3 hours ago, Hopeful2017 said:

Hmmm, last year's Carleton's summer course was 6 online quizzes (3 micro, 3 macro) an exam for micro and then an exam for macro. Which doesn't seem too bad. I think Carleton will be easier because you do micro may - mid june, then macro mid june-august. That way, you're not trying to study both at the same time ( like with Athabasca U).

Athabasca, you will need to do micro and macro at the same time ( and doing that online, with all of those readings seems like a lot TBH). I chose Carleton because I can solely focus on micro and macro separately ( less workload and cheaper) 

I struggle with economics having not done well in macro before. Whats your thoughts on these classes? Are they tough? Would you suggest a tutor? (for the Carleton online classes)

12 hours ago, WeeBeb said:

For those waitlisted at MUNK, I tried calling to ask when waitlisted students could potentially start hearing back and she just shut me down by saying I would hear anytime before the end of August. So good luck to all waiting! 

Thanks for posting what you learned! I feel like I've been left in the lurch for so long that any information at all is good to hear. 

I think I can understand why schools are not willing to give info around when people will hear back, but it's frustrating as hell to not know anything at all! Still haven't been offered acceptance anywhere which I'll admit is moderately surprising to me, but it is what it is! Admission season is far from over, still lots of time (especially if you're on the waitlist :wacko:). 

Sending out good vibes to all

Just got accepted into GSPIA! :):) I need to decide between GSPIA and Carleton's SPPA. 12K at the former and 19K at the latter. Help would be mucho appreciated folks. Looking for insight on job prospects/ paid co-op opportunities, and faculty caliber.  

I'm a little worried about this thread, it seems like everyone's application is solid (A averages with conferences, publication and NGO experience, when and where did you have the time?! that's admirable). 

But I am not on that boat. I have my eyes set on MUNK because their year 2 flexibility allows me to explore topics on diplomacy and security (especially their geopolitics of cyberspace course!) but I have a B+ average, cumulative and last year. I took an extra year (i'm in my 5th year) because I had undergone family emergency in my 4th year so I had a good amount of mid B grades which brought down my average to a B+. I didn't get any Bs this term, but since they take only the last 10 credits my other better grades from 3rd year (i'm in my 5th year) but since they'll start counting from this year and into my last year where I had terrible grades (they weren't bad, for what I was going through it's pretty good but that's not something grad chairs look into). 

Therefore, I need to supplement with extra-curricular, but how do I know if what I do is enough? So far I'm presenting at a department colloquium, summer job at a local community centre as an outreach worker, Amnesty international volunteer (office volunteer and campaign volunteer), and now I'm doing an internship abroad in Uganda for 3 months for transnational governance and refugee integration NGO. 

BUT i feel like I still need some assurance since everyone's application seems too good to be true. Anyone here applied with a B+ and got in? What'd you do?

12 hours ago, diplomaniac said:

I'm a little worried about this thread, it seems like everyone's application is solid (A averages with conferences, publication and NGO experience, when and where did you have the time?! that's admirable). 

But I am not on that boat. I have my eyes set on MUNK because their year 2 flexibility allows me to explore topics on diplomacy and security (especially their geopolitics of cyberspace course!) but I have a B+ average, cumulative and last year. I took an extra year (i'm in my 5th year) because I had undergone family emergency in my 4th year so I had a good amount of mid B grades which brought down my average to a B+. I didn't get any Bs this term, but since they take only the last 10 credits my other better grades from 3rd year (i'm in my 5th year) but since they'll start counting from this year and into my last year where I had terrible grades (they weren't bad, for what I was going through it's pretty good but that's not something grad chairs look into). 

Therefore, I need to supplement with extra-curricular, but how do I know if what I do is enough? So far I'm presenting at a department colloquium, summer job at a local community centre as an outreach worker, Amnesty international volunteer (office volunteer and campaign volunteer), and now I'm doing an internship abroad in Uganda for 3 months for transnational governance and refugee integration NGO. 

BUT i feel like I still need some assurance since everyone's application seems too good to be true. Anyone here applied with a B+ and got in? What'd you do?

Hey diplomaniac, did you get a response from Munk? Are you on the waitlist?

I got a first-round acceptance offer, and, I can tell you, I do not have the stellar application stats that you listed above. I have no real volunteer experience and no work experience that relates to global affairs. What I did have was a strong GPA (A-, 3.77/4.0), strong reference letters, and (I think) strong personal statements.

