This is precisely what the title suggests. ^_^

Invite everyone planning to apply for a master's course in the field of Music to share concerns, updates here. And I request everyone already enrolled in such programmes to help us out. @Musicologist :)

I am personally confused between Musicology and Ethnomusicology and want to find out more about Music therapy as a programme. 

Any disussion around it is much appreciated! 

Musicology is an umbrella term for the scholarly study of music. Like most other disciplines, musicology has various sub-disciplines including: historical musicology, or the study of the 'western' (classic western European tradition) musical cannon, ethnomusicology or what used to be know as comparative musicology is the study of music practices outside the 'western' cannon including subjects such as pop music, world music, and traditional music, and finally cognitive musicology which studies the physiological effects of music. Other disciples exist under this umbrella such as music philosophy, and even music theory by definition.  

I want to pursue a MM in Wind Conducting.

I plan on applying to the following schools: Michigan, Michigan State, Columbus State, FSU, LSU, UT Austin, and North Texas. 

I really have no chance at getting into any of them but if I don't try then I will never know. 

On 9/12/2016 at 5:39 AM, KultureWar said:

Musicology is an umbrella term for the scholarly study of music. Like most other disciplines, musicology has various sub-disciplines including: historical musicology, or the study of the 'western' (classic western European tradition) musical cannon, ethnomusicology or what used to be know as comparative musicology is the study of music practices outside the 'western' cannon including subjects such as pop music, world music, and traditional music, and finally cognitive musicology which studies the physiological effects of music. Other disciples exist under this umbrella such as music philosophy, and even music theory by definition.  

Thank you for defining it for me. For an International student like me, ethnomusicology makes more sense, am I right? 

On 9/13/2016 at 11:18 PM, musiklehrer said:

I want to pursue a MM in Wind Conducting.

I plan on applying to the following schools: Michigan, Michigan State, Columbus State, FSU, LSU, UT Austin, and North Texas. 

I really have no chance at getting into any of them but if I don't try then I will never know. 

Hey!! I am planning to apply to both Michigan and FSU. In fact, UCLA too. And yes, don't presume anything. If you're passionate for what you've chosen, you'll definitely get it!! All the best :) 

On 9/19/2016 at 11:49 AM, Musiconnection said:

Hey!! I am planning to apply to both Michigan and FSU. In fact, UCLA too. And yes, don't presume anything. If you're passionate for what you've chosen, you'll definitely get it!! All the best :) 

I am completely stuck on my Statement of Purpose ---- I am not especially comfortable writing about myself. What should be included in such a statement? Any tips? 

I'm currently working on applications for music theory programs:

Michigan

UT Austin

Ohio State

Jacobs 

Louisiana State

Eastman

Yale

CUNY Graduate Center

At this point I'm just trying to perfect my SOP, CV, and writing samples but its like pulling teeth to get any of my professors to look at them.  

Any other theorists out there?

Hey there,

I'm also applying for Music Theory programs but only in Canadian universities. I've done my writing sample and CV but SoP is really hard for me to write because I'm coming from electronics engineering undergraduate and also studies another M.A on sound engineering in my country.

It's hard to present a coherent academic background when you don't have one =)

• 5 months later...

A little late to the party. I applied to NYU (Steinhardt), Berklee (Valencia Campus), and USC (Thornton) for a Master of Music in Screen Scoring/Film Scoring. 

• I was admitted to NYU on Feb 28 via email. 
  • Invited to interview at Berklee on Feb 23 via email. The interview went very well but I am still waiting on a decision.
  • No word from USC, which is my first choice. 

Has anyone heard anything back from Thornton for any masters degree program? Same question for Berklee. All programs indicate they will respond by March 31. 

Thanks and good luck to everyone!

• 1 month later...