2017 Canadian Application Thread!

54 minutes ago, SpeechWannaB said:

How do you know they started making calls?

I don't think they have started yet - at least as far as I know. According to the results page, a bunch of people were accepted on March 9th last year. It seems they make calls over the course of a few days, usually around the 10th or so, so perhaps they're going to start next week. Who knows though!

I've been checking the results, my uApply, and my email like a fiend. Nooo signs of anything from McGill yet. I feel like I've been waiting for an eternity! Their website says mid-March, so surely it should be soon? Maybe next week? Monday seems like a pretty normal time to decide a student's fate, yes? ;)

Love & luck to all! 

Edited by linguistics_grad

11 hours ago, Bananis said:

I read somewhere on the website that they'd be sending out notifications by mail... I'm not sure if they meant email or snail mail but the date was super late and vague. So it's hard to say. As far as I know they still haven't even gotten my GRE scores which I had sent AGAIN. They assured me in emails that they'd email me when they were found/received but I still haven't heard anything... I'm worried they're going to send out the acceptances and I'll be forever wondering if I didn't get in because they didn't get these stupid scores... =_=

They lost mine too! I've sent them twice as well. They asked for my unofficial scores so I had to send them a screen-shotted photo of the GRE-ETS website page. 

3 hours ago, linguistics_grad said:

I've been checking the results, my uApply, and my email like a fiend. Nooo signs of anything from McGill yet. I feel like I've been waiting for an eternity! Their website says mid-March, so surely it should be soon? Maybe next week? Monday seems like a pretty normal time to decide a student's fate, yes? ;)

Love & luck to all! 

Same! I was so convinced they would make calls this week based on the old forums. I don't know if my nerves can handle waiting any longer!!

14 hours ago, Bananis said:

I read somewhere on the website that they'd be sending out notifications by mail... I'm not sure if they meant email or snail mail but the date was super late and vague. So it's hard to say. As far as I know they still haven't even gotten my GRE scores which I had sent AGAIN. They assured me in emails that they'd email me when they were found/received but I still haven't heard anything... I'm worried they're going to send out the acceptances and I'll be forever wondering if I didn't get in because they didn't get these stupid scores... =_=

I'm in the same boat! They told me they didn't have my GRE scores a couple of weeks ago, so I re-sent them and still haven't heard anything back from the department. I'm wondering if I should send them an email to make sure they actually did receive them this time. I'm not really a fan of the Dal application to be honest. It seems really disorganized with some things needing to be sent in the mail and others not. 

1 hour ago, slpbee said:

I'm in the same boat! They told me they didn't have my GRE scores a couple of weeks ago, so I re-sent them and still haven't heard anything back from the department. I'm wondering if I should send them an email to make sure they actually did receive them this time. I'm not really a fan of the Dal application to be honest. It seems really disorganized with some things needing to be sent in the mail and others not. 

It sounds like more than a few of us had our GRE scores lost. You know, I was worried about this when I was paying for them to send the scores on the ETS site. My friend did it too the same as I did and hers arrived, so I don't know how they managed to lose so many of ours. But when you fill out the section of where to send the score reports, you can't really see the address or anything, right? It just has the school name and code 0620 or whatever the heck it was. So I was worried it might go to an old address (to a different department) or something. I actually phoned ETS and tried to find out the address they were sending it to and they couldn't tell me. They were like "we don't use addresses" and I was like "how do you not have an address? surely it's there somewhere. How does the mail go out??". In the end she wouldn't/couldn't tell me and I just had to hope that the second time would work.

18 minutes ago, Bananis said:

It sounds like more than a few of us had our GRE scores lost. You know, I was worried about this when I was paying for them to send the scores on the ETS site. My friend did it too the same as I did and hers arrived, so I don't know how they managed to lose so many of ours. But when you fill out the section of where to send the score reports, you can't really see the address or anything, right? It just has the school name and code 0620 or whatever the heck it was. So I was worried it might go to an old address (to a different department) or something. I actually phoned ETS and tried to find out the address they were sending it to and they couldn't tell me. They were like "we don't use addresses" and I was like "how do you not have an address? surely it's there somewhere. How does the mail go out??". In the end she wouldn't/couldn't tell me and I just had to hope that the second time would work.