All that said, I can't really tell you what your chances are. From what their program coordinator told me, the order of importance for them is GPA > Personal Statements & References > Work & Volunteer Experience. I personally think you have strong volunteer experience, and your GPA is solid if you can maintain or boost a B+. The difference, I think, comes down to your statements and your references. If you feel confident about them, I see you having a good shot of being accepted some time in the coming months.

I wish you the best of luck!

On 18/04/2017 at 4:02 AM, diplomaniac said:

Maybe this isn't what you want to hear, but I swear getting in has a lot to do with luck. What I mean is having something that made you stand out in the eyes of the admissions officer. In my application to Munk I tried to include such things.

I actually missed the deadline and had to submit a rushed application. Therefore, I didn't have the time to write an academically focused application so I went down an emotive route. I'm still not sure what made me stand but somehow I conveyed my passion for international relations because they gave me a pretty large scholarship. My undergraduate grades are definitely not straight As. I do comfortably meet the grade requirements from a top 50 world university, but my grades vary massively (no consistency what so ever)! My bachelors degree hasn't even got anything to do with Global Affairs, I'm doing a bloody science degree!

I think the most important thing to convey is a passion for the subject by taking it beyond the classroom. IMO, your extra-curricular is pretty strong but make sure you explain what motivated you to do those things and how they fit into your future (i.e. your application).

I saw this mentioned earlier in this thread but I cited heavily in the 'global affairs question'. This seemed obvious to me because this your opportunity to show off your academic writing style. You need to remember that you "read" for a degree, at least that's how it's phrased in my country.

On 4/18/2017 at 9:02 AM, Kaspara said:

Hey diplomaniac, did you get a response from Munk? Are you on the waitlist?

I got a first-round acceptance offer, and, I can tell you, I do not have the stellar application stats that you listed above. I have no real volunteer experience and no work experience that relates to global affairs. What I did have was a strong GPA (A-, 3.77/4.0), strong reference letters, and (I think) strong personal statements.

All that said, I can't really tell you what your chances are. From what their program coordinator told me, the order of importance for them is GPA > Personal Statements & References > Work & Volunteer Experience. I personally think you have strong volunteer experience, and your GPA is solid if you can maintain or boost a B+. The difference, I think, comes down to your statements and your references. If you feel confident about them, I see you having a good shot of being accepted some time in the coming months.

I wish you the best of luck!

Hi! I haven't applied yet, because International Relations is such a broad field, I have no idea what my focus will be on. I simply have an idea of what I want to do, but I want to gain some experience in the field to make sure that it's not just me being idealistic but it's something I want to dedicate myself to as a career. 

Thank you for your sharing the order of importance! I'll be sure to really focus on my statement especially since StudentGA also gave excellent advice :)

On 4/19/2017 at 8:26 AM, StudentGA said:

Maybe this isn't what you want to hear, but I swear getting in has a lot to do with luck. What I mean is having something that made you stand out in the eyes of the admissions officer. In my application to Munk I tried to include such things.

I actually missed the deadline and had to submit a rushed application. Therefore, I didn't have the time to write an academically focused application so I went down an emotive route. I'm still not sure what made me stand but somehow I conveyed my passion for international relations because they gave me a pretty large scholarship. My undergraduate grades are definitely not straight As. I do comfortably meet the grade requirements from a top 50 world university, but my grades vary massively (no consistency what so ever)! My bachelors degree hasn't even got anything to do with Global Affairs, I'm doing a bloody science degree!

I think the most important thing to convey is a passion for the subject by taking it beyond the classroom. IMO, your extra-curricular is pretty strong but make sure you explain what motivated you to do those things and how they fit into your future (i.e. your application).

I saw this mentioned earlier in this thread but I cited heavily in the 'global affairs question'. This seemed obvious to me because this your opportunity to show off your academic writing style. You need to remember that you "read" for a degree, at least that's how it's phrased in my country.

Thanks for the advice! I was hoping to take a more emotive route and thank you for your suggestions :). 

Could you expand on what you mean by "global affairs question"?

2 hours ago, diplomaniac said:

Thanks for the advice! I was hoping to take a more emotive route and thank you for your suggestions :). 

Could you expand on what you mean by "global affairs question"?

