Advice on How to Best Utilize Magoosh/Make a GRE Study Schedule?

Nicholas B

So, I have about 6-7 weeks to study for the GRE and have just purchased Magoosh at the suggestion of many friends. I'm very pleased so far and am confident this purchase will help me score well.

However, I'm a bit overwhelmed as how to best set up a study schedule for myself. Magoosh has some study plans, however most of them involve purchasing extra reading material. 

Is it unwise to study for the GRE just by taking as many practice questions/tests as I can, along with some vocab flash cards? Or would it be better to go more along the lines of Magoosh's suggestions, and get and read some extra study books?

It is advisable that you complete official ETS materials along with Magoosh. Collectively its more than enough. The key is quality of practice and not the quantity of material you solve. By quality I mean that you should strive to improve your thinking and approach regarding solving GRE ques.

Here I list down materials you should finish in available time.

1. Magoosh videos of topics you don't know.

2. Magoosh practice ques, as many as you can. But its enough even if you complete more than 50%. Flag the ques in which learned something new and be sure to solve that ques again to make that learning permanent.

3. GRE OG 2nd edition

4. ETS Verbal practice que book

5. ETS Quant practice que book

3. Magoosh practice tests - 2 nos

4. Powerprep tests - 2 nos

Also I will advice to follow one month schedule of Magoosh to preclude yourself from distracting from studies and waste your time.

I'm also studying with Magoosh and actually you don't need to purchase the extra material, they just suggest to use them and is really helpful, but you can practice using just online resources and Magoosh. I'm actually using additional resources than the ones they suggest because I couldn't find some, so you can really adapt the study plans to your needs.

Answer all the questions, practice with both math and vocab flashcards and do the practice tests. Then you can substitute some of the material they suggest, you can use the official ETS material, use other online flashcards or resources and incorporate it to your study plan!

One thing you should follow is how the days are structured, like do try to read at least 30 min. a day and learn as many words as they suggest (for the study plan I'm following I have to study 10 words a day). The study plan is something you can definitely adapt to your needs and is great to follow that way you know how much you have covered. 

Edited by coffeecupanalogy
word