2017 Canadian Application Thread!

Congratulations to everyone accepted to Dalhousie, so exciting!! 

Hoping that this means the potential Audiologists will be hearing back soon as well. 

Best of luck with everything!

4 hours ago, slpslpslpslp said:

Congratulations on Dalhousie! Why has no one heard from McGill though? The open house is in 10 days! I for sure thought today would be the latest they would start calling.

McGill was closed today due to a crazy snowstorm. Maybe we'll have news tomorrow. I can't wait anymore!

17 minutes ago, hopefullySLP said:

McGill was closed today due to a crazy snowstorm. Maybe we'll have news tomorrow. I can't wait anymore!

I just emailed the department asking if they had any information about when the decisions will go out. I got an automatic reply that the student affairs coordinator is out of the office until tomorrow (Thursday), so I'm hoping that means the calls will start tomorrow! Who knows though, it's killing me!

9 hours ago, Bananis said:

I just received an acceptance from Dalhousie!!! It's conditional though, that I finish my degree with a GPA of 3.3. I'm not sure how that will work though, because I graduated ages ago with a very low average and have only since taken courses in the last two years but will not have another degree... Not sure if that will matter. Anyway AHHHHHHHHHH Those of you who applied to Dal should get your emails soon!

Did you get a phone call, or did you get an email?

7 hours ago, slpslpslpslp said:

I just emailed the department asking if they had any information about when the decisions will go out. I got an automatic reply that the student affairs coordinator is out of the office until tomorrow (Thursday), so I'm hoping that means the calls will start tomorrow! Who knows though, it's killing me!

Oooh, good idea! Let us know if you get a response? :)

Still no word from U of A for anyone besides Mizuro? I was just checking last year's gradcafe forum and it looks like the first wave of notifications were sent on Friday, March 18. We're getting really close to the 18th, and tomorrow is a Friday... The suspense is really starting to get to me!

23 minutes ago, slpslpslpslp said:

Just called McGill. I was told that they will begin calling sometime between tomorrow afternoon and Monday afternoon. Let's hope it's tomorrow, I don't know if I can handle another weekend ?!

You're my hero!! Thanks for doing that. I sent them a message through UApply earlier but haven't gotten anything back. The suspense is getting to be too much. I've been travelling since September and actually *only* applied to McGill because it was my top choice and applying more widely wasn't practical for my situation. So I am really waiting to learn my fate here. At this point I just want to *know* so I can start planning for taking those other pre-reqs and so on, if I'm not getting in this time around!

Edited by linguistics_grad
typo

On March 13, 2017 at 2:17 PM, SpeechPathWannabe said:

Has anyone received a response from McGill yet??

My classmate got accepted to McGill today.

Edited by Vee_SLP

I just had a friend call U of A (because I was too chicken) and Vicki said the first round of offer letters will be going out on April 1. She also said if you don't get an email on April 1 not to worry too much because it doesn't necessarily mean you haven't gotten in.

At least now I have a date to look forward to... I'll have to try to stay calm until then. I only applied to U of A, so I'm really hoping to get in! I feel like my application is strong, but I just don't know, and I think the "tastes" of the department change from year to year as the acceptance committees change.

21 minutes ago, theyaaz said:

I just had a friend call U of A (because I was too chicken) and Vicki said the first round of offer letters will be going out on April 1. She also said if you don't get an email on April 1 not to worry too much because it doesn't necessarily mean you haven't gotten in.

At least now I have a date to look forward to... I'll have to try to stay calm until then. I only applied to U of A, so I'm really hoping to get in! I feel like my application is strong, but I just don't know, and I think the "tastes" of the department change from year to year as the acceptance committees change.

Wow that's so much later than previous years- at least according to the results page and past threads. But you're right, at least now there is a date to look forward to! 

Has anyone heard anything about when UBC will start to send out offers?

Edited by anSLPtobe

I'm just curious, and since we're all waiting anxiously anyway maybe it'll be a distraction but.. Has anyone seen a compilation of information about how many seats are available for each Canadian school and how many applicants they had in previous years? The only thing like that I've seen was way back from like 2008...

44 minutes ago, Bananis said:

I'm just curious, and since we're all waiting anxiously anyway maybe it'll be a distraction but.. Has anyone seen a compilation of information about how many seats are available for each Canadian school and how many applicants they had in previous years? The only thing like that I've seen was way back from like 2008...

I'm not sure of an exact number but I have friends at both Western and Toronto this year in the program who have told me that both programs have increased in size for this upcoming application year. My friend at Toronto told me "Apparently it's mandated that all programs in the faculty of medicine increase. So I believe that SLP is accepting 20 more students this year for a total class size of nearly 70" .  So hopefully this means more good news for people....

I can't help after hearing people post about McGill acceptances become discouraged...the application process is emotionally exhausting to say the least. 

7 minutes ago, SpeechWannaB said:

I'm not sure of an exact number but I have friends at both Western and Toronto this year in the program who have told me that both programs have increased in size for this upcoming application year. My friend at Toronto told me "Apparently it's mandated that all programs in the faculty of medicine increase. So I believe that SLP is accepting 20 more students this year for a total class size of nearly 70" .  So hopefully this means more good news for people....

I can't help after hearing people post about McGill acceptances become discouraged...the application process is emotionally exhausting to say the least. 

Holy crap! That's a huge class! I had no idea Toronto had so many to begin with. I thought Alberta had the most. But that means more spots for us! And don't give up yet. Slpslpslpslp said she called today and they told her they'd start calling tomorrow, so maybe they just started to get around to it today earlier than they thought! :) If I remember correctly, last year McGill called over a few days. I remember how dejected people were the next day after the first day of calls but then they got in.

