Fall 2017 Applicants

fbuggey93

5 hours ago, olayak said:

Hunter has one of the best programs in the country, in my opinion.  I got my MSW at NYU and although it was a great program, I regret not going to Hunter.  I got my BA and my MSED from Hunter, so I really like the school.  It's very smart to go to Hunter.  In my opinion, it's a better program than either NYU or Columbia. Not enough people realize that. 

Thanks for the insight. They are my top choice, but ultimately I applied to 5 schools. I really just hope I get into any of them haaha.

11 hours ago, Amanda87 said:

Do you think Salem is a better cost of living? From everything I can tell, it would be. 

I'm wrestling with the same thing, though I haven't heard from BC yet. I've already set a pretty high minimum award I'd have to get from them to consider going there. Basically, it would have to lower the cost to below Salem State, plus some extra because I know the cost of living would be more in the city vs in Salem. I honestly think my chances are very slim of getting the amount of money I would need to go to BC, which I'm fine with because honestly SSU was a close second for me. I don't know what I'll do though if I don't even hear from BC in the next two weeks, since I only have 3 weeks to respond to SSU. 

It would. BC is in Chestnut Hill, which isn't right in the middle of the city, so you could (if you had a car) move more toward the central part of the state where cost of living is cheaper. 

So, I was all set to discard Boston College from my list because it's too expensive, but I just got my acceptance packet and have been offered a pretty decent scholarship, which would probably make it doable.  Definitely tight, but doable.  I'd still have to take out Stafford loans for living expenses AND work my ass off at a part-time job to afford the high cost of living, though, unless I could get a GA or work-study.  So, now, I'm making a pro and con list for both BC and UConn, while hoping UConn starts sending out financial aid info soon.  I also might plan a visit to Boston College in a few weeks to get a feel for the campus. Unfortunately, I can't do that at UConn because they're in the midst of moving to another location that they're still building.

Edited by alisham

49 minutes ago, alisham said:

So, I was all set to discard Boston College from my list because it's too expensive, but I just got my acceptance packet and have been offered a pretty decent scholarship, which would probably make it doable.  Definitely tight, but doable.  I'd still have to take out Stafford loans for living expenses AND work my ass off at a part-time job to afford the high cost of living, though, unless I could get a GA or work-study.  So, now, I'm making a pro and con list for both BC and UConn, while hoping UConn starts sending out financial aid info soon.  I also might plan a visit to Boston College in a few weeks to get a feel for the campus. Unfortunately, I can't do that at UConn because they're in the midst of moving to another location that they're still building.

I made my pro and con list last week without the offer yet that I'll hopefully get! Let me know if you want to compare notes, feel free to send me a message. :)

3 hours ago, alisham said:

Ugh, I neeeeeed UConn to send out that information! They said they are sending more info in early March, so hopefully we will hear soon!

3 minutes ago, bquinn said:

Ugh, I neeeeeed UConn to send out that information! They said they are sending more info in early March, so hopefully we will hear soon!

The wait for financial aid is, at this moment, more aggravating than the wait for acceptances.  I just want to know if UConn is only going to offer me Stafford loans because, if that's the case, Boston College ends up being cheaper (not counting their horrendous cost of living) for me.  I also want to know if they're actually on time to finish building the Hartford campus because it still looks like a pile of bricks to me.

Are you planning on commuting from MA or are you moving to CT?

Hello,

I turned in my application for the advanced standing program at CSULA on Jan 11th. Today, I received a call to interview with the MSW school of social work.  Did any 1 year applicants also receive a call for an interview? I know their ASP program is relatively new, but does anybody know somebody currently in the program and know the type of questions they asked during the interview?

Thanks! 

3 hours ago, alisham said:

The wait for financial aid is, at this moment, more aggravating than the wait for acceptances.  I just want to know if UConn is only going to offer me Stafford loans because, if that's the case, Boston College ends up being cheaper (not counting their horrendous cost of living) for me.  I also want to know if they're actually on time to finish building the Hartford campus because it still looks like a pile of bricks to me.

