Nervous about my chances

Hello,

I know people post a lot of these questions, and I have definitely reviewed some posts looking for someone with a similar experience as me. I just feel like I had to make an account to get some opinions personalized for me. I would love some realistic opinions, advice, or positivity lol. I want to start applying this fall to start Fall 2017 in a 3 year SLP program since I'm out of field.

I graduated undergrad 3 years ago from a private school (not sure if that matters) with a B.A. in Psych. Due to certain circumstances(i.e. Having to work, homeless and having to sleep on friends couches, no money to afford books, etc) my GPA suffered and I graduated with a 2.8. I took the GRE and got a 152 in verbal and 145 in quant, with a 4.0 in writing. I am taking it again soon because I didn't study for that and know that if I do study I can get at least a 155 in both.

I don't have any relative work experience, but I have volunteered in numerous places such as a Montessori preschool, an assisted living home, a trauma department at a crisis center, and a mentor in a reading program for youth at a nonprofit. I am currently volunteering as a literacy tutor for adults and a ReadingPal for youth. I also plan on trying to get hours shadowing an SLP.

As far as LOR's, I've been out of school for awhile and really can only recount 1 professor who would actually remember me and be willing to write a positive LOR. I may be able to find some other professors outside of my major who were really nice and may be willing to help. Otherwise, any of my previous employers would give an excellent LOR if needed.

Any thoughts or advice would be awesome!

1. Do you have a higher GPA with the last 60 credits? There are schools that only look at the last 60 credits. You can find a list of them on this forum.

2. Make sure to explain (appropriately) why your GPA suffered in your POS.

3. Retaking the GRE is a great idea! 

4. I think your experience looks good.

5. Make sure to get that letter from your prof. I am also an out-of-field applicant who has been out of school for a while, and I am only going to be able to apply to schools that do not require letters from faculty. I do work as a language therapist at a clinic with a steep learning curve, and my recommenders can attest to my ability to work hard an learn quickly. However, it will look better to have one from a prof! I think it's fine if your other two are from previous employers, if they are good references. Can you get one from a volunteer supervisor if you worked with them a lot?  I imagine that getting recommendations from people who know you and have great things to say is better than contacting other professors who may or may not remember you. (Also, FYI, my coworker got into top programs this year with NO academic references, but his numbers were much better than ours.)

It will be hard with your GPA (mine, too!) but if you are smart about where you apply you have a shot! Look up "least competitive SLP schools" on this forum. There are some applicants on that thread who were admitted with some low numbers. Check their signatures to see where they applied. 

One last thing... I am also applying to post-bacc programs because of my GPA in case I do not get into a leveling program. You may want to do this, or look into where you would want to do prereqs next year, to keep moving forward.

Good luck!!!

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 0:16 PM, plume said:

1. Do you have a higher GPA with the last 60 credits? There are schools that only look at the last 60 credits. You can find a list of them on this forum.

2. Make sure to explain (appropriately) why your GPA suffered in your POS.

3. Retaking the GRE is a great idea! 

4. I think your experience looks good.

5. Make sure to get that letter from your prof. I am also an out-of-field applicant who has been out of school for a while, and I am only going to be able to apply to schools that do not require letters from faculty. I do work as a language therapist at a clinic with a steep learning curve, and my recommenders can attest to my ability to work hard an learn quickly. However, it will look better to have one from a prof! I think it's fine if your other two are from previous employers, if they are good references. Can you get one from a volunteer supervisor if you worked with them a lot?  I imagine that getting recommendations from people who know you and have great things to say is better than contacting other professors who may or may not remember you. (Also, FYI, my coworker got into top programs this year with NO academic references, but his numbers were much better than ours.)

It will be hard with your GPA (mine, too!) but if you are smart about where you apply you have a shot! Look up "least competitive SLP schools" on this forum. There are some applicants on that thread who were admitted with some low numbers. Check their signatures to see where they applied. 

One last thing... I am also applying to post-bacc programs because of my GPA in case I do not get into a leveling program. You may want to do this, or look into where you would want to do prereqs next year, to keep moving forward.

Good luck!!!

Wow thanks that was really helpful! I've actually glanced at the "least competitive SLP schools" but now I'm going to look deeper into it. And yes, I'm hoping that if I get a really good GRE score, lots of experience, and great LOR's from maybe one professor, one employer, and one volunteer supervisor, it can somewhat weigh out my poor GPA that actually isn't a reflection of my abilities. I appreciate your response and I'm going to look into everything you said :)

Your best bet is to score extremely well on the GRE.  You don't want them to see your GPA and not even read your statement that explains why it was lower.  If they see a really high GRE score then they might be curious enough to read the statement to find out why they were so different.  Also the last 60 units is a great way too if that gpa is higher.  Good luck, sounds like you are doing the footwork and researching which schools would be the most likely to take a look at everything.

29 minutes ago, CBG321 said:

Your best bet is to score extremely well on the GRE.  You don't want them to see your GPA and not even read your statement that explains why it was lower.  If they see a really high GRE score then they might be curious enough to read the statement to find out why they were so different.  Also the last 60 units is a great way too if that gpa is higher.  Good luck, sounds like you are doing the footwork and researching which schools would be the most likely to take a look at everything.

That's very true and what I was banking on. I know my GPA looks terrible and definitely needs to be outweighed by other things. Trying to let this play out in the best way I can.

Thank you!

@DCROSS I have an edit to make! I went to an open house for a school in the town I live in that is very competitive (CU Boulder) and I asked specifically about LoRs since I've been out of school for a while. The professor told me to get a letter from a professor no matter what, even if it means they don't remember me. I know you are already planning to get a letter from a professor, but I just wanted to correct my post for you and others!