Horrible practice scores, what to do?

EvelynD

Hey guys, I tried my firt practice GRE test on Magoosh today to come up woth some sort of 'base line'. Was planning on taking the test in two weeks, and I have done some light studying in the last week (since I didn't really have a clue how to study for this I took a couple of weeks just figuring out what to do). I have taken one tutoring session for math and I did all the exercises in my GRE prep book and some stuff online. 

However,...my test results were bad,..I scored 143V and 149Q. I know I'm not going to get a high score for math since I didn't take anything beyond basic math in high school which was already 15 years ago. But verbal? My English isn't bad (my MA was in English), but I have never ever seen about 75% of the words in the sections where you have to fill in the blanks. Since i'm going for anthropology/sociology I'm ok with a low math score but verbal has to be better! I'm also ok with not scoring as high as a native speaker, but I can't imagine this is a selling point for me :P 

Can you guys give me some advice how, in two weeks time, I can boost my whatever to get some better scores? I can't imagine memorizing a dicctionairy is the way to go, and I have no clue how I could adopt a different strategy if I don't understand the words. Urg,..This is making me feel so dumb! 

Edited by EvelynD

Download the Magoosh flashcards if you have a smart phone and drill through the sets. You might be able to raise your score to the 150s if you just drill vocab between now and then. Other than that, with two weeks time, I really don't know what else to tell you. 

Hi Evelyn D,

Many Test Takers spend several months studying for the GRE before they hit their 'peak' scores, so you have to decide which is more important - taking the GRE in a couple of weeks OR putting in the necessary time to 'lock in' a higher score. 

1) Do you have a specific score goal in mind?

2) What are the average GRE scores for the Programs that you plan to apply to?

GRE Masters aren't born, they're made,

Rich

I know it totally sucks, I intended to start studying monthws ago but I got a very demanding fulltime job so there went my plans...

I can also consider taking the test at the end of October (which would be my initial retake date) but if I fail that one too then I don't think I have time to take a retake. 

Edit: on the GRE site they say that it takes about 10-15 days for your official scores to be processed. If this is the case then I can take the first test before October ends, and have enough time for a retake,.right?

Edited by EvelynD

• 2 weeks later...

You need to wait 21 days before retaking your test.

Also, as someone mentioned above, the Magoosh flash card app is very useful as I myself used it. Also, try "Word Power Made Easy" by Norman Lewis, many people claim that it helped them a lot.

Invest in a good GRE coaching book as it will help you get a feel of the different types of questions.

On 9/8/2016 at 1:07 PM, EvelynD said:

I know I'm not going to get a high score for math since I didn't take anything beyond basic math in high school which was already 15 years ago. But verbal?

Most of the math concepts you need for the GRE are concepts you learned in elementary school and junior high. There's no high-level math like calculus, differential equations or complicated trig (e.g., sine, cosines, etc). So, give yourself some credit for your ability to crush the math sections. 

Cheers,

Brent