Fall 2017 Applicants

fbuggey93

Hi everyone, I figured I'd start the Fall 2017 thread to see where everyone's thinking about applying to, and so we can share some helpful tip and what not. For now, I'm applying to Temple's MSW and West Chester University's MSW program for the sheer fact that they're local programs (and super affordable). Where is everyone else looking?

17 hours ago, Opalescent_Blue said:

BU, Boston College and Simmons are my focus right now...

I'm applying to BC and Simmons as well! Waiting on the BC application to open, though.

I'm also applying to University of Chicago, Loyola and Smith. Smith probably being my top choice.

Hi I'm looking UChicago, Loyola as well as Temple and some others. My partner is very specific about where he's willing to live so I will also maybe add some online programs and relocate with him anyway if at the end of the application season if plan A doesn't work out. 

Just made my check list to get crackin' on Applications

I'm applying to Ohio State and Cincinnati. My wife is active duty Air Force and we'll likely end up in Dayton, OH next summer. OSU is a good 80 miles away but I'm willing to make the drive if accepted. Cincy is my backup. 

I know Miami(OH) is very close but a coworker did her undergrad there and said there is basically no diversity in that school. Case Western isn't far either but I'm not trying to get into that much debt. 

So far I'm applying to clinical programs at Hunter, NYU, and Columbia. I might consider Stony Brook and Fordham but I'll probably just stick to the first three. I'm also applying to LIU Brooklyn MFT program.

Anyone else in NYC area? I just looked at NYU's tuition cost... Really hoping I get into Hunter since it seems to be the best bang for your buck in this area. 

Edited by Kdubbub

Hi, all! So far my list consists of UNC-CH, University of Pittsburgh, University of Michigan, WUSTL, University of Washington - Seattle, and University of Georgia. Some of these tuition rates are crazy, so I'm really hoping to get a good chunk of aid. Hopefully I'm not being too optimistic. 

It's great to see where everyone else is applying so I can broaden my horizons a little and check out new programs. 

I'm in NYC! I'm just looking at NYU and Hunter. I'm mostly focusing on Hunter, I think, because they are way cheaper. NYU seems so nice, though! Good luck. 

Edited by Racket
Trying to quote someone, but I can't figure it out.. :|

I'm applying to 17 MSW programs. Probably overkill, I know, but I want as much of a chance of getting in somewhere as possible.

I'm applying to 6 schools in my home state of California: Berkeley, SDSU, Cal State Fullerton, Cal State Long Beach, San Francisco State, and UCLA.

I'm also applying to University of Washington, Portland State University, Denver University, University of Chicago, University of Illinois at Chicago, Boston University, University of Wisconsin-Madison, University of Michigan, Columbia, NYU, and University of Connecticut.

Good luck to you all! 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm applying to UNC and University of Chicago AM & MPP.

Does anyone have any insight on what they are looking for in the funding section of the UC application? I'd like to have the best possible chance of getting funding.

I'm currently applying to University of Denver (DU), University of Chicago, and Berkeley. I'm still trying to decide on a couple cheaper/safe options in case I don't get accepted/any funding. Honestly, I am a little horrified at and feeling a bit stubborn about going into so much debt. 

Does anyone have suggestions for programs with (relatively) affordable out-of-state tuition- aka under 15k/year with the assumption of 0% funding? I have a decent sized list of schools with price comparisons, but I am asking with the hope that maybe I missed something...

For those interested in working for LA County DMH, there is an application open for the UsCC Graduate Recruitment Program. It's a 2 years stipend of $18,500/year and the payback is 2 years working for the county. http://file.lacounty.gov/SDSInter/dmh/1005123_Underserved-Cultural-Communities-Graduate-Recruitment-Program-Flyer.pdf

On 10/20/2016 at 8:15 PM, mcfall17 said:

I'm applying to UNC and University of Chicago AM & MPP.

Does anyone have any insight on what they are looking for in the funding section of the UC application? I'd like to have the best possible chance of getting funding.

I was told this was how they make their funding decision, so its a mini-fafsa so to speak I tried to be ethical and honest: I have a certain amount saved, plan to work, and then the remainder will be financed. I included grants I was applying to to show I that I am very sincerely in need of aid and have a realistic and mature understanding of how to finance my graduate education. I ventured that unlike the FAFSA where you want your number to be 0, you want to show you are actively looking for aid, leveraging all of your resources, and still have substantial need. 

But that was my approach. I might get bitten for it, we'll see.

On 10/22/2016 at 11:40 AM, schleca said:

Does anyone have suggestions for programs with (relatively) affordable out-of-state tuition- aka under 15k/year with the assumption of 0% funding? I have a decent sized list of schools with price comparisons, but I am asking with the hope that maybe I missed something...

My list for this was all southwestern schools- some of which had tuition exchanges with my state making it much better, but basically every program in New Mexico is pretty affordable, as well as ASU. Factoring in cost of living makes AZ and NM even better...

Too bad my partner is a committed urbanite...

13 hours ago, qt_dnvr said:

My list for this was all southwestern schools- some of which had tuition exchanges with my state making it much better, but basically every program in New Mexico is pretty affordable, as well as ASU. Factoring in cost of living makes AZ and NM even better...

Too bad my partner is a committed urbanite...

Thanks for the response! I know it's a shot in the dark. 

Yes- urbanitism is real, and it is my issue as well. I am fairly under the city spell and committed to studying and working in metropolitan areas. 

For anyone looking now or in the future, I did end up making a massive list of schools to compare out-of-state tuition. There are a number at 20k+ around the country. The only school (as of Fall 2016) I found in a large city for 15k/year or less was Georgia State in Atlanta. I'm still a bit unfamiliar with the program, but there it is. (As a disclaimer, I am not only selecting schools based on tuition, as tuition is really only part of anyone's decision making process. But since I am now pretty much out of state everywhere, I was trying to decide on a couple financially 'safe' schools).