Answers and Celebrations

JohnBom

I just got my first acceptance, to one of my top programs, with full funding. I can't even explain how relieved I am. Now I can go on with my life knowing that I'll be in school this fall, and plan accordingly (sell the house, etc.). Yay!

Wonderful! Congratulations!

I just got my first acceptance, to one of my top programs, with full funding. I can't even explain how relieved I am. Now I can go on with my life knowing that I'll be in school this fall, and plan accordingly (sell the house, etc.). Yay!

Way to go, Rogue! I can imagine that the feeling of relief with the first acceptance is nearly as good as the excitement. I know that is how it will be for me. I just want one with full funding so that at least I know I can begin in the fall. Of course, I want my first choice, but even more, I just want relief. In any case, congrats!

Way to go, Rogue! I can imagine that the feeling of relief with the first acceptance is nearly as good as the excitement. I know that is how it will be for me. I just want one with full funding so that at least I know I can begin in the fall. Of course, I want my first choice, but even more, I just want relief. In any case, congrats!

First of all, congrats to Rogue for getting in, I wish I had some idea of when I was going to hear my fate! Also, I just wanted to say I think its so interesting the contrast between graduate and undergraduate in terms of the emphasis on funding.. I didn't know this before I started talking to other people but apparently funding is a big deal in graduate studies. Personally I never expected any and it won't bother me if I don't get any as long as I get accepted somewhere! I guess I am just not in the competitive pool for funding, I never really thought about it in terms of limiting my ability to go somewhere. I don't care if I have to take out loans for the rest of my life, I just want to be in school in the fall! smile.gif

Good luck to everyone!

Thanks, everyone! Yes, the CUNY one was mine. I think it might be on the early side, though, because of the fellowship--so they probably have plenty more people to notify. I hope you all get good news soon!

First of all, congrats to Rogue for getting in, I wish I had some idea of when I was going to hear my fate! Also, I just wanted to say I think its so interesting the contrast between graduate and undergraduate in terms of the emphasis on funding.. I didn't know this before I started talking to other people but apparently funding is a big deal in graduate studies. Personally I never expected any and it won't bother me if I don't get any as long as I get accepted somewhere! I guess I am just not in the competitive pool for funding, I never really thought about it in terms of limiting my ability to go somewhere. I don't care if I have to take out loans for the rest of my life, I just want to be in school in the fall! smile.gif

Good luck to everyone!

funding IS a big deal because unless you are independently wealthy, you will be accruing debt for 6-8 years and then start with a job (in soc, at least) at $35-40k. It's pretty tough to pay back tens of thousands (or a hundred thou) with an income like that.

funding IS a big deal because unless you are independently wealthy, you will be accruing debt for 6-8 years and then start with a job (in soc, at least) at $35-40k. It's pretty tough to pay back tens of thousands (or a hundred thou) with an income like that.

I agree. If there is no funding, there is no reason to attend grad school, in my opinion.

Thanks, everyone! Yes, the CUNY one was mine. I think it might be on the early side, though, because of the fellowship--so they probably have plenty more people to notify. I hope you all get good news soon!

I heard a professor say that grad school is like sex: you shouldn't pay for it when you can get it for free

I heard a professor say that grad school is like sex: you shouldn't pay for it when you can get it for free

Lol that is a great quote! I guess I just never thought of it that way because I didn't think of undergraduate in terms of where I could afford. My family is not wealthy and I did have to take out loans and things but I think of grad school more in terms of getting a degree so I will be able to make some money in the future. I know I'm going to have a lot of debt but I think I'd have a much better chance in the world with my degree and debt than no degree at all. I just thought it was interesting that people are so focused on it and that I never put much thought into it. Then again like I said, I am probably not competitive for funding (or admission for that matter).. but I guess we'll see!

Lol that is a great quote! I guess I just never thought of it that way because I didn't think of undergraduate in terms of where I could afford. My family is not wealthy and I did have to take out loans and things but I think of grad school more in terms of getting a degree so I will be able to make some money in the future. I know I'm going to have a lot of debt but I think I'd have a much better chance in the world with my degree and debt than no degree at all. I just thought it was interesting that people are so focused on it and that I never put much thought into it. Then again like I said, I am probably not competitive for funding (or admission for that matter).. but I guess we'll see!

i've contemplated going for the first year to a program unfunded; i know some schools (UWisc, for example) typically don't fund people for the first year. it's still a lot of stress, though, and i'm not sure it's a good decision for me.

I feel very fortunate that funding need not play a role in my decision.