I think I posted this somewhere earlier in the thread, but Dal actually did have an address change to their department this year. I sent all of my application (online and mail) relatively quickly because I wanted to have it finished. Sadly, after I had submitted all of my documents, I noticed that the address on their department website was no longer the same.

I was pretty upset at this because nowhere on the website did it state that there was going to be a change of address. Fortunately they were able to track all of my documents down. If anyone is concerned about whether their documents have actually arrived, I would definitely suggest emailing the department. Even though there was some confusion in my application, Mark in the admissions office was extremely helpful in getting everything sorted out!

@slpbee I agree with you! In comparison to all of the other schools, the Dalhousie application process seems very unorganized. I think it would be great if they could switch to a completely online system, though I'm sure that's much easier said than done.

17 hours ago, Bananis said:

From the Admission Procedures part of the Dalhousie SLP site it says decisions will be snail mailed in April and May.

From the results page of previous years it seems most people got notifications by email and WAY earlier so I'm not sure why the change this year :/

20 minutes ago, anSLPtobe said:

From the Admission Procedures part of the Dalhousie SLP site it says decisions will be snail mailed in April and May.

From the results page of previous years it seems most people got notifications by email and WAY earlier so I'm not sure why the change this year :/

Does your Dalonline application summary have anything written next to the word Decision? 

I'm trying to figure out if they will post "yes or no" on there first before we receive the notifications in the mail. 

6 hours ago, SLPhopeful17 said:

Same! I was so convinced they would make calls this week based on the old forums. I don't know if my nerves can handle waiting any longer!!

Their prospective student day is the 25th of March so I guess it'll be before then. Hopefully at least a week before? My guess is they'll make calls next wed-fri, but I hope it's sooner. 

3 hours ago, slpslpslpbc said:

Does your Dalonline application summary have anything written next to the word Decision? 

I'm trying to figure out if they will post "yes or no" on there first before we receive the notifications in the mail. 

I'm not too sure and can't check until next week. Something's up with my login ID & password so I need to call the registrar to reset it but I forgot about the time difference and will have to wait until Monday.

20 hours ago, slpslpslpbc said:

Mine just says the same as yours did, I think. That written notification will follow. During the process they were really slow updating the online thing though. I wonder if they would even update it? I have a feeling they'll send out emails or actual snail mail :/ Considering it's not my first choice anyway because of the extra year, I don't think it matters much. If you get accepted elsewhere, accept it. If Dal comes along a month later and offers you something, it probably won't matter if you already have some other school lined up. If you don't get accepted anywhere, and then Dal comes along like the hero of a story just in the nick of time to rescue you from despair, then all is well lol

On 2017-03-10 at 2:19 PM, anSLPtobe said:

I'm pretty sure it said that for me last year too so it probably doesn't mean much. They sent me an email on March 17th last year that I was on the waitlist and ended up scanning and attaching my letter to the email. 

12 minutes ago, toward the ocean said:

Hi. Has anyone heard back from UVic or USask regarding admission?

I think you're in the wrong thread :) This is the thread for Speech Pathology programs. Try searching in the 'results' section.

1 hour ago, SLPlease? said:

I know that @mizuro has heard back from U of A, but has anyone else heard from any of the schools with offers of admission? I feel like it's safe to assume that if I haven't heard from U of A at this point I likely didn't make the cut.

I know that Western, Toronto and McMaster you won't hear from until the end of the month, and McGill will be sometime this week. Don't give up hope!

@SLPlease? Mizuro got the awesome recruitment scholarship to U of A, but as far as I know no other offers have been given out yet. I'm also waiting to hear back from U of A. I've been asking around and checking all the info I've got, but there is still hope! Last year they started giving out the rest of the offers around March 16-18 it looks like. So hopefully we'll hear something soon!