Sure, so your application to the MGA will include two "Statements of Intent". One of which is: "400-500 words that identifies a global affairs question, topic or problem" and reflect how it is or could be addressed.

Because I read environmental science, I chose to do mine on climate change and water security, explaining how shared water resources are currently being managed by market forces, treaties etc. 400-500 words is approximately the same size as a report abstract. So essentially I wrote an abstract on the issue but unlike a normal abstract, I also cited key literature (because obviously there is no report to follow). Citing correctly and being able to summarise a topic into an abstract are key skills in academic writing style, so showcase that you have them.

I will expand on what I mean by, "read for a degree". At my university, at least at undergrad, we are always reminded that we 'read' our subject (i.e. "I read 'X'"). This is a polite way saying "remember your place" or "don't get carried away" because at the end of the day, this is your first degree and all your professors and every paper you read are much more knowledgeable than you. At least in the traditional sense, undergrad isn't the place for creating your own theories, instead, your aim should be to thoroughly understand the topic or literally 'read' as much as you can. This is why citing peer-reviewed literature in your reports in so important.  

Good Luck!

Hey everyone!

Firstly, congratulations to all those who've received acceptances and good luck to all those still waiting!

I'm relatively new to this forum, so I apologize in advance if my questions are naive. I'm interested in applying to Munk, NPSIA and GSPIA this fall. However, I'm worried about the econ requirements. That, and I have 3.1ish cGPA. I have a very strong upward trend, though - a 3.7+ L2 GPA (last two years) and ~3.9ish final year GPA. Most of my poor grades were clustered in my first year where I was enrolled in a different major. I had trouble adjusting to uni life and did really poor academically. During this time, I also had enrolled myself in introductory macro and micro econ courses but ended up with really poor grades on each (like, C-).

I understand that Munk primarily focuses on the final year GPA for admitting students, but NPSIA and GSPIA seem to focus on the cGPA and look closely at one's grades in econ courses. How much do you think my cGPA (and grades in econ) will affect my application - especially for NPSIA and GSPIA? I find both those programs attractive because of their funding options/reputation, but it seems like I won't have a competitive application for those schools. I'd also appreciate if anyone could provide me with some insight on my chances for Munk.

Looking forward to your reply!

Thanks in advance!

3 hours ago, thedevilsarered said:

Hey everyone!

Firstly, congratulations to all those who've received acceptances and good luck to all those still waiting!

I'm relatively new to this forum, so I apologize in advance if my questions are naive. I'm interested in applying to Munk, NPSIA and GSPIA this fall. However, I'm worried about the econ requirements. That, and I have 3.1ish cGPA. I have a very strong upward trend, though - a 3.7+ L2 GPA (last two years) and ~3.9ish final year GPA. Most of my poor grades were clustered in my first year where I was enrolled in a different major. I had trouble adjusting to uni life and did really poor academically. During this time, I also had enrolled myself in introductory macro and micro econ courses but ended up with really poor grades on each (like, C-).

I understand that Munk primarily focuses on the final year GPA for admitting students, but NPSIA and GSPIA seem to focus on the cGPA and look closely at one's grades in econ courses. How much do you think my cGPA (and grades in econ) will affect my application - especially for NPSIA and GSPIA? I find both those programs attractive because of their funding options/reputation, but it seems like I won't have a competitive application for those schools. I'd also appreciate if anyone could provide me with some insight on my chances for Munk.

Looking forward to your reply!

Thanks in advance!

If I understand you correctly that your final year GPA is 3.9 and your CGPA is 3.7, then I think you have very good chances of getting into all of those programs. As I mentioned in an earlier response, these programs (I know Munk the best, but I think NPSIA and GSPIA are the same, if not easier to get in to) look at marks first, then your personal statements and reference letters, then your work/volunteer experience. Munk's minimum average is a B+, but competitive applicants have A-, which you seem to have. As long as you can write a concise, interesting, and passionate statement(s) and can get strong letters, you are golden.

As for economics, don't sweat it too much. I got a 70 in an econ course, and it didn't seem to affect my application. You can always take it again during the summer before or during the grad programs. 

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

2 hours ago, BlndGeo said:

I can't believe that second round of offers from Munk hasn't come out yet...

Not sure if this is anything to go by... But UBC just send out their second round, and they sent out their first round about 2 weeks before Munk. If (big if) we can assume that reviewing first round acceptances/rejections takes approximately the same amount of time for most largeish Canadian schools then maybe we can expect second round offers to come out of Munk in 2 weeks or so. 

