HKS 2017

HKS hopeful

6 hours ago, Jointee2020 said:

Hi all,

Does anyone know when domestic students receive their signed letters of acceptance?

Also, does anyone know how competitive the CPL fellowships are at the finalist/interview stage?

thanks! Go crimson. 

I received my letter today (Monday 3/13) in the mail. 

Congrats to all admitted. Those who are not, just don't give up and follow your dreams. Admitted to HKS MPP as well, just waiting for financial aid decisions. I also have admissions from UMich Ford School (two-year full tuition), Texas A&M Bush School (15k scholarship= full tuition/fees +3k) and Minnesota-Twin Cities Humphrey School (yet to hear about funding). I'm just torn between these options, but I think that I'd decide between HKS and Ford School.  UMich Ford School is a great school, but HKS has always been my dream school. Though $$$ is a big factor for me as an international student. Tough choices ahead.  

What is the case for paying full tuition to the Kennedy School? 

I applied to four or five fellowships to HKS, but I'm not really expecting to get one. Obviously, there are approximately $150,000 reasons not to take out a huge amount of debt for an MPP. I'm not independently wealthy. I don't want to go into consulting, and I don't want to work in the private sector. If Public Service Loan Forgiveness goes away (which is certainly possible, if not likely), that debt load would be overwhelming. 

There are people out here who *do* take out $100,000+ in loans to go to HKS. What is the justification for paying full tuition? I ask without judgement; I almost want you to convince me that it is reasonable!

Thanks, y'all. I like this community. 

Guys - I decided to make the trip to new admit day. 15+ hour flight from Hong Kong which is where I am atm. But at least its a direct flight to Boston!

My thinking was that given this a huge costs (both fees and opportunity cost) I want to hit the ground running and be prepared. 

I have not been to Cambridge area so what to get a 'feel' for the school and the location - look at some housing options and just generally get excited about the 12 months I will spend there.

Just my 2 cents.

3 hours ago, Pacey17 said:

Guys - I decided to make the trip to new admit day. 15+ hour flight from Hong Kong which is where I am atm. But at least its a direct flight to Boston!

My thinking was that given this a huge costs (both fees and opportunity cost) I want to hit the ground running and be prepared. 

I have not been to Cambridge area so what to get a 'feel' for the school and the location - look at some housing options and just generally get excited about the 12 months I will spend there.

Just my 2 cents.

Awesome, How long will you be staying at Boston?

If you would share your thoughts about your trip here it would be greatly appreciated too, from us international students who will not be able to make the trip.

i think i will be there for 1 week. sure v happy to share thoughts.

THIS is a question for everyone - 

Does choosing to ACCEPT your admission - impact at all the decision on financial aid ahead of the first of April announcement on Aid?

On 3/14/2017 at 3:58 PM, tinpants12 said:

What is the case for paying full tuition to the Kennedy School? 

I applied to four or five fellowships to HKS, but I'm not really expecting to get one. Obviously, there are approximately $150,000 reasons not to take out a huge amount of debt for an MPP. I'm not independently wealthy. I don't want to go into consulting, and I don't want to work in the private sector. If Public Service Loan Forgiveness goes away (which is certainly possible, if not likely), that debt load would be overwhelming. 

There are people out here who *do* take out $100,000+ in loans to go to HKS. What is the justification for paying full tuition? I ask without judgement; I almost want you to convince me that it is reasonable!

Thanks, y'all. I like this community. 

I second that!  I am not expecting much money (if any) from Harvard, and as much as I would like to go there, I can't wrap my head around taking on that much debt when I have other offers from top-tier programs that could potentially leave me (almost) debt free upon graduation (or at least a lot less than Harvard).  Also not trying to judge or criticize people who made or might make that decision, but very curious to hear the line of reasoning behind it.

Also, if there are any lurking around here, I'd be curious to hear from HKS grads who DID make that decision in the past.... how did it pan out? Thoughts? Insights?

Btw, did anyone get a travel grant to go to the new admit day?  I was denied (coming from west coast), which may be a bad sign for any other potential fellowships/funding coming my way... For the record, I applied within about 10-15 minutes of receiving my admissions letter.

Got my official letter last night. I didn't realize that the DoA was writing personalized letters on them. I just assumed he was slapping on a signature. That was a real nice touch. 

Also got a call from a current student last night. I missed it because I was in a board meeting but I'm excited to call her back tonight. 

I'm going to be so crushed in a week and a half when they tell me I didn't get any funding and I have to choose to go somewhere else. 

April 1 is when financial aid comes out? Where have people heard this specific date? Haven't they just said first week of April (and apparently they're getting really close)?

Anyone know how many people reject their offer to HKS each year (most likely due to funding)? Or if people really do finance the bulk of their schooling in loans? This seems pretty crazy (especially for an MPP) and am definitely more looking at Duke and Chicago (half tuition at both) if I don't receive a substantial offer from HKS (which is sadly likely)

6 minutes ago, LizaBee said:

April 1 is when financial aid comes out? Where have people heard this specific date? Haven't they just said first week of April (and apparently they're getting really close)?

Anyone know how many people reject their offer to HKS each year (most likely due to funding)? Or if people really do finance the bulk of their schooling in loans? This seems pretty crazy (especially for an MPP) and am definitely more looking at Duke and Chicago (half tuition at both) if I don't receive a substantial offer from HKS (which is sadly likely)

I think in past years, it was always April 1. This year, that's a Saturday, so HKS is saying first week of April. I'm assuming we hear on Monday, but will be really sad if I find out that I get no funding when I am at new admit day on Friday. 

Edited by Obecalp

Just now, Nasty Woman said:

From the admitted student website: "Financial Aid Information will be available on MYFAID by April 1."

Last year, it came out on March 31.

I was wrong and spoke too soon. This is more proof that Nasty Women should be in charge. :) 

Just now, Nasty Woman said:

Haha! I've been eagerly awaiting the email. I'm also going to the New Admit day next week, and it will be a bummer to visit the school if I don't get any funding. 

We can cry on each other's shoulders or dance with elation together. 

If you get a full ride and I get no funding I will try to be excited for you, but I might not mean it. :)

28 minutes ago, Palolem said:

Just got my CPL decision - haven't been offered a fellowship. But, I suppose this means that we'll hear about the regular scholarships soon too?

Have you been invited for an interview by CPL? Who informed you of that decision? (your financial counselor)?

I didn't get any too. :( Feels very mean. 
I thought I'd get at least a little because CPL fellowships are supposed to be super competitive and I was shortlisted. WWS it is, I guess!