Apply to programs or wait it out (Seeking Advice)

psyched_trojan2015

Hey everyone!

It's time to take the next steps in my journey of going into social work. I graduated from university recently in 2015, where I worked as a tech for a private substance abuse detox facility for about 5 months. I liked the job, but I worked awful hours that interfered with my schedule. Just recently in May, I got a position as a Case Manager, where I've been at for about 4 months now. I work with homeless individuals at a recup center, connecting them primarily with housing resources. 

Here's the deal. I've been getting burnt out due to the nature of my work experiences. I've worked part-time/full-time at residential treatment centers all throughout undergrad. I've already felt burnt out all throughout undergrad and never got a vacation or got to travel anywhere to celebrate. I regret not taking the decision to study abroad as an undergrad. Anyway, I plan to stay with the recup center job for a year, before taking a month vacation. By then, I'll have a new position waiting for me once I return, so I feel secure knowing that I have a safety net.

But my question is: should I wait it out a little longer, gain more work experience, grow up a little more before applying? Or, should I just go for it and apply for Fall 2017 admissions? I'm torn because of my GPA senior year. My overall grades are not bad (3.43), but it fluctuates; freshmen year averaged at 3.73, sophomore year 3.50, junior year 3.93, senior year 2.86. I struggled with grades because I was experiencing a lot of ups and downs. The breakdowns became recurrent until I sought for help and got my life back together. Because of this drastic fluctuation in GPA, I was thinking of working for awhile in the "real world," for about 3-5 years before going to grad school. What's the rush, right? 

However, the thought of going back to school is kind of nice. I do miss learning new things in a classroom environment. However, I feel like I'm better off getting more experience in the field. I do have opportunity right now in getting more exposure in case management. It will be perfect experience for grad school. I'm kind of torn. Your thoughts?

If you miss having any breaks or vacations, maybe don't start grad school yet. If its possible later, you could take that month long vacation first to decide what you need right now?

Good luck. I'm 3 years out of undergrad now, its a difficult decision to leave the work force, I'm also concerned life will catch up to me and I wont have the time for grad school if I wait much longer.  

I've been out of school for five years, which is too long in my opinion. This is when you realize that additional years of work don't add much to your learning or grad school profile, and you won't move upwards without a higher degree. At least I feel that way in my field. After these many years, I am also feeling like I won't get a master's before I hit 30, which is a bit of a bummer.

So, in sum, my point is to keep the larger picture in mind beyond the logistics of your current situation. Dealing with burnout is important, and while you plan around it, I would try not to let my current experience of burnout affect my long-term prospects.

Three years of work experience is a good time to start planning for grad school. You'll have had four years by the time you start school anyway.

Hope this helps.