2017 Canadian Application Thread!

On 3/21/2017 at 1:55 AM, sbog said:

I'm U.S. applicant just accepted to McGill- do you or any of your classmates have experience with ASHA certification after studying in Canada? Thanks!

Hi U.S. Applicant! 

I'm curious, did you receive your undergraduate degree in Canada (linguistics based) or do a B.S. in speech-language pathology in the U.S? What was your process like and why did you choose Canada? 

I am a Canadian citizen who completed a B.S. in Speech-Language Pathology in the U.S. 

Congrats on being accepted and Welcome to Canada! ??

For those who were accepted at McGill: Is anyone else worried that something might go wrong on the final approval? Is it really a decision-making process where they analyze the whole file, or is it just to confirm that all the documents are in order, and that the committee didn't miss something like not enough credits to graduate, etc? Has it ever happened that someone didn't make it the final approval?

I just really want to have to confirmation!

34 minutes ago, Vee_SLP said:

For those who were accepted at McGill: Is anyone else worried that something might go wrong on the final approval? Is it really a decision-making process where they analyze the whole file, or is it just to confirm that all the documents are in order, and that the committee didn't miss something like not enough credits to graduate, etc? Has it ever happened that someone didn't make it the final approval?

I just really want to have to confirmation!

I'm wondering the same thing! I assume that the final approval is more a formality than anything, otherwise why would they have sent out the acceptances? Right? That's how I'm looking at it anyway.

Hopefully the official acceptance letters will come soon!!! :) 

Edited by MissSLP

19 minutes ago, MissSLP said:

I'm wondering the same thing! I assume that the final approval is more a formality than anything, otherwise why would they have sent out the acceptances? Right? That's how I'm looking at it anyway.

Hopefully the official acceptance letters will come soon!!! :) 

You're right, they have contacted me about clarifying some information... I guess I just panicked for a moment there thinking, what if. It's really not official, until it's official! 

10 hours ago, Vee_SLP said:

You're right, they have contacted me about clarifying some information... I guess I just panicked for a moment there thinking, what if. It's really not official, until it's official! 

I feel like sending out the recommendation and then it getting rejected would have to be for a major reason (fake transcripts or something similar). I think we would feel crushed if it was still up in the air and got switched around. That said I'm not-so patiently waiting for the official confirmation too. 

Although i didn't apply to most of the other schools I'm excited for the rest of you to hear back about the applications! The wait is almost over :)

On 2017-03-21 at 8:14 AM, theyaaz said:

@SLPlease? The admin at U of A said that offer letters would be going out on April 1st as well. No sure if that actually means April 3 though since the first is a Saturday...

I just received an email from the  Univeristy of Alberta saying I've been accepted. I will be declining to attend McGill. I will also be declining Dalhousie, so someone off the waitlist should get an email that they've been accepted. 

5 minutes ago, TravellingSpeechie said:

I just received an email from the  Univeristy of Alberta saying I've been accepted. I will be declining to attend McGill. I will also be declining Dalhousie, so someone off the waitlist should get an email that they've been accepted. 

Congratulations! That's super exciting :)

I'm surprised that U of A is emailing people already. I thought I had read somewhere that they wouldn't be contacting anyone until April!

Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted to the U of A! I also just received an email offering admission to the U of A which I will be accepting. I will be taking my name off the wait list at McGill so hopefully that helps somebody else out :)

@mizuro

I live in McKernan which is really close to the LRT and about a 15 minute walk away from campus. I really like the area, it's super accessible and also pretty quiet. There isn't much for apartments I don't think in that area, but a lot of basement suites or houses to rent if you have a couple people to rent with. There are a few apartment buildings that are right off campus though (Windsor Park Plaza is just across the street from Corbett Hall). Downtown is also a decent option and there is lots to choose from there! Transit makes it pretty easy to get to campus from there. Hope that helps! If you have any other questions about the city let me know :) 

Long time lurker here. This was my 3rd year applying and I was accepted to the U of A and Minot State University. I graduated from the U of S with psychology and linguistics degrees and applied both years to Canadian schools, but did not get in. My grades were good and I had plenty of volunteer experience. I have no idea what I was doing "wrong". I applied to Minot, North Dakota for a post-bac in communication disorders as a "back-up plan", and it was the best decision I could've made. I definitely recommend looking into it! I have decided to accept Minot State and decline the U of A for a number of reasons. This will open up a spot for someone else! Good luck to those still waiting to hear!

I've been accepted to the U of A as well! This was my second time applying. So happy it worked out this time! I will definitely be accepting the offer. 

Edited by slpbee

Hey guys! I've been following this thread for quite some time now and have finally decided to make an account! It's been pretty therapeutic reading everyone's posts and realizing that we're all in the same boat concerning our anxieties and angst of hearing back! Also, I was one of the people who got an interview at McMaster and have been wait-listed at McGill.
Congratulations to everyone who has already heard back!!!! :D

Just got an acceptance e-mail from UofA too!! and McGill last week...definitely was not anticipating having to make a decision between schools! I'm from BC and haven't been to either city -- if anyone has input I would be happy to hear it! 

I was reading all of you posting about your acceptances to U of A this morning and was feeling pretty down as I headed out the door for work. I decided to check my email during the day, and to my shock I had an offer of admission to Alberta! Super stoked! Looking forward to meeting all of you!

22 minutes ago, razzerpears said:

If the decision says it's pending (for U of A) is that a sign I might be waitlisted? Or is that a rejection email waiting to happen?

That does not mean rejection. When I spoke to the admin at U of A, she said that the portal will be the last place that your status gets updated, you will get an email long before that of any decisions. So unfortunately, the portal status does not give you any new info. Just gotta keep playing the waiting game!

The countdown is on -  I'm SO glad we'll have a response by the end of this week! 

Something that I found helpful was creating a chart so that when I get the news, I immediately have action steps in place to deal with: the good news, the ok news and even the bad news. Thought I would share it so you can create one of your own to help you deal with the difficult waiting period! And don't forget to put "celebrate" under what to do immediately if you're accepted! ?

58d69b6d24959_ScreenShot2017-03-25at12_31_16PM.png.bab9e1ae9067d0587a0feb4448259afc.png

Hey everyone!

Congrats to all who have been accepted to iwherever, that is a wonderful accomplishment and something to be proud of.

I've applied to U of A for this upcoming fall and and desperately waiting for an answer. They sent out a round of acceptance emails this past Thursday and I'm only hoping I will get one in the coming weeks.

I just wanted to ask a question to anyone in the program or who knows a lot about it - I've heard they're doing a "holistic" approach with applicants, i.e. looking at their app as a whole. I say this because I know U of A is a grades heavy school and my GPA is a little low compared to all of these 3.7/3.8's. I'm almost embarrassed to say what it actually is even though I should be proud of my work.

I have a lot of SLP volunteer experience as well as some great references, but a non competitive GPA. I guess my question is should I be as panicked and worried as I am? I've had multiple panic attacks about this ?