HKS 2017

HKS hopeful

5 hours ago, carpe_diem_0618 said:

Changed for me also! 

I was wondering if anyone could give two cents on HKS admissions statistics for international students. 

On their class profile webpage, it says roughly 25% of 225 MPP students have been international students the past few years, which translates to admitting about 60 per class. This year they received applications from 148 countries. Do you guys think that the Ad Com would evaluate decisions by comparing profiles against other candidates from same country/region? And does 148 nations include students who applied to MPP, MC/MPA, and MPA/ID?

I know that for MBA programs some people would like to think that the historical data on international students is a way to estimate their chances. The argument to support this is that the number of admitted students from each country remains generally constant from year to year. I don't agree with this theory, but have heard it more than once.

16 hours ago, HKSApplicant said:

Hello everyone! This forum is very quiet this time if compared with previous years.

Quick question... I have just checked my application and the format has changed (basically, it has lost the majority of text and now there is only a short paragraph in the left -before there were email addresses and other ways of contacting HKS- and the application checklist in the right - no more instructions-). Did this happen to everyone?

Thank you and good luck! I think we are quite close (my bet, maximum: Wednesday the 8th or even earlier). 

Mine hasn't. It is still as it has always been. With instructions and contact addresses.

59 minutes ago, drumroll said:

Mine hasn't. It is still as it has always been. With instructions and contact addresses.

Thank you, maybe it depends on the program. I applied to the MPA2! Or simply they started posting the decisions internally and then stopped on Friday and will continue on Monday. 

11 hours ago, devx said:

Has changed for me as well. I applied for MPA/ID

1 hour ago, poefan said:

No changes to my page. Have applied to mpa id.

Interesting. No?

Regardless,

Hoping for lots of celebrations next week when decisions are released. Start polishing those dancing shoes.. :-) 

54 minutes ago, HKS hopeful said:

Interesting. No?

Regardless,

Hoping for lots of celebrations next week when decisions are released. Start polishing those dancing shoes.. :-) 

Haha, interesting and scary at the same time.

Don't know whether this 'change' is a harbinger of good or bad news!

Edited by devx

1 hour ago, MCMPA17 said:

For those with changes, what exactly is the change that took place?

Hi,

No need to worry at all as there is no correlation between application page format and admission status moreover its just a matter of few days now and we all will find out the decisions.

Best of luck to you.

33 minutes ago, poefan said:

Hi,

No need to worry at all as there is no correlation between application page format and admission status moreover its just a matter of few days now and we all will find out the decisions.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks! Best of luck to you as well. 

I was reading the posts last year and it appears that the page format was a tell, which got me thinking.

But you're right, it's just a few days if it comes out this coming Wednesday if it follows the pattern. Worrying will not change anything. Still, a little good hint is welcome.

Edited by MCMPA17

As we wait for the results I would like to take the opportunity of learning from you all about the different works you guys are doing and its impact.

Since last three years I have started and is leading Future Agriculture Leaders of India (FALI) which is somewhat inspired from the Future Farmers of America. FALI is rooted in the Action Platform’s research which indicates that most children and their parents do not want the next generation to go into agriculture, largely because they see it as an unpromising activity, based upon the experience of India’s many small and marginal farmers. FALI aims to both turn around the perception of students and their parents and prepare young people to succeed in modern farming and agro-enterprise. 

This project is currently operational in 46 schools with plans to touch 100 schools by June 2017. Surveys have indicated that we are able to change the perception of the students and their parents towards agriculture.

7 hours ago, MCMPA17 said:

New Admit Blog - Available on New Admit Portal

has anyone seen this before?

This is getting closer. There is a new post in the blog, with a content that explains the New Admit Blog and Portal and other related things, which at least in 2015 and 2016 was published two days before the Admissions Decisions went public. Then, or they are released on the 7th or Matt (and his great team) wants to create a bit of surprise this year! Wednesday is the norm...but the 7th is a Tuesday :-S

Edited by HKSApplicant

Having checked the application thread for 2016, it appears that:

Application page change = Non-admitted (rejected or waitlisted)

No application page change = Accepted

Unfortunately, I find myself in the latter category; given admission rates, it would make sense that most of us should find ourselves in that category (application page change) given that the majority of applicants are rejected. If you see the post on the admission blog dated for 2/3/17, the 'notification' decision is dated for the 28/2/17. This has me believe that the decisions are already uploaded and that application screen change = denied because they are still building/formating the application screen for admitted applicants to include the additional resources they need. Moreover, it makes sense to remove contact details on non-admitted pages as many rejected applicants will seek to enquire/email the admission office! :(

Edited by ztoa

2 hours ago, ztoa said:

Having checked the application thread for 2016, it appears that:

Application page change = Non-admitted (rejected or waitlisted)

No application page change = Accepted

Unfortunately, I find myself in the latter category; given admission rates, it would make sense that most of us should find ourselves in that category (application page change) given that the majority of applicants are rejected. If you see the post on the admission blog dated for 2/3/17, the 'notification' decision is dated for the 28/2/17. This has me believe that the decisions are already uploaded and that application screen change = denied because they are still building/formating the application screen for admitted applicants to include the additional resources they need. Moreover, it makes sense to remove contact details on non-admitted pages as many rejected applicants will seek to enquire/email the admission office! :(

I don't think it's as clear cut as this. I saw the same pattern as you on last year's thread and got worried, so I dug a bit more.

This user @shrimps said he/she saw a change to the page, but was admitted. So try not to panic :) We really will never know what the page change means. Just a few more days until results!

7 minutes ago, gradschoolkid said:

I don't think it's as clear cut as this. I saw the same pattern as you on last year's thread and got worried, so I dug a bit more.

This user @shrimps said he/she saw a change to the page, but was admitted. So try not to panic :) We really will never know what the page change means. Just a few more days until results!

Maybe there really is no pattern :) 

All the best. Just a few days for sure

27 minutes ago, gradschoolkid said:

I did exactly the same with that user :o ... I think that I need a couple days offline and suddenly see the decision on Tuesday/Wednesday... But it is so hard not to recheck all the time! :rolleyes: All the best team!

Edited by HKSApplicant

can imagine its a stressful wait but no point to make any speculation/assumption that a formatting change can equal an admit decision or not!

Best of luck to everyone!

FC for all. I've looked through last year's posts regarding changes on the status page:

1) Six persons shared their information, and all of them were changed. I didn't find any response saying no change;

2) Among six persons, four rejected, one admitted - shrimps - and one waitlisted

I think it is difficult to find meaningful correlation between the changes and admission results. Let's wait a few more days. Announcement is getting closer!