to the School of International Development and Global Studies (SIDGS at the University of Ottawa) -->($15,000 scholarship and a minimum $18,000 RAship/TAship). I have finally made my decision and I just accepted my SIDGS offer... I feel a lot better and I am no longer going to overthink this. I just wanted to let you guys know because you have all been a tremendous source of support and help. For those who have been waitlisted to any of these programs I am declining my other offers so that means a new opening and more scholarship money for ya'll. Best of luck guys! Who here is going to be attending SIDGS? 

Also, since I basically don't know anyone in Ottawa I would still love to meet up with some of you despite the fact that I will not being going into the same program since many of you seem to have applied to either GSPIA or NPSIA. 

Hi 

I just got my offer from SIDGS but I don't see any funding info. How did you find out about your funding?

Hi guys,

I am already desperate for any news from UVic. Is there anybody who was admitted to the MPA program of UVic or maybe rejected? Does anyone have information when to anticipate any news? Please, respond! Thanks in advance!

20 hours ago, toward the ocean said:

Hi guys,

I am already desperate for any news from UVic. Is there anybody who was admitted to the MPA program of UVic or maybe rejected? Does anyone have information when to anticipate any news? Please, respond! Thanks in advance!

Hey, got admitted an notified a couple days ago. Shit funding though compared to other places which is whack because you'd think it's less competitive than programs in Toronto/ Ottawa #bummmmmed

1 hour ago, Investigate311 said:

Hey, got admitted an notified a couple days ago. Shit funding though compared to other places which is whack because you'd think it's less competitive than programs in Toronto/ Ottawa #bummmmmed

Hi, thank you for replying and congratulations on being admitted. 

I have several questions if you don't mind. What do you think is there different approaches towards domestic and international students? Have you any information whether there are other applicants admitted to UVic? As far as I am informed, you are the first. Please, share any information, it will be helpful.

Anyone find out when munk will start accepting people on the waitlist? Someone mentioned earlier that the deadline to accept was April 4, so I am wondering when acceptances for waitlisted will start rolling out. 

Hey guys. Not sure how many people are still frequenting this board, but I could use some advice. 

After being waitlisted at Munk and ruling out the MPPGA at UBC, I pretty much had my mind set on accepting an offer to do my MA in Political Science at Western. I did my undergrad at Western, loved a lot of the faculty, am familiar with the city and was offered $19,000 in funding for the one year. 

I finally got an email from U of T today that I've been accepted to the MPP program with $3000 in funding. I'm really not sure which is the better choice - I don't want to put myself in too much debt, but I do want to pursue the route that will set me up best with lots of career options. I definitely want to work in a policy-related field, either internationally or domestically, and I'm especially interested in environmental policy and advocacy. It's also worth mentioning that the prof who I'd like to advise me on my thesis at Western was an EU delegate to the UN for many years and has a lot of experience in international climate policy. 

Any advice is helpful!

Edited by TofinoGal

Congrats on getting accepted! I ended up accepting my offer at the MPP program today. I also declined Munk.

The MPP program has a lot to offer and is really geared towards getting you set up and established in the workforce. There are lots of extracurriculars (pro bono consulting and the FORD SPPG conference ect). There are also great internships and career support services (from what I could tell). I want the versatility of working internationally and domestically as well, and I feel like a MPP aids that more than a MA or even the MGA. Plus it gives all of the same professional support that Munk does but is geared towards the public sector (with a domestic slant). I am going to have a difficult time with the finances as well but I feel like pursuing the MPP will give me a step up in the long run and hopefully give me better job opportunities once I leave school. 

Then again your prof sounds fantastic! But, the internship/resume building activities at the SPPG might make it a lot easier for you when you enter the workforce? 

2 hours ago, TofinoGal said:

Hey guys. Not sure how many people are still frequenting this board, but I could use some advice. 

After being waitlisted at Munk and ruling out the MPPGA at UBC, I pretty much had my mind set on accepting an offer to do my MA in Political Science at Western. I did my undergrad at Western, loved a lot of the faculty, am familiar with the city and was offered $19,000 in funding for the one year. 

I finally got an email from U of T today that I've been accepted to the MPP program with $3000 in funding. I'm really not sure which is the better choice - I don't want to put myself in too much debt, but I do want to pursue the route that will set me up best with lots of career options. I definitely want to work in a policy-related field, either internationally or domestically, and I'm especially interested in environmental policy and advocacy. It's also worth mentioning that the prof who I'd like to advise me on my thesis at Western was an EU delegate to the UN for many years and has a lot of experience in international climate policy. 

Any advice is helpful!

Congrats on your acceptances! 

One quick question - What made you decide to rule out the MPPGA at UBC? I'm also considering the MPPGA and it seems I have interests that are similar to yours so I'd love to hear the factors that fed into your decision (if you don't mind sharing, that is)!

