What is suggested GRE score for PhD program in Biochemistry

Luptior

I took my first GRE general test (almost unprepared) and got V152 Q168 AW3.5. I looked the websites of some graduate schools but rarely do they put the information about GRE, such as the average score in past years.

I plan to take it again but wonder what is a decent score if aimed at the top programs?

Your verbal scores are a bit low, but the quantitative is what really matters. The averages for my shool are more or less 156V/158Q/4AW. It's also important to know that the GRE is not the most important part of your app, at all. As long as you don't completely fail it, you'll be fine.

@Luptior

Your verbal score is low, but it will not preclude you from admissions at top programs. If you have stellar research experience, excellent LORs, and a SOP that ties everything together, then you can get into top programs with a below average GRE and GPA. 

When I was preparing my applications, I followed Cornell's advice: "Each application is evaluated as a whole rather than on just one aspect of the package. However, North American students with a grade point average below B are rarely admitted. The median undergraduate grade point average for admitted students is about 3.5. Similarly, verbal GRE scores below 153 (or combined verbal and quantitative GRE scores below 308-310) usually preclude admission, unless there is substantial evidence of potential for academic excellence (for example, superb grades or outstanding research productivity)."

If it were me and I felt I could do better, I'd take it again.  When I took it, I tried to get 160+ on both sections and 4.5+ on AW so it won't be an issue.

Also (and I'm probably about to freak you out), but there is a chance that it will come back to play a role.  If your program doesn't assign training grants outright the first year (and there is NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS) then it contributes to your application for those.  Obviously not as important as your performance in your 1st year, but still.  This is common in umbrella programs where the funding source changes.  Like I said, it will contribute along with your uGPA (so basically your admission application) and mostly your performance.