Should I apply to 3-years or just post-baccs?

plume

I have a 3.3 GPA due to getting poor grades my first 3 semesters of college. I took a semester off after this and received a 3.73 when I went back to school (English major). I graduated 5 years ago. I have been working as a language therapist for a year and a half (mostly kids, some adults, all with language and other related disorders). I am calling around to shadow SLPs in other settings and to get some volunteer experience. My work experience before this job was not directly related to the SLP profession. I anticipate getting Q-150 V-160, AW- 4.5 or 5 on the GRE later this month. I am taking one class this semester (stats). I thought about being an SLP long before finding my current job, but do not have experience to show it.

My question is: Is it worth it for me to apply to 3-year programs with my GPA? I was planning to apply to 3-year grad programs and leveling programs, but I'm wondering if it is even worth trying for the grad programs this round.

On 9/8/2016 at 1:38 PM, plume said:

I have a 3.3 GPA due to getting poor grades my first 3 semesters of college. I took a semester off after this and received a 3.73 when I went back to school (English major). I graduated 5 years ago. I have been working as a language therapist for a year and a half (mostly kids, some adults, all with language and other related disorders). I am calling around to shadow SLPs in other settings and to get some volunteer experience. My work experience before this job was not directly related to the SLP profession. I anticipate getting Q-150 V-160, AW- 4.5 or 5 on the GRE later this month. I am taking one class this semester (stats). I thought about being an SLP long before finding my current job, but do not have experience to show it.

My question is: Is it worth it for me to apply to 3-year programs with my GPA? I was planning to apply to 3-year grad programs and leveling programs, but I'm wondering if it is even worth trying for the grad programs this round.

If you can afford it, definitely apply for the 3-year masters programs. In my opinion, it is totally worth it over the stress of doing a post-bacc and then re-applying. I went a similar route, and I'd be happy to share whatever I think I know about the process. Feel free to message me! :)