Advice for a Canadian SLP candidate

Meyers

Hello,

I'm a biochemistry major graduate hoping to apply for a Masters in SLP. My GPA overall is very low, and don't underestimate me when I say VERY LOW. I've been trying to bring it up by taking some pre-req courses and some GPA boosters but I still don't think that will be enough. I've read on the threads that they take the average of your pre-req courses as well as the average your last 20 in order to determine your GPA? I was thinking of applying to Western and U of A for my first time, but I don't know if I'm wasting my time. I'm trying to bring my GPA up to a 3.70 at least, but I feel like even that is not enough and that I'm wasting time and money just upgrading so many courses. Any advice?

Also, I'd like to get involved and do some research with any of my professors in order to increase my chances of getting in. However, I was wondering i could get any advice on how to approach them or what to ask them. As I mentioned, I did biochemistry for most of my undergrad and so I'm scared that because I'm not a linguistics or speech sciences major, I will have difficulty keeping up with their work due to lack of knowledge. 

Thanks!! Any advice is welcomed.