The conventional wisdom on this--don't go without funding---creates some unpleasant snobbery, I think. If you can't afford to go without funding, by all means, don't. But why is there a stigma about paying for your degree? Sure, it might mean that you weren't the strongest applicant OUT OF A POOL OF 500! How is there anything wrong with that?

Once you're in, the playing field is level, funded or no, and what you make of grad school, and your future career, is up to you. No? If not, it should be so. Perhaps I'm just thick skinned, but I don't anticipate any "unpleasantness" between myself and someone who is funded.

I'm funded, too--independently.

yeah, i think it's a little much to get caught up in something along the lines of "who got funded better/worse/at all in your cohort"...i know that there's perhaps a little jealousy sometimes if someone gets major grants (NSF, Ford, etc.), but people should quickly divorce their sense of worth based on these indicators otherwise the long road to success is going to feel even longer and will be miserable.

I think the jealousy and tension often arises when a person who doesn't receive full funding (and who isn't independently wealthy) is in a cohort with someone who did receive full funding. The person who wasn't fully-funded may have to take on more TAships or jobs in order to cover living expenses, which takes away time from research. I have heard that unequal funding packages and the subsequent tensions reduce the exchange of ideas and collaboration on projects among graduate students.

On that funding note...I've heard horror stories at ASA meetings about students sabotaging other students in an attempt to secure funding. Has anyone heard of this? I don't put much stalk in it, I'm just wondering if anyone else has heard it.

Hey, I saw someone else got into CUNY as well. I'm wondering who, and if s/he'll be at the admitted students event on 2/16. Anyone?

Congratulations Rogue on the acceptance as well as the funding! (I'm not the other admit, keeping my fingers crossed. . .)

Do you know any CUNY stats for this year, such as # of applicants, # of spots, # of Enhanced Chancellor's Fellowships, etc.?

Also, I'm curious about this "admitted students event," do you know anything else about it?

I visited the CUNY Soc. program this fall out of curiosity and met with a couple of students to get a feel for the program from a student's perspective. The Graduate Center, basically a building full of Ph.D. students, is a really compelling environment to me. And despite, or perhaps because of, the lack of student office space (though it is a detriment, given that the building is at 34th & 5th it is understandable), the Soc. lounge is the most welcoming/collaborative space I've seen in a Soc. grad department. Have you been there? If so, what are your impressions?

On that funding note...I've heard horror stories at ASA meetings about students sabotaging other students in an attempt to secure funding. Has anyone heard of this? I don't put much stalk in it, I'm just wondering if anyone else has heard it.

i haven't heard about this, per se. my experience at the ASA was really productive -- and i was just going to meet new people. met some fellow students that were kind of fake and annoying, but you gotta go into these things expecting a mix of good and bad from the lot.

Congratulations Rogue on the acceptance as well as the funding! (I'm not the other admit, keeping my fingers crossed. . .)

Do you know any CUNY stats for this year, such as # of applicants, # of spots, # of Enhanced Chancellor's Fellowships, etc.?

Also, I'm curious about this "admitted students event," do you know anything else about it?

I visited the CUNY Soc. program this fall out of curiosity and met with a couple of students to get a feel for the program from a student's perspective. The Graduate Center, basically a building full of Ph.D. students, is a really compelling environment to me. And despite, or perhaps because of, the lack of student office space (though it is a detriment, given that the building is at 34th & 5th it is understandable), the Soc. lounge is the most welcoming/collaborative space I've seen in a Soc. grad department. Have you been there? If so, what are your impressions?

i'm just hoping that the only invites that went out were for the most prestigious fellowships (chancellors), though with an admit weekend so close it makes me wonder if they've invited all they intend to. stress, whee!

Hey, I saw someone else got into CUNY as well. I'm wondering who, and if s/he'll be at the admitted students event on 2/16. Anyone?

Hi, I think it's me that you mentioned. I've got admitted by CUNY and I've submitted the result.

About the 2/16 event, I would not be able to go for by now I'm not in the states.

I'm the new CUNY. thanks ddlr!

Yay!

they said that they had an unusually large number of applicants, but no details besides that & info about the admitted students day.

I'm so jealous of you. I didn't apply to CUNY, but just the idea of knowing that there is at least one school that wants you...

If I could get just one acceptance!!!!!!! is that too much to ask??

I'm with you ddlr.

Thursday I got an email from a college. Heart stopping! Oh, they don't have a copy of my writing sample. (Even though I attached it to the application)

Today I got a letter from another school! YAY! This is to confirm that we have all pieces of your application.

sigh