2017 Canadian Application Thread!

Congrats to everyone on their acceptances! 

Has anyone else given up hope on McGill or do you think they will be making more calls Monday? It's hard to tell how many people have already been accepted because granted their are people who have that don't use the forum. 

Feeling down! 

4 hours ago, SpeechWannaB said:

Has anyone else given up hope on McGill or do you think they will be making more calls Monday? It's hard to tell how many people have already been accepted because granted their are people who have that don't use the forum. 

Feeling down! 

Feeling pretty down as well.

Is it possible that McGill is calling in alphabetical order?

I think that there are still people to call as no one has posted about waitlists yet. And there are still calls from UBC and the Ontario schools to look forward to. 

Still lots of time:) 

Hi everyone, I just found this forum as well. Congrats to everyone on their acceptances! I received a call from McGill on Thursday, and was very surprised! I know that we won't hear any results from the Ontario schools until March 31st at midnight, so that doesn't really give people a lot of time to choose a school (unless they're already set on one :) ). I really have no idea how the Ontario schools will pan out, but I am really interested to know what you guys think of the McMaster program? I really liked the people and the school environment when I went for the MMI. I have also heard great things about their heath care programs in general. Although hypothetically, if someone is accepted to Mac as well as a more established program, do you think it would be disadvantageous to accept McMaster over the other school? I know that as of right now Mac isn't accredited (so that is a bit scary), but I was also wondering if the fact that it is the first year for the program would influence the ability to find a job after graduation? Do you guys think employers would prefer to hire somebody from a more established program?

On 3/16/2017 at 9:58 PM, SpeechWannaB said:

I am with you there, any acceptance would be a win at this point! I am a third time applicant so fingers crossed this time. 

I am about 4-5 hours away from both Western and Toronto so would happily take either. But like many I am not getting my hopes up as my sGPA is not overly high, only around a  3.72 - which is crazy to even think thats not good because we should all be proud of these grades but these programs make us feel like they're not something to be proud of. 

Although I'm not sure if anyone else has friends who are already in the program but I know of girls who have gotten in with 3.7's so lets hope they take a more broad look at the application and not just accept based on grades (as I don't feel like that's an accurate representation of someone's ability to be an effective clinician). 

In my opinion, McMaster offering interviews solely based on GPA kind of put my place in perspective as to whether or not my average was competitive because realistically most people apply to as many schools to maximize your chance of getting in. I did feel better about my average once receiving an interview. Did anyone else feel this way? 

I felt the same! My sGPA is 3.78 so I really wasn't feeling confident that it was competitive enough. But getting an interview at McMaster definitely gave me some assurance that I at least have a shot, because they said only 125 people of 430 were interviewed and that means we must have had solid GPA's! 

7 hours ago, SpeechWannaB said:

Feeling down! 

I'm hoping they're still going to make some calls early next week! Although I am starting to lose hope, and am also a little bit down haha

32 minutes ago, SLPlease? said:

I'm hoping they're still going to make some calls early next week! Although I am starting to lose hope, and am also a little bit down haha

Same! I don't want to give up hope, but at the same time I don't want to keep my hopes up...

It's so hard when you think you have a solid application :(

Hi all. Hopefully this week brings more good news to all of you! For those who are going to be attending the McGill program, a Facebook group has been created so we can get to know each other before September. Search for Incoming McGill SLP Students - Sept 2017. Thanks to @linguistics_grad for making the group.

On 2017-03-18 at 5:28 PM, treaclemineroad said:

Hi guys, I just wanted to give a quick hello to all those SLP kids potentially coming to McGill starting in Fall 2017. I'm currently in my first year at McGill so if you have any questions, I'm up for it.

Hi!! How nice of you to offer! In fact, I do have a question. I was wondering about the option to do a combined degree at McGill, which I understand entails doing a 3rd year for research. I was wondering how many students generally go that route? And how long do you have to decide? And if you do decide to do the combined degree do you apply for funding in your first or second year?

Also, how's your first year going? :) I've already been accepted and can't wait to get started! 

12 hours ago, A_linguist said:

Hi all. Hopefully this week brings more good news to all of you! For those who are going to be attending the McGill program, a Facebook group has been created so we can get to know each other before September. Search for Incoming McGill SLP Students - Sept 2017. Thanks to @linguistics_grad for making the group.

I can't find the group! Is it private?

On 3/17/2017 at 10:31 AM, slpbee said:

For the third time applicants here, how have you been dealing with academic references? I'm a second time applicant and I'm worried about having to ask my professors to submit their references yet again next year if this year doesn't work out.

I graduated last year and have since been working as a speech language assistant.  Aside from a couple online courses, I haven't been in school for quite a while. I'm worried that asking for another reference might be too much to ask for when I haven't been in their classes for two years. 

Any advice?

I'm in the same boat.. I feel bad as well but I once had a prof told me never to feel bad because it's a huge part of their job. I would suggest popping in to see them to freshen their memory of who you are and updating them on what you have been up to since you graduated. That same prof also told me she has written people letters who have been out of school 5+ years, just no more than 10.. so I think you are still good!

On 2017-03-18 at 0:28 PM, treaclemineroad said:

Hi guys, I just wanted to give a quick hello to all those SLP kids potentially coming to McGill starting in Fall 2017. I'm currently in my first year at McGill so if you have any questions, I'm up for it.

I'm curious about what neighbourhood to live in! I want to at least start looking when I come for the open house since I'm making the trip to Montreal anyways. I've read online that a lot of grads live in Plateau Mont-Royal, but most of the apartments I have found online that I really like are South-East of McGill, closer to the Concordia neighbourhood. There are newer places there, while Plateau seems to have a a lot of older buildings. Any suggestions? 

Congrats to those of you who got into McGill :) I just checked the portal and I've been rejected. That's okay though, I guess. I'd like to have options to choose from but so long as I have one acceptance I'll make do! Now we just get to wait until April 1st... I wonder if they realize that it's a Saturday? Does that matter? I still haven't heard anything from Toronto at all so.. I don't have a log in portal for there or anything.

1 minute ago, SLPlease? said:

I know the date to potentially hear from UWO is April 1, but when could we expect to hear from UofA, and has anyone heard anything from UofA?

1 hour ago, Bananis said:

Congrats to those of you who got into McGill :) I just checked the portal and I've been rejected. That's okay though, I guess. I'd like to have options to choose from but so long as I have one acceptance I'll make do! Now we just get to wait until April 1st... I wonder if they realize that it's a Saturday? Does that matter? I still haven't heard anything from Toronto at all so.. I don't have a log in portal for there or anything.

I go to Western and one of the profs told us that you guys find out March 31st at midnight through your portal. I'm not sure about Toronto but I found out through an email on the morning of April 1st last year. 

1 minute ago, klfstudent said:

I go to Western and one of the profs told us that you guys find out March 31st at midnight through your portal. I'm not sure about Toronto but I found out through an email on the morning of April 1st last year. 

Thanks @klfstudent! Much appreciated :)