SLP State Teacher Credentialing Requirements

This stuff is incredibly confusing and I may not be 100% right on this. As far as I can tell it isn't about reciprocity. It's listing which states have extra or specialized requirements for licensure in the schools. When you graduate you have a degree and then start a CF. At some point (possibly before the CF? Or when getting your CCCs?) you need to be licensed in the state you are working in and that license may have specific requirements besides the masters'  to work in certain settings. When I went to an open house last year for a program they were adamant about completing certain teaching requirements or you could never work in a school in that state. So it's very dependent on the state and the type of facility. I don't understand fully the licensure stuff yet though my professional class should cover it soon. If you want details on reciprocity I would go to the state by state page on asha linked on your original page about credentials. They may mention whether the state considers reciprocity at all. Regardless to be in a school in many places you may need an additional license of sorts to practice. 

Look at the licensing requirements for the state and service setting in which you want to complete your CFY.  In my state, to complete a CFY in a medical setting, you must have your (temporary) state license prior to starting.  That said, in my state, you must also have a CF supervisor (aka, a job) before you can even apply for your temporary license as the supervisor has to sign part of the application form.  Here, a teacher license is required prior to starting a CFY in a school, but a state license is not needed.  I was required to prove that my application was in processing with the state teacher licensing board within 10 days of starting my CFY.  If I couldn't, I would not have been able to complete my CFY with that employer (and would've been out of a job).

Some states require SLP's who want to work in the public schools to take one or more specific courses as part of either the bachelor's or the master's. Usually it is a SPED course like "Education of Exceptional Students". Mostly the goal I think is to familiarize the school-based SLP with IEP's and the Federal IDEA law.

On September 24, 2016 at 4:19 PM, lexical_gap said:

isabel, I am in Wisconsin.

I am eaves dropping on this convo - but I wanted to quote you because I am actually also from Wisconsin (Go Packers!) :D

Anyways, I decided to do my Master's in Ohio, but am thinking for my last semester I will be coming back to Wisconsin (I've been looking into doing my last semester full internship and CFY in Wisconsin). I do know I want to work in a school as of now.

I have been trying to figure out what the Wisconsin teaching license requirement is, as we are on our own for reporting to our clinic director about the requirements per state. I'm only in my first semester so I have time.  I didn't know if it would  be easier to message you? Just saw the connection and figured I'd ask! The ASHA website is very helpful and I get the gist of it, but it is also helpful to talk to someone who has gone through the process! 

Edited by koalalover1