Fall 2017 Applicants

fbuggey93

4 hours ago, lunabathory said:

Jumping on the bandwagon for solidarity in this anxious time haha. 

I applied to NYU, Columbia, and Berkeley in the U. S. and social work or similar programs at the  University of Gothenburg and Lund University in Sweden and the University of Geneva. 

I was admitted to NYU last week but am anxiously awaiting the others. It looks like the earliest acceptances from my other schools are usually mid February? So I'm dying haha. 

So cool that you applied to international programs! Are you interested in macro/international social work?

3 hours ago, bquinn said:

So cool that you applied to international programs! Are you interested in macro/international social work?

Thank you! I want to focus on international sexual wellness and sexual violence prevention. 

I spent last year working with women accused of witchcraft accusations in Ghana and it cemented my desire to work on an international capacity. 

Unrelated, I got accepted to Columbia today! So that's one less school to anxiously fret about haha. 

10 hours ago, lunabathory said:

Thank you! I want to focus on international sexual wellness and sexual violence prevention. 

I spent last year working with women accused of witchcraft accusations in Ghana and it cemented my desire to work on an international capacity. 

Unrelated, I got accepted to Columbia today! So that's one less school to anxiously fret about haha. 

This is awesome! I want to focus on helping women who have been victims of domestic and sexual violence. Best of luck to you! 

So I got my first acceptance yesterday, for which I was thrilled because now I know I will be moving to Boston (or Salem)...but now I'm incredibly anxious to hear back from the other schools. Yesterday I was much more at ease, but now I'm checking my email every 10 minutes (which is ridiculous). Ah! 

Just an FYI to folks, I called UConn and the woman I spoke with said that given my application date (1/3) and completed date (1/5), I could hear back as early as next week! She said they hope to get all decisions out by mid-March. Hopefully this helps someone else out there!

10 minutes ago, bquinn said:

Just an FYI to folks, I called UConn and the woman I spoke with said that given my application date (1/3) and completed date (1/5), I could hear back as early as next week! She said they hope to get all decisions out by mid-March. Hopefully this helps someone else out there!

Thanks for this! My application was marked complete a week after yours, so hopefully I'll hear in about two weeks.

14 hours ago, lunabathory said:

Congrats!!

Got accepted into Ohio State last night. I haven't gotten the acceptance email yet but my status online has changed from pending to accepted. Big stress relief for me since due to my wife's job, i can't relocate easily so Ohio State was my top choice for the area  

As it turns out, they review the apps as they receive them, even when stuff is missing. I submitted my app in November but my last LOR didn't come in until just this past weekend. Took them 2 days to accept me (not counting weekend) from the time they got my last letter. 

4 minutes ago, Chumado said:

Got accepted into Ohio State last night. I haven't gotten the acceptance email yet but my status online has changed from pending to accepted. Big stress relief for me since due to my wife's job, i can't relocate easily so Ohio State was my top choice for the area  

As it turns out, they review the apps as they receive them, even when stuff is missing. I submitted my app in November but my last LOR didn't come in until just this past weekend. Took them 2 days to accept me (not counting weekend) from the time they got my last letter. 

Awesome! Congratulations :)

6 hours ago, Amanda87 said:

Awesome! Congratulations :)

6 hours ago, Chumado said:

Congrats!!!

I've been silently stalking this website for a while, but waiting to hear back is driving me crazy so I figured I would post... 

I only applied to 2 schools, UW Seattle and Berkeley. Kind of wishing I would have applied to a school that was a little easier to get into that I would have heard from earlier from somewhere! March seems so far away! 

Congrats to everyone who heard back from their schools already!!!

Edited by KaylaJay

2 hours ago, KaylaJay said:

I've been silently stalking this website for a while, but waiting to hear back is driving me crazy so I figured I would post... 

I only applied to 2 schools, UW Seattle and Berkeley. Kind of wishing I would have applied to a school that was a little easier to get into that I would have heard from earlier from somewhere! March seems so far away! 

Congrats to everyone who heard back from their schools already!!!

Waiting has been terrible! I got my first admission notification from my 3rd choice school (of 3) so now I'm even more anxious about the other two!

4 hours ago, 12sliders said:

Do you know which track you will be doing?

I'm thinking either AGPP or Policy, and probably Contemporary Social Issues. I want to work with the LGBT community but I'm also interested in working on broad systemic macro change. So I'm gonna talk to the counselors and explore my options before I decide for sure. How about you??

Hey y'all! I've been lurking on this thread for a while now, so I thought I'd go ahead and post and introduce myself :) I've applied to three schools - University of Michigan, University of Denver (dual degree international studies and social work), and Boston College. I'm hoping to focus on global social work, my goal is ultimately working with immigrants and refugees in the United States! Been accepted to Michigan and Denver, still waiting on Boston. Top choice is Michigan but we'll see if funding works out - hoping I get accepted to my special program (global activities) or get a GSSA position, because my financial aid is a bit lacking otherwise. 

13 minutes ago, hanndema said:

Hey y'all! I've been lurking on this thread for a while now, so I thought I'd go ahead and post and introduce myself :) I've applied to three schools - University of Michigan, University of Denver (dual degree international studies and social work), and Boston College. I'm hoping to focus on global social work, my goal is ultimately working with immigrants and refugees in the United States! Been accepted to Michigan and Denver, still waiting on Boston. Top choice is Michigan but we'll see if funding works out - hoping I get accepted to my special program (global activities) or get a GSSA position, because my financial aid is a bit lacking otherwise. 

Hey! I'm applying to BC too. I'm still waiting to hear from them, but I know they weren't going to start reviewing applications until this month anyway. Good luck!