Cal State Universities MSW Applicants Thread

BackNSchool83

10 hours ago, Jax_Nise said:

Hi everyone,

Congratulations on your acceptances! I am a current MSW 3 year student at CSULB. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

:D

Hi @Jax_Nise what were your stats? I am currently waiting on a decision for the 3 year MSW program at CSULB. Thank you

22 minutes ago, sjimenez67 said:

Hi @Jax_Nise what were your stats? I am currently waiting on a decision for the 3 year MSW program at CSULB. Thank you

Hi sjimenez67,

My stats are based on when I applied for the program for fall 2015 admissions. It is noteworthy that I am a traditional college student, meaning that I went to university straight out of high school. 

Degree: Africana Studies from CSUDH, 2014

GPA: 3.9

Experience: 

-Community Organizer (2 years)

-Office Assistant (Campus internship, 10 months)

-In home supportive services (care coordinator, 5 years)

-Suicide Crisis Line Counselor (1 year)

Submission information:

-November 20, 2014- submitted application

-November 25, 2014- Received application

-January 29, 2015- Offered Admissions

4 minutes ago, Jax_Nise said:

Hi sjimenez67,

My stats are based on when I applied for the program for fall 2015 admissions. It is noteworthy that I am a traditional college student, meaning that I went to university straight out of high school. 

Degree: Africana Studies from CSUDH, 2014

GPA: 3.9

Experience: 

-Community Organizer (2 years)

-Office Assistant (Campus internship, 10 months)

-In home supportive services (care coordinator, 5 years)

-Suicide Crisis Line Counselor (1 year)

Submission information:

-November 20, 2014- submitted application

-November 25, 2014- Received application

-January 29, 2015- Offered Admissions

Awesome @Jax_Nise I'm graduating this May from CSUDH with a 3.7 in Human Services. I don't have as much experience as you, but hope I get in (fingers crossed). I turned in my packet on the last day?how do you like the program so far?

Hello everyone,

I've applied to SJSU and currently waiting on decision for the MSW program.

I was wondering if anyone knows if the department of CSU's sends emails to those who weren't accepted of we have to figure it out for ourselves.

thanks!

6 hours ago, sjimenez67 said:

Awesome @Jax_Nise I'm graduating this May from CSUDH with a 3.7 in Human Services. I don't have as much experience as you, but hope I get in (fingers crossed). I turned in my packet on the last day?how do you like the program so far?

Congratulations on graduation (Go Toros)! I hope that you get in. A strong application is based on multiple factors (personal statement, GPA, social work related experience, and overall experience). I felt the same way when I applied. I thought I did not have enough experience.

So far, I love the program. Some of the professors are amazing. They can be challenging but it is for the benefit of your education. My number one suggestion for the program is to create a community within your cohort of people you can work with and bond with (Example: In my cohort there were 100 students enrolled. There are about 15 of us that stick together and constantly check in on one another. Of course we communicate with all members of the cohort). It is this group of people that will support you through the 3 years. 

On 2/5/2017 at 10:22 PM, weshh said:

Well, I'm wondering if there is an assortment of field placement options available in the area? Also wondering if there are sites that could contribute towards accruing LCSW hours post graduation?

I'd  like to know your/their opinion on the quality of the program?

Did you/your friends gain experience in the field working with the native american population? If so, what was their experience like?

Lastly, did you like Humboldt or feel like the rural nature of the area would be too limiting for a social worker?

There are a lot of different placements. Working in schools, with the elderly, homeless population, etc. From what I know I think it depends on the site with accruing LCSW hours.

I had a friend that completed their 1 year program. she enjoyed it but didn't feel fully prepared when she graduated. She said that the county mostly offered field placements for people that had gotten stipends. Tribes also offered placements as well. She said everyone else had to find a LCSW that was willing to help. Basically if you didn't have a stipend you had a lot of options. 

I know when I got my BSW I felt like the rural area wasn't exactly limiting but in a more populated area there would just be more opportunities. 

There's pros and cons with going to humboldt, rent is cheap but it's very rural.

On 2/22/2017 at 11:30 PM, dn4848 said:

I stalked this website so much I gotta give back...

Applied to: CSUSM, CSULB, CAL STATE LA, CSUDH for the 2yr program.  Mailed applications around the first week of December.

Background: transferred from a JC and graduated from Boise State with a B.S. in psychology.  I have a 3.1 GPA (gave an explanation that I was a student athlete a reformed lazy student in my essays).  I have 3 years experience working at a level 14 treatment facility, and almost 2 years as a mental health case manager for a community clinic (informing people of basic resources). I had some solid letters of recommendations from coworkers but the academic letter was a stretch (resourcefully used a past coach).