Are you planning on commuting from MA or are you moving to CT?

I'll be commuting from Springfield- my husband and I are buying a house there in just over a month! It'll be about 35 minutes from campus (not including the dreaded traffic into Hartford), and hopefully I'll get a field placement within reasonable driving distance. I haven't looked at the new campus yet- is it really super unfinished? That doesn't bode well... 

Hi everyone! My name is Tara and I'm a current BC student who applied to Simmons and is waiting to hear back, and is about to apply to BC. I'm from NY and got into Fordham today (with minimal aid) and am waiting to hear back from Hunter.

Right now, Hunter is my top choice! I really like BC (since I'm an undergrad here, it would be really familiar) and Simmons, but my decision would really depend on financial aid/scholarships.

Is there anyone else on this thread getting an MSW right from undergrad? Does anyone happen to know more about aid at Fordham as well? I only got $2,000 per year.

Thanks!

-Tara :)

9 minutes ago, taracot said:

Hi everyone! My name is Tara and I'm a current BC student who applied to Simmons and is waiting to hear back, and is about to apply to BC. I'm from NY and got into Fordham today (with minimal aid) and am waiting to hear back from Hunter.

Right now, Hunter is my top choice! I really like BC (since I'm an undergrad here, it would be really familiar) and Simmons, but my decision would really depend on financial aid/scholarships.

Is there anyone else on this thread getting an MSW right from undergrad? Does anyone happen to know more about aid at Fordham as well? I only got $2,000 per year.

Thanks!

-Tara :)

I'm applying right from undergrad as well. So far, I'm having trouble with being able to stomach how much money it's going to cost me! I got into both BC and Simmons, but not with enough aid from either.

6 minutes ago, HaleyWantstobeaTherapist said:

I'm applying right from undergrad as well. So far, I'm having trouble with being able to stomach how much money it's going to cost me! I got into both BC and Simmons, but not with enough aid from either.

I'm having trouble with it as well. I'll already have loans from undergrad, so I want to minimize debt as much as possible. I'm kind of wishing I had better guidance on finding programs with good aid, I pretty much applied on my own. 

1 hour ago, taracot said:

I'm having trouble with it as well. I'll already have loans from undergrad, so I want to minimize debt as much as possible. I'm kind of wishing I had better guidance on finding programs with good aid, I pretty much applied on my own. 

I'm looking only at programs in the Boston area and I've been pretty impressed by Salem State's program. From everything I've read, the placements are the same as BC/Simmons/other local program students and the cost is a lot less. I got a really good scholarship offer from Wheelock last night in the mail but it still doesn't make up the difference in cost vs SSU. I think they accept applications later than other programs too. 

48 minutes ago, Amanda87 said:

I'm looking only at programs in the Boston area and I've been pretty impressed by Salem State's program. From everything I've read, the placements are the same as BC/Simmons/other local program students and the cost is a lot less. I got a really good scholarship offer from Wheelock last night in the mail but it still doesn't make up the difference in cost vs SSU. I think they accept applications later than other programs too. 

That's good to know! I'm not a Mass resident, but I can look into Salem State. I don't know much about the area, though. I applied to schools in cities because I don't have my license (hopefully I will soon, but I wouldn't have a car). Salem State seems like a good match for you!

17 minutes ago, taracot said:

That's good to know! I'm not a Mass resident, but I can look into Salem State. I don't know much about the area, though. I applied to schools in cities because I don't have my license (hopefully I will soon, but I wouldn't have a car). Salem State seems like a good match for you!

Thanks! I will have a car, but I plan to not drive to anything related to school. There are bus routes that go to Salem, so you can get to Boston that way. There is also a commuter rail that's really nice (I rode it when I visited), but it would be really expensive to take every day. You can get a T pass (excluding commuter rails) and buses for unlimited use for about $80 a month. It's normally $85, but college students get around a 10% discount! 