Also, while we wait:

What are your top choices and why?

I honestly just hoped to receive a single acceptance and figured if I got more than one I would just deal with it if it happened. But since the dates to accept are so close, I'd like to hear everyone's reasons for their top choice. Everyone who gradutes from a school says "oh yeah it was a great program!" but they can't really compare, can they? I've heard that about pretty much every school. For me in Sask, I don't have the choice to choose the one closest to home as I'll have to move to a different province regardless. How do you know which school to choose without spending hundreds of dollars flying around to go look at the schools? not to mention there are things like living situations to consider... Toronto can be so expensive to rent an apartment so... I wasn't sure if I'd like to live there....

39 minutes ago, Bananis said:

Also, while we wait:

I honestly just hoped to receive a single acceptance and figured if I got more than one I would just deal with it if it happened. But since the dates to accept are so close, I'd like to hear everyone's reasons for their top choice. Everyone who gradutes from a school says "oh yeah it was a great program!" but they can't really compare, can they? I've heard that about pretty much every school. For me in Sask, I don't have the choice to choose the one closest to home as I'll have to move to a different province regardless. How do you know which school to choose without spending hundreds of dollars flying around to go look at the schools? not to mention there are things like living situations to consider... Toronto can be so expensive to rent an apartment so... I wasn't sure if I'd like to live there....

For me, I would say Western is my top choice, but it and Toronto and McMaster are all within 4 hours of my hometown. Western is closest to me, I love the in house clinic, and I really like their graduate apartments (which I toured in the summer - only downside was no AC). Really though, I would take any program. I would probably go to Toronto as a second choice just because I'm still slightly apprehensive about McMaster being a new program. but I'll be incredibly happy with any offer of admission. 

1 hour ago, Bananis said:

Also, while we wait:

I've only got UBC and McGill as options left here, and would be happy if either worked out. Preparing for the worst and hoping for the best here. Congrats to all of the offers of admission so far!

1 hour ago, Bananis said:

Also, while we wait:

I am with you there, any acceptance would be a win at this point! I am a third time applicant so fingers crossed this time. 

I am about 4-5 hours away from both Western and Toronto so would happily take either. But like many I am not getting my hopes up as my sGPA is not overly high, only around a  3.72 - which is crazy to even think thats not good because we should all be proud of these grades but these programs make us feel like they're not something to be proud of. 

Although I'm not sure if anyone else has friends who are already in the program but I know of girls who have gotten in with 3.7's so lets hope they take a more broad look at the application and not just accept based on grades (as I don't feel like that's an accurate representation of someone's ability to be an effective clinician). 

In my opinion, McMaster offering interviews solely based on GPA kind of put my place in perspective as to whether or not my average was competitive because realistically most people apply to as many schools to maximize your chance of getting in. I did feel better about my average once receiving an interview. Did anyone else feel this way? 

35 minutes ago, SpeechWannaB said:

I am with you there, any acceptance would be a win at this point! I am a third time applicant so fingers crossed this time. 

I am about 4-5 hours away from both Western and Toronto so would happily take either. But like many I am not getting my hopes up as my sGPA is not overly high, only around a  3.72 - which is crazy to even think thats not good because we should all be proud of these grades but these programs make us feel like they're not something to be proud of. 

Although I'm not sure if anyone else has friends who are already in the program but I know of girls who have gotten in with 3.7's so lets hope they take a more broad look at the application and not just accept based on grades (as I don't feel like that's an accurate representation of someone's ability to be an effective clinician). 

In my opinion, McMaster offering interviews solely based on GPA kind of put my place in perspective as to whether or not my average was competitive because realistically most people apply to as many schools to maximize your chance of getting in. I did feel better about my average once receiving an interview. Did anyone else feel this way? 

Good to know there's another third time applicant in the forum :)

My sGPA isn't overly high either (3.65), and I am slightly frustrated that my grades from the MA I did aren't included in any calculations.  I agree that brains aren't the only important factor for clinicians. I hope that admissions processes factor in other aspects of an applicant's preparedness in the future.

I am hoping that McGill and UBC consider grades along with significant volunteer/work experience as positive aspects to my application. If it's a no-go this time around in Canada, then I'd consider going to the US, but it seems like a bit of an expensive trade-off to make. Otherwise I'll either continue working as a lumberjack or focus on other stones that are already in the fire.

6 minutes ago, A_linguist said:

Good to know there's another third time applicant in the forum :)

My sGPA isn't overly high either (3.65), and I am slightly frustrated that my grades from the MA I did aren't included in any calculations.  I agree that brains aren't the only important factor for clinicians. I hope that admissions processes factor in other aspects of an applicant's preparedness in the future.

I am hoping that McGill and UBC consider grades along with significant volunteer/work experience as positive aspects to my application. If it's a no-go this time around in Canada, then I'd consider going to the US, but it seems like a bit of an expensive trade-off to make. Otherwise I'll either continue working as a lumberjack or focus on other stones that are already in the fire.

I'm also a third time applicant! Definitely feels good knowing I'm not alone, haha.

Also, thank you to everyone who has contacted schools about when they will be sending out offers of admission, it is greatly appreciated!

44 minutes ago, SLPlease? said:

I'm also a third time applicant! Definitely feels good knowing I'm not alone, haha.

Also, thank you to everyone who has contacted schools about when they will be sending out offers of admission, it is greatly appreciated!

haha no you are not alone!! Were you waitlisted any of the previous years you applied?