Cal State Universities MSW Applicants Thread

BackNSchool83

On 5/23/2017 at 8:50 PM, sjimenez67 said:

@MSWfall2017 congrats!!!! Do you mind sharing your stats?

Thank you!! I am so happy ?

I had a 3.8 cumulative gpa from CSULB in psychology. I have volunteered at a nursing home since high school and currently work at a nursing facility. I have been volunteering at a pantry and a kids club since last spring and also volunteer at a crisis line. 

On 5/25/2017 at 4:01 AM, sophia09791 said:

I got accepted via mail to CSUEB! The letter was dated May 19 and I got it on May 23rd. They gave me 2 weeks to accept or decline their offer so maybe you guys will hear back after that period. 

Congratulations! That's very helpful to know when you got it!

42 minutes ago, Msw2017sjsu said:

I got waitlisted today at sjsu. More waiting for me.

anyone else in the sane situation?

Waitlisted at SJSU today as well. They would not tell me what position I'm in. All this waiting feels worse that being rejected since there is no way to plan my life with this uncertainty.

20 minutes ago, dogz9 said:

Waitlisted at SJSU today as well. They would not tell me what position I'm in. All this waiting feels worse that being rejected since there is no way to plan my life with this uncertainty.

I know. Worst thing is that waitlist might extend through mid August. Was thinking on calling them next week to see what position I'm in but you said they won't tell?

I am waiting to hear from SJSU still. No update on the website, no email, and no phone call. My only hope is that I am not rejected since I have no news at the moment. Anyone else in the same situation? 

On 5/31/2017 at 5:56 PM, dogz9 said:

What program did you apply for?

On 5/24/2017 at 9:19 PM, Southerngrl42 said:

I've heard nothing! My coworker (who also applied) and I have called their office multiple times and have been given a variety of answers. While we've been told to wait for a letter between now and mid-June, another lady had also mentioned that they separated applicants into two groups (Group A vs. Group B ). She stated that they sent out letters to Group A and are waiting for people to accept before sending out Group B letters, and Group B people could be waiting for as long as the first week of the new school year before hearing anything. 

Hi! I called East Bay today and I have some news that's not necessarily ideal. If we haven't already gotten a letter (whether it's an acceptance OR rejection), then it means we've been accepted but are basically put on a waitlist for the time being. They're waiting to see how many they can admit after hearing back from the applicants in the first group and the absolute latest we will hear back from the is the end of July, which is forever from now!

On 5/25/2017 at 4:01 AM, sophia09791 said:

I got accepted via mail to CSUEB! The letter was dated May 19 and I got it on May 23rd. They gave me 2 weeks to accept or decline their offer so maybe you guys will hear back after that period. 

Quick question! How are you being asked to accept or decline their offer? Is it via phone call, mail, or online?

Hey everyone, I've been following this forum religiously and have finally decided to make my contribution. I applied to CSULB, CSULA, CSUN, and CSUF.

I was waitlisted to CSULA back in mid March. I had an interview with CSUN in early may and I was officially rejected from CSULB last week. But am still waiting to hear for any official status updates from CSUF, CSULA, and CSUN. I emailed all 3 schools earlier this week and CSUF responded saying they'd send out letters and notices by the end of the week. CSULA responded letting me know the coordinator was away on vacation and would make final decisions related to those waitlisted by next week, and CSUN still has yet to respond. As of now, I'm under the impression that I'll be receiving rejection letters from all schools but just thought I'd share my experience to anyone else who might be in the same boat. Goodluck to everyone and congrats to everyone who's received acceptance!

On 6/6/2017 at 2:19 PM, steph-vie said:

Hi! I called East Bay today and I have some news that's not necessarily ideal. If we haven't already gotten a letter (whether it's an acceptance OR rejection), then it means we've been accepted but are basically put on a waitlist for the time being. They're waiting to see how many they can admit after hearing back from the applicants in the first group and the absolute latest we will hear back from the is the end of July, which is forever from now!

Though that's new information I'm hearing, it definitely doesn't make me feel any better. Thanks for the update!

@steph-vie Do you know who you spoke with, who gave you this information? I'm wondering if I call the same person, I could hear the same answer to further verify this info that they provided you. Sometimes I feel like they just give a random answer so we quit calling them. 

Edited by Southerngrl42

16 hours ago, Southerngrl42 said:

Though that's new information I'm hearing, it definitely doesn't make me feel any better. Thanks for the update!

@steph-vie Do you know who you spoke with, who gave you this information? I'm wondering if I call the same person, I could hear the same answer to further verify this info that they provided you. Sometimes I feel like they just give a random answer so we quit calling them. 

Honestly, I can't remember what her name is, but when I called, I mentioned what I have read from the forums and she confirmed the two-part admissions groups and denied rumor that some people might not hear back until the week before school. Maybe if you call again, we can see if they confirm that the latest we'll hear back is the end of July? I forgot to ask what the earliest we could hear back from them would be or when the latest date people from the first group can respond to their acceptance is, so it would be a good idea to address those as well. She also couldn't tell me exactly what my ranking on the psuedo-waitlist was, but she gave me the vague estimate of being "right in between," so that wasn't very fun. The amount of time this is taking to find out the final answer is making me anxious and I'm sure you're feeling the same way. Just know you're not alone!

Edited by steph-vie

12 hours ago, Southerngrl42 said:

@steph-vie just letting you know that I received a letter from East Bay. The letter was dated June 9 and I got it today (June 14).... and they did not accept me. Hopefully you hear soon but with better news! 

Aw man, I'm so sorry :| Thank you for letting me know and for helping ease the anxiety through this process, I really appreciate the support and correspondence. I wish you the best of luck in all your endeavors!

So I'm applying for CSU DH, F, LA, LB, and maybe SM. I've looked at the online programs but think I'm gonna skip that. I'm looking to do a part time program though, just prefer classroom instruction. I'm a transfer at UCI majoring in psychology and social behavior. Im also an addiction counselor, or about to be once my current internship is over. That was an extra 45 units and all human services classes that I took concurrently at a community college while going to UCI. I'm hoping that although I have not accrued a ton of hours yet of experience they will still give me a chance. I'll be working part time as a counselor starting in the winter quarter, but that's after the application deadline. I'll have about 6 months FT work as a tech, plus about 350 intern hours counseling and doing case management when I apply, plus be certified through CAADE. I'm in my 30s and have lived experience as well, and have somehow maintained a 4.0. I'm wondering what you think they will say about my experience since so many of you worked for years before going to grad school. How do they review applications in terms of grades? When I applied to UCI I had to send transcripts once at initial application the fall prior to transferring, once after fall was done, and once after spring. Do the CSUs just do one check in fall or track you? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, any insight at all, things you wish you knew etc. I'm applying for the fall 2018 cohort.

Edited by BackNSchool83

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just a smile and the rain is gone Can hardly believe it, yeah. There's an angel standing next to me. Reaching for my heart Just a smile and there's no way back .Can hardly believe it, yeah But there's an angel calling me. Reaching for my heart I know that I'll be okay now. This time, it's real I lay my love on you It's all I wanna do Every time I breathe I feel brand new You open up my heart Show me all your love and walk right through As I lay my love on you. } dumb ways to die } fireboy and watergirl 4

• 1 month later...

Bumping this thread because applications will be opening October 1st, with info sessions kicking off in mid September.

Anyone applying to the CSU system for MSW for the fall 18 cohort, lets stick together and support each other through the process.

• 1 month later...