I received emails from CSUDH (02/02/17) and CSULB (02/20/17) notifying me of my acceptance.  I haven't heard anything from Cal State LA and only heard back from San Marcos to resolve an error on my transcript.

Goodluck to all of you.  Hope this helps. 

Have you heard from CSU San Marcos yet? I called them about a month ago and they told me I would hear back around the beginning of March. I contacted them a couple days ago and they said now that I won't hear until the end of March.

I applied last minute and forgot to put a transcript in for a community college I took a summer class at. They pulled me out of the priority pool which sucks but when I spoke to them a couple of days ago they said that they were looking now at people who applied that weren't in the priority pool.

On 2/5/2017 at 10:22 PM, weshh said:

Well, I'm wondering if there is an assortment of field placement options available in the area? Also wondering if there are sites that could contribute towards accruing LCSW hours post graduation?

I'd  like to know your/their opinion on the quality of the program?

Did you/your friends gain experience in the field working with the native american population? If so, what was their experience like?

Lastly, did you like Humboldt or feel like the rural nature of the area would be too limiting for a social worker?

My other friend who is currently in their 2 year program replied as well.

She said: No you can't apply for your ASW number until you have a MSW degree so you can't get hours. I think that because I want to do ICWA Bear River was for me. I think that what you learn in rural areas and working with indigenous peoples will be able to be used when working with any POC or other vulnerable populations. Working and attending a school who's focus is exactly that is very rare in the SW arena and a privilege for us who do get to do that.

On 3/11/2017 at 11:07 AM, Catlover133 said:

Have you heard from CSU San Marcos yet? I called them about a month ago and they told me I would hear back around the beginning of March. I contacted them a couple days ago and they said now that I won't hear until the end of March.

I applied last minute and forgot to put a transcript in for a community college I took a summer class at. They pulled me out of the priority pool which sucks but when I spoke to them a couple of days ago they said that they were looking now at people who applied that weren't in the priority pool.

I just received an acceptance letter from San Marcos end of last week.  Prior to this (about a month ago) I called Marcos and was told they expect to issue acceptance letters mid-March.  If I were you I would call by Wednesday if you don't hear back by then.  

Hope you get in.  

15 hours ago, dn4848 said:

I just received an acceptance letter from San Marcos end of last week.  Prior to this (about a month ago) I called Marcos and was told they expect to issue acceptance letters mid-March.  If I were you I would call by Wednesday if you don't hear back by then.  

Hope you get in.  

I just e-mailed them and they said I would hear by the end of the month. I feel like that's not a good sign :/

Hi there,first time posting but I thought I'd let some of you know who are anxiously waiting for answers.... 

I applied to the part-time 3 year MSW programs at CSUSB, CSUSM and CSUF. 

I have heard back from CSUSB and got in to their 3 year part time program. I received my acceptance letter from them on March 9th. 

I haven't heard anything back from CSUSM or CSUF. I called San Marcos today and they said my application is in Faculty Review and they could not give me a timeline as to when I would get it back. San Marcos is my top choice but I will love to go to CSU- San Bernardino! I did not realize the Fullerton part-time program was at the Irvine campus and that is way too far for me, so I don't really care much about the acceptance. They did say they interview all potential applicants and I have not received a phone call for an interview so I don't think I got in anyways. 

My Stats:

GPA: 3.2 (Pretty much this average the entire time I was in school, I got an A- in abnormal Psych and my Advanced Seminar but really just got a lot of Bs)

200 hours with Big Brothers Big Sisters and 200 hours as an intern and Wish Granter with Make-a-Wish.

3 Letters of rec from an academic professor (English, A), and my supervisors from BBBS and Make-a-Wish.

Personal Statement was super unique so that was my main hitter. 

Hi folks,

I just received my acceptance packet from Cal State LA by mail. I applied a few days before the deadline; my stats: UCLA Psych undergrad, GPA 3.74, research experience in a couple different labs including full-time RA, as well as clinical experience with children on the spectrum. I also applied at the same time to CSU Long Beach but I haven't heard back yet - when I called, they said to give 8 weeks from the time you submitted before expecting a response. Anybody else who applied in late January heard from Long Beach yet? And also, any insights to how Long Beach and LA's programs compare? 

Cheers! 

On 3/15/2017 at 4:33 PM, sandracolibri said:

Hi there,first time posting but I thought I'd let some of you know who are anxiously waiting for answers.... 

I applied to the part-time 3 year MSW programs at CSUSB, CSUSM and CSUF. 

I have heard back from CSUSB and got in to their 3 year part time program. I received my acceptance letter from them on March 9th. 