15 hours ago, toward the ocean said:

Hi, thank you for replying and congratulations on being admitted. 

I have several questions if you don't mind. What do you think is there different approaches towards domestic and international students? Have you any information whether there are other applicants admitted to UVic? As far as I am informed, you are the first. Please, share any information, it will be helpful.

Hey, honestly I think that they fucked up my app. Just because I had a transcript from an exchange uni, they made me pay an extra $30 for the international applicant fee. So I don't know what their deal is, I have to enquire as to if they treated my app as an int. student or what. I was really disappointed with their offer/ administration throughout the application process, which is too bad because I would've loved to be in Victoria for two years :'( 

I'll PM you about the deets of my call if any come up. I'll ask if I was waitlisted, or second round/ first, etc. I was chatting with someone on here earlier who had gotten into Uvic. 

22 hours ago, kuuz said:

Congrats on your acceptances! 

One quick question - What made you decide to rule out the MPPGA at UBC? I'm also considering the MPPGA and it seems I have interests that are similar to yours so I'd love to hear the factors that fed into your decision (if you don't mind sharing, that is)!

Same! I was waitlisted at Munk and accepted to NPSIA and UBC's MPPGA. I initially ruled out UBC since it is double the cost, but am more interested in it now. I would love to hear your thoughts as to why you ruled it out.

On 4/4/2017 at 4:11 PM, Hopeful2017 said:

Has anyone registered for ECON this summer at Carleton online? 

I tried, but it said I'm not an active student yet. I emailed Tabbatha, hopefully she gets back to me soon! Have you? I'm wondering what the syllabus is like, compared to Athabasca.

1 hour ago, pixiedustxo said:

I tried, but it said I'm not an active student yet. I emailed Tabbatha, hopefully she gets back to me soon! Have you? I'm wondering what the syllabus is like, compared to Athabasca.

Yeah I'm registered! I've looked up past syllabuses and it seems like its just online quizzes then a final for micro and then macro! Doesn't seem too bad :) 

1 hour ago, pixiedustxo said:

For macro at Athabasca, you need to do the exam in person. It seemed annoying to coordinate, hiring someone to proctor the exam and such. Plus the courses are hella expensive for both! Almost 1,000 for each course. Carleton was 1,600 total plus I get a four-month summer bus pass included. Not bad considering I'd have to pay for a bus pass to get to work anyways, so this saves me some cash. 

10 hours ago, Hopeful2017 said:

Yeah I'm registered! I've looked up past syllabuses and it seems like its just online quizzes then a final for micro and then macro! Doesn't seem too bad :) 

10 hours ago, Hopeful2017 said:

For macro at Athabasca, you need to do the exam in person. It seemed annoying to coordinate, hiring someone to proctor the exam and such. Plus the courses are hella expensive for both! Almost 1,000 for each course. Carleton was 1,600 total plus I get a four-month summer bus pass included. Not bad considering I'd have to pay for a bus pass to get to work anyways, so this saves me some cash. 

Thanks! I guess I'll go with Carleton, if they let me enrol soon lol. We should start a Facebook group for those doing econ over the summer! 

3 hours ago, Hopeful2017 said:

Do you guys think its doable to work full-time and do an online econ course this summer?

Honestly, I think it depends on the person. I know for me, i need to dedicate my time to econ. I'll see how the work load is like the first few weeks and decide from there. 

8 hours ago, pixiedustxo said:

Thanks! I guess I'll go with Carleton, if they let me enrol soon lol. We should start a Facebook group for those doing econ over the summer! 

Honestly, I think it depends on the person. I know for me, i need to dedicate my time to econ. I'll see how the work load is like the first few weeks and decide from there. 

I agree on the Facebook group!! Are you going to be in Ottawa?

On 4/10/2017 at 10:17 PM, pixiedustxo said:

Does anyone have a sense for how different the Athabasca and Carleton syllabi are in terms of difficulty? I'm already taking other courses this summer so seeking the path of least resistance 

8 hours ago, Investigate311 said:

Does anyone have a sense for how different the Athabasca and Carleton syllabi are in terms of difficulty? I'm already taking other courses this summer so seeking the path of least resistance 

Hmmm, last year's Carleton's summer course was 6 online quizzes (3 micro, 3 macro) an exam for micro and then an exam for macro. Which doesn't seem too bad. I think Carleton will be easier because you do micro may - mid june, then macro mid june-august. That way, you're not trying to study both at the same time ( like with Athabasca U).

Athabasca, you will need to do micro and macro at the same time ( and doing that online, with all of those readings seems like a lot TBH). I chose Carleton because I can solely focus on micro and macro separately ( less workload and cheaper) 

Edited by Hopeful2017