This is based on almost no data, haha, just a thought. Telling myself that there's even a semblance of predictable structure helps keep me from driving myself crazy. I got into UBC which is great especially considering that I'm interested in environmental policy, but I'm also on the Munk waitlist and would be real jazzed to get in there as well. 

On 4/12/2017 at 5:07 PM, Nupur11 said:

To those who are accepting their NPSIA and MUNK admission offers, can you guys share your profiles please?

I accepted my NPSIA admission offer (22k). By profile I'm assuming you mean major, GPA, professional/extracurricular experience, volunteer stuff, and the like, right? Or do you mean academic/career interests and goals? I'll share both. I did my BA Lhons in pol sci, last 2 years 3.8-ish GPA. Two research assistant positions with faculty members. 2 publications. 2 conference presentations. lots of community volunteer work (some relevant to IA). Volunteer work abroad helping out with refugee relief efforts. A bit of online volunteer work for UN. Going into the conflict concentration at NPSIA, taking the thesis route, intend on focusing on new patterns of conflict like hybrid warfare and what the implications are concerning NATO. Hoping to find employment in GAC or an intergovernmental organization. I don't intend on doing a doctorate though perhaps way down the road because teaching is something I can see myself really enjoying.

1 hour ago, CaviarWoof said:

Just found this place... I also applied Munk and have been on the waitlist for more than a month..... Just curious if anyone got off the list already.?

I haven't heard of anyone getting off the waitlist yet... Based on other schools/previous year turnaround times I think Munk might start letting people off the waitlist in the next two weeks or so. I think the deadline to accept first round offers was early April-ish and through poking around Grad Cafe it seems that second round admissions take a solid chunk of time to be processed. My understanding is that faculty/staff re-convene to assess what the incoming class looks like after the dust has settled from first round acceptance/rejections (e.g. interest areas, gender distribution, etc.) to make sure they have a balanced cohort which can take a month or so like we're seeing here. 

If you want to get an idea of how this year might pan out you should go check out last year's Munk, NPSIA, etc. thread. 

23 minutes ago, kuuz said:

I haven't heard of anyone getting off the waitlist yet... Based on other schools/previous year turnaround times I think Munk might start letting people off the waitlist in the next two weeks or so. I think the deadline to accept first round offers was early April-ish and through poking around Grad Cafe it seems that second round admissions take a solid chunk of time to be processed. My understanding is that faculty/staff re-convene to assess what the incoming class looks like after the dust has settled from first round acceptance/rejections (e.g. interest areas, gender distribution, etc.) to make sure they have a balanced cohort which can take a month or so like we're seeing here. 

If you want to get an idea of how this year might pan out you should go check out last year's Munk, NPSIA, etc. thread. 

Thanks for your info! I will have a look at the other thread.

3 hours ago, kuuz said:

I read the 2016 tread quickly and seems last year's practice is different from this year. Status for candidates in the waitlist was "Under Review" instead of "Decision Made" this year.... I didn't check when my status changed to "Decision Made" and when I look at that just a few days ago, I thought there is 2nd round decision already.... :(

On 4/22/2017 at 3:10 AM, StudentGA said:

Sure, so your application to the MGA will include two "Statements of Intent". One of which is: "400-500 words that identifies a global affairs question, topic or problem" and reflect how it is or could be addressed.

Because I read environmental science, I chose to do mine on climate change and water security, explaining how shared water resources are currently being managed by market forces, treaties etc. 400-500 words is approximately the same size as a report abstract. So essentially I wrote an abstract on the issue but unlike a normal abstract, I also cited key literature (because obviously there is no report to follow). Citing correctly and being able to summarise a topic into an abstract are key skills in academic writing style, so showcase that you have them.

I will expand on what I mean by, "read for a degree". At my university, at least at undergrad, we are always reminded that we 'read' our subject (i.e. "I read 'X'"). This is a polite way saying "remember your place" or "don't get carried away" because at the end of the day, this is your first degree and all your professors and every paper you read are much more knowledgeable than you. At least in the traditional sense, undergrad isn't the place for creating your own theories, instead, your aim should be to thoroughly understand the topic or literally 'read' as much as you can. This is why citing peer-reviewed literature in your reports in so important.  

Good Luck!

This a really excellent tip! Thank you so much!!