I haven't heard anything back from CSUSM or CSUF. I called San Marcos today and they said my application is in Faculty Review and they could not give me a timeline as to when I would get it back. San Marcos is my top choice but I will love to go to CSU- San Bernardino! I did not realize the Fullerton part-time program was at the Irvine campus and that is way too far for me, so I don't really care much about the acceptance. They did say they interview all potential applicants and I have not received a phone call for an interview so I don't think I got in anyways. 

My Stats:

GPA: 3.2 (Pretty much this average the entire time I was in school, I got an A- in abnormal Psych and my Advanced Seminar but really just got a lot of Bs)

200 hours with Big Brothers Big Sisters and 200 hours as an intern and Wish Granter with Make-a-Wish.

3 Letters of rec from an academic professor (English, A), and my supervisors from BBBS and Make-a-Wish.

Personal Statement was super unique so that was my main hitter. 

If you get into CSUSM let me know, that's where I applied

23 hours ago, Nostromo said:

Hi folks,

I just received my acceptance packet from Cal State LA by mail. I applied a few days before the deadline; my stats: UCLA Psych undergrad, GPA 3.74, research experience in a couple different labs including full-time RA, as well as clinical experience with children on the spectrum. I also applied at the same time to CSU Long Beach but I haven't heard back yet - when I called, they said to give 8 weeks from the time you submitted before expecting a response. Anybody else who applied in late January heard from Long Beach yet? And also, any insights to how Long Beach and LA's programs compare? 

Cheers! 

Hey Nostromo, congratulations on CSULA! I feel like we're kind of in the same boat , i'm a UCI psych grad, 3.7 GPA, a little clinical experience as well, and I also applied to CSULB a few days before the deadline haha. I called them about 2 week ago and they told me the same thing about 8 weeks, but that would have meant we would have heard a week ago from them so i'm not entirely sure when we'll hear back unfortunately.

As far as the programs go CSULA's program technically is ranked #64 on USNews and CSULB is ranked #78, not that big of a difference but I believe CSULB is more impacted and more applied to and i have no idea experience-wise but i'm sure whatever you chose will be a good choice!

Hi everyone! I have been following this thread for a while and thought I should post my experience with CSUF for anyone else who is going in for an interview! (I also applied to CSULB). 

I got an email to come in for an interview on a date that I had prior travel plans so I asked if they could reschedule the interview which they were more than willing! Great communication and very understanding. On March 16th I had my interview and it went well! It was a panel interview with Marcella Mendez and Kelly Segovia where both provided detailed information about the program. They asked questions such as "why do you want to do social work?", "where do you see yourself in 5 years?", "what population would be the hardest for you to work with?", asked how I would handle the rigorous program, and if I had any questions. They like it when you know exactly what you want to do with your career too. They also ask questions such as if you have reliable transportation and are willing to have a background check. It was an amazing experience and they offered admission the next day! However, as much as I loved the school and the interview I am going to commit to CSULB. 

I know that future MSW students at CSUF will have excellent support from both staff and cohort! I wish the best of luck to anyone who is going in for an interview and hope this helps! ?

Hello everyone, 

I also recently received an acceptance  letter from CSULA  and I am so excited!! However,  I am still waiting to hear back from CSULB. I submitted my application on January 13th and I am anxiously waiting for a response... 

Wish all of you the best :)

Hello,

I received acceptance from Azusa Pacific University and Cal State LA.  I am still waiting to hear from Cal State San Bernardino Pathways program.  Has anyone heard back from CSUSB?

Thanks and Congrats to everyone!!!

Dana

Did anyone else get put on PENDING status for the CSULB MSW program? 

if so, have you heard any news yet?

Application Timeline:

Applied : Nov 29th

Received email of complete application : Dec 19th

Received PENDING Status Email : March 20th

Thanks and good luck to everyone :)

3 hours ago, Troysmom0409 said:

Hello,

I received acceptance from Azusa Pacific University and Cal State LA.  I am still waiting to hear from Cal State San Bernardino Pathways program.  Has anyone heard back from CSUSB?

Thanks and Congrats to everyone!!!

Dana

Hey! I heard back from CSUSB about 2 weeks ago. I got accepted into their 3-year program!

I applied to CSUSB on 12/27 and haven't heard anything from them about the full time 2-year program.

I also applied to CSUF and SJSU for the full time 2-year programs. Unfortunately due to my then work schedule i couldn't submit my applications until right before the respective deadlines 12/27/16 and 2/1/17. Since i'm assuming everyone that is hearing back from schools right now applied in Oct/Nov., realistically when should I expect to hear back from everyone? May?