School Psychology Fall 2017

Schoolpsych17

17 hours ago, transfatfree said:

When I applied last year funding was quite bad for both because of state-wide budget cut. Madison is still a bigger name and I've heard bad things about Milwaukee and was advised against applying to it because of lack of organization and faculty members.

Would you mind elaborating a bit more about the bad things you've heard about the Milwaukee program? Thanks!

9 hours ago, Luccarose said:

Trying to decide between Northeastern and Worcester State. Anybody know if either program is better than the other? Or have any advice....

I believe it depends on your goals and priorities.

Northeastern provides different concentrations so if you're interested in becoming a BCBA along the way, you can choose their ABA concentration. Other than that you can become an NCSP after completing either program. Worcester State didn't provide data to NASP this year. Otherwise you could also compare other information such as cohort size, PRAXIS passing rate etc. You can certainly ask Worcester State for the info.

You may also consider where you want to work in the future. While being an NCSP gives you mobility, many school psychologists choose to find a position in the nearby areas. 

Attending Northeastern also means higher COA. Whether you're willing to take on more debt is a personal choice.

On 3/22/2017 at 2:26 PM, sarahbee said:

Has anyone heard back about the masters school psych program at Columbia?

thanks!

I think they have an in-person interview last Wednesday?

ps. I am an international student

On 3/28/2017 at 2:34 PM, PsychologicalA said:

Anyone hear from Brooklyn College or Queens College? Any insight into the format of the interviews would be appreciated too. :)

I am waiting to hear back from Brooklyn College. Already heard from Queens College and did the interview.

Edited by oppositeofdiffident

I have been waiting a bit to commit to my likely PhD program since I am still on the waitlist for 1 other program (great program with nomso great funding). I have declined other offers but haven't made the final commitment to be likely choice. I have been given general funding information from my likely choice but they do not have information on GA positions yet which I am really hoping for. I have also applied for a special fellowship tied to the program. Does anyone have any thoughts regarding pros/cons of committing to the program while waiting since it is very likely that it is where I will end up? Of course, I realize I have until 4/15 but want to be fair to everyone and do what's right for myself and all others involved. 

On 3/31/2017 at 9:49 PM, AuntieGrandma said:

I have been waiting a bit to commit to my likely PhD program since I am still on the waitlist for 1 other program (great program with nomso great funding). I have declined other offers but haven't made the final commitment to be likely choice. I have been given general funding information from my likely choice but they do not have information on GA positions yet which I am really hoping for. I have also applied for a special fellowship tied to the program. Does anyone have any thoughts regarding pros/cons of committing to the program while waiting since it is very likely that it is where I will end up? Of course, I realize I have until 4/15 but want to be fair to everyone and do what's right for myself and all others involved. 

I have accepted the University of Arizona's School Psychology PhD program offer. So happy to have it settled and I did get the additional Fellowship!

Got my rejection email from FSU. I half expected this would be the case when they refused to accommodate my needs for an interview as I served my time over in South Africa. Still blows to see that official rejection. Still hoping to get off the wait list for South Florida and University of Florida. 

• 2 years later...

I am a current first year EdS student at The University of Denver and the program is pretty terrible. During my application process last year I couldn't find really any info on school psych programs and wish I knew what I do now, so just wanted to pay it forward! Your cohort at DU will be over 50 people (they tell you it will be super small, 25-30), everything is EXTREMELY disorganized and communication within the classes and just among the program is horrible. The clinic supervisor Dr. Reinhardt just left because the school was asking her to supervise the clinic 30 hours a week in addition to teaching a full course load and did not pay her accordingly or look into hiring someone else. I think she's going to be a professor at a school in Pennsylvania. The assessment professor (the most important classes you'll take) is also no longer teaching here as of this summer, which is also a huge loss. In my opinion, these were the 2 best profs in the program and they aren't going to be teaching here anymore. They also make you find a field placement for your second year and since there are almost 60 people in my cohort, it was extremely hard finding a school placement- most people are driving 30-45 minutes, and we are not guaranteed secondary experience (middle and high school) which is a huge downside. DU is also very expensive and really not worth the money. If I could do it over again, I would have chosen Tufts, Northeastern or UC San Diego. If you have Q lemme know!