I'm not a MA resident either, so I'll be figuring everything out once I'm there!! 

On 2/14/2017 at 0:03 AM, bquinn said:

I'll be commuting from Springfield- my husband and I are buying a house there in just over a month! It'll be about 35 minutes from campus (not including the dreaded traffic into Hartford), and hopefully I'll get a field placement within reasonable driving distance. I haven't looked at the new campus yet- is it really super unfinished? That doesn't bode well... 

That's a pretty good commute, but yeah, traffic into Hartford is a holy terror from 7:00AM-10:00AM and 4:00PM-6:00PM (with a minor spike at 12:00pm and 3:00pm).  I passed by the campus about a month ago and the building didn't look done at all.  I'm hoping that they have it done by August because it'll suck to get familiar with the West Hartford campus and then have to get acclimated to a new campus.

2 hours ago, taracot said:

One of my pros for Boston College is that I won't need a car to get around.  I also don't have my license (working on it now) and would relish not driving as I'm not too fond of it. However, if I go to UConn, I'll definitely need a car.

2 hours ago, alisham said:

That's a pretty good commute, but yeah, traffic into Hartford is a holy terror from 7:00AM-10:00AM and 4:00PM-6:00PM (with a minor spike at 12:00pm and 3:00pm).  I passed by the campus about a month ago and the building didn't look done at all.  I'm hoping that they have it done by August because it'll suck to get familiar with the West Hartford campus and then have to get acclimated to a new campus.

One of my pros for Boston College is that I won't need a car to get around.  I also don't have my license (working on it now) and would relish not driving as I'm not too fond of it. However, if I go to UConn, I'll definitely need a car.

I'm not fond of driving either. And yup, as an undergrad student, I can tell you don't need a car here - BC has a shuttle to the D line which is much faster than taking the B line (the stop near campus). And if you want to live near campus, you can take the T to get groceries, etc.

On 2/9/2017 at 8:06 AM, 12sliders said:

Hi!

I've only heard back from Fordham thus far and was accepted too. Congrats on your acceptance!!

Congratulations to you too!!! Have you heard anything from the other schools ? I'm so nervous. Fordham is my backup school. I worry that I might need to hold my spot just in case. Ugh 

8 hours ago, Gee_ said:

Congratulations to you too!!! Have you heard anything from the other schools ? I'm so nervous. Fordham is my backup school. I worry that I might need to hold my spot just in case. Ugh 

Thank you!!! No, I have not yet heard from the other schools I've applied to. Which others schools have you submitted an application to?

3 hours ago, 12sliders said:

Thank you!!! No, I have not yet heard from the other schools I've applied to. Which others schools have you submitted an application to?

I applied to three. Hunter, Fordham, & Stony Brook. Last minute I decided not to go for NYU. My applications were submitted mid January. The waiting game is just..... too much. 

What are your thoughts about Fordham?

7 hours ago, Gee_ said:

I applied to three. Hunter, Fordham, & Stony Brook. Last minute I decided not to go for NYU. My applications were submitted mid January. The waiting game is just..... too much. 

What are your thoughts about Fordham?

I like that Fordham focuses on the social justice aspect. Everyone I've dealt with thus far has been very informative. I know, the waiting game is killing me too.

I also applied to Hunter but have not heard anything back yet.

I've applied to CA schools as well and was told I will know the decision by mid-late March. I asked Fordham for an extension, waiting to hear back.

How about you??

2 hours ago, 12sliders said:

I like that Fordham focuses on the social justice aspect. Everyone I've dealt with thus far has been very informative. I know, the waiting game is killing me too.

I also applied to Hunter but have not heard anything back yet.

I've applied to CA schools as well and was told I will know the decision by mid-late March. I asked Fordham for an extension, waiting to hear back.

How about you??

I will contacting Fordham about an extension as well. I only applied to NYC schools. Well, let's hope we hear from them soon. Best of luck!