BU slp student in first year - in case anyone had any questions

Hello!! First, thanks a ton for answering some questions. My first question is what were your stats for getting into BU? I know this is a bit direct, but still helpful! Also, whats your opinion on BU's financial aid / scholarships? How's the feel of the program so far? Why'd you decide on BU? 

On 9/13/2016 at 4:21 PM, futureSpeechLP said:

First off... Congrats!!! Have a great first year :)

What did you do the summer before classes? Did you prepare at all, work, chill? All the above?

hey, thank you!

i got  summer research studentship at a kids rehab hospital over the summer and it was an absolute blast!

i also did an online course (one of the pre reqs I was missing). if i knew i had to do one extra course in the fall i would have taken it online as well, but i didnt know. 

i spent 2 last weeks in august preparing to move and such. i also got lucky as I had weekend plans lined up for august so i did all my relaxing on the weekends and the weeks i packed and sorted all my paperwork. 

i also reviewed my IPA, since youre gonna need it in your first placement 

1 hour ago, joyannna said:

Hello!! First, thanks a ton for answering some questions. My first question is what were your stats for getting into BU? I know this is a bit direct, but still helpful! Also, whats your opinion on BU's financial aid / scholarships? How's the feel of the program so far? Why'd you decide on BU? 

hey, 

my stats are all listed in my signature for your browsing pleasure :)

BU has some aid/scholarships which are only awarded at the time of admission. so if you didnt get it then, youre kinda out of luck. however you can always apply for FAFSA or your country's aid as well. 

the program is absolutely amazing. every professor i have met so far exudes absolute knowledge on their respective subject. theyre all so keen on helping us with everything, school, assignments, becoming better clinicians, etc. its absolutely amazing. the program really makes us feel like home. i know my roommate agrees with me; she loves that the teachers are interested in helping you understand the subject matter rather than worrying about the bellcurves and making hard exams just to lower grades. the program is small and everyone's close and it really feels like a big Sargent family! 

i chose the program because im continuing on to my PhD after the clinical masters and BU is one of the best research universities in the states. they also have a very diverse selection of research labs, amazing funding and opportunities, and theyre very happy to have student continue to do a thesis. not to mention theyre located in boston, greatest city in the country (second being NYC in my humble opinion :P).

i chose based on what I wanted to get out of the program as well as location. so i loved that i would live in boston but then i also considered the fact that they have some like 200 affiliations? or maybe even more? they also have a customized program plan for clinical placements. and what i mean by that if there is a specific population you wanna work with, and i mean like super specific, then they will get you in that placement so you can work with that population. the program is highly individualized and centered around your goals and wants as a student and future clinician. everyone's working around the clock to make YOUR experience awesome. i want to work in a childrens hospital and boston is a hub of hospitals, medical centers, etc. and i knew for sure that i wanted to do a placement at boston childrens. 

so overall, it was a no brainer that this program was absolutely the best choice for me. it was my first choice in the states as well!

I hope this helps, but feel free to ask specific questions or clarification on anything at all

cheers

On 9/17/2016 at 8:32 AM, OverCaffeinated said:

hey, thank you!

i got  summer research studentship at a kids rehab hospital over the summer and it was an absolute blast!

i also did an online course (one of the pre reqs I was missing). if i knew i had to do one extra course in the fall i would have taken it online as well, but i didnt know. 

i spent 2 last weeks in august preparing to move and such. i also got lucky as I had weekend plans lined up for august so i did all my relaxing on the weekends and the weeks i packed and sorted all my paperwork. 

i also reviewed my IPA, since youre gonna need it in your first placement 

Sounds like you had a great summer! I look forward to learning more about your progress in grad school.

• 2 years later...
On 9/13/2016 at 2:28 PM, OverCaffeinated said:

hey guys, 

im gonna do one of these at the end too, but feel free to ask about the application process or bu or whatever. always happy to help

cheers 

Hello,

I know I'm digging up an old post here. But I was wondering what is the BU interview like? And what are the chances of getting in once you're invited to the interview?? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2019 at 9:48 AM, AliceWang said:

Hello,

I know I'm digging up an old post here. But I was wondering what is the BU interview like? And what are the chances of getting in once you're invited to the interview?? 

I have the same question as well! Which day are you interviewing?

2 hours ago, Carlyfish said:

I have the same question as well! Which day are you interviewing?

I'm curious too! I'm interviewing Friday and trying to prep with general interview questions I found online but I'm very nervous. BU is one of my top choices, if I get in and can figure out a way to afford it. 

Hi!! I'm in a weird undergraduate program where it sort of covers the SLP program prereqs, but not perfectly. As in I have to take anatomy and physiology of speech and hearing and speech science over summer. What was your undergrad degree in? Did you do a post-bac? I'm just in a weird limbo where I think I'm good but also could very well not be good.

Also, do you know if the interviews on Skype are Boston time or California time?

On 2/19/2019 at 8:41 PM, Laurenf131 said:

I'm curious too! I'm interviewing Friday and trying to prep with general interview questions I found online but I'm very nervous. BU is one of my top choices, if I get in and can figure out a way to afford it. 

How was it?! Mines tomorrow I’m so nervous 

19 hours ago, Carlyfish said:

How was it?! Mines tomorrow I’m so nervous 

Not too bad! The professors who interviewed me were very nice and they ask more personality type questions than anything. Nothing technical. I am hoping I did well enough to get in but we'll see.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I know I'm a bit late to joining this forum, but I'm choosing between BU and TC Columbia. I received a scholarship at both schools and both cities are very enticing to me (especially since I'm from California). I know BU is ranked higher than Columbia, but Columbia has options for bilingual certification (and it seems the focus is really more on bilingualism, something I'm very interested in). Does anyone have any insight into one school over the other?

I'm going to second the question above about BU v. TC. I'm between MGH v. TC at the moment and want to go medical. I'm not bilingual, so that focus from TC doesn't apply to me.