parsneezy

I'm so excited tomorrow is February first! As many of you can relate, I am done waiting and really just want to know. For this application season I have applied to three programs (UC Berkeley, UCLA, and U Penn). Good luck everyone...hopefully we don't have to wait too long

On 1/30/2017 at 10:00 AM, Uberwelt said:

Looks like someone has heard back from the Wash U St L. admissions team this morning. I certainly applied there and haven't heard a word. I applied to three different types of programs and the Social Work/Social Welfare PhD programs are definitely taking the longest to get back to us. Yes, I know, February will be revealing. I'm tired of waiting. 

Oh I just got an email inviting me for an interview from Washington University in St. Louis (WUSTL)!

1 hour ago, canypa said:

I'm so excited tomorrow is February first! As many of you can relate, I am done waiting and really just want to know. For this application season I have applied to three programs (UC Berkeley, UCLA, and U Penn). Good luck everyone...hopefully we don't have to wait too long

Yeah we shld be hearing some news soon. Keep us informed. I didn't apply to any of these 3 schools. 

12 hours ago, Tuck1 said:

Alright y'all February is upon us tomorrow! I feel like I need to leave my phone at home just so I can get work done and not constantly check my email the next two weeks. Good luck to everyone! Not to bring in bad vibes but I was wondering if people don't get in if they will apply next year. I thought about that as my back up plan but wasn't sure. If they reject you once do you give up? 

If i don't get in, I will try again next year! But that will be probably be my last attempt. :) life goes on even while waiting, so I am still having fun with my kids, finishing up my research here and hope to get some pubs done, working etc.... Distract myself from the waiting haha

1 hour ago, canypa said:

I applied to Berkeley and UCLA as well! I haven't heard anything from UCLA and it's very nerve racking. Hopefully these next two weeks go by fast so we can stop checking. 

20 minutes ago, Ggsk said:

If i don't get in, I will try again next year! But that will be probably be my last attempt. :) life goes on even while waiting, so I am still having fun with my kids, finishing up my research here and hope to get some pubs done, working etc.... Distract myself from the waiting haha

It's good to hear folks saying to try again one more round. I have been trying to stay distracted through grant writing season but once I get home my partner and dog are certainly not as entertaining as I'm sure your kids are! 

I wish everybody the best of luck! If I can get in you all can. Right now I have received my official UNC letter of admission and am just waiting to have the fellowship paperwork drafted (although I had an email confirmation that I will be getting it). It's not really going to feel real until I get that fellowship paperwork.

1 hour ago, parsneezy said:

I wish everybody the best of luck! If I can get in you all can. Right now I have received my official UNC letter of admission and am just waiting to have the fellowship paperwork drafted (although I had an email confirmation that I will be getting it). It's not really going to feel real until I get that fellowship paperwork.

Congratulations!! I am so excited for you but understand that it doesn't feel real until you get all the logistics figured out. Hopefully by next week we all hear something!!

2 hours ago, flowerthor said:

Received this email yesterday from USC. It's not an acceptance but, "some update is better than no update" right?

eba30f38-f6f7-4586-ab4f-f20ae3a4c6c5.jpg

Wow I feel like April is a bit late for acceptance to be sent out. Right? Are the other schools extending offers this late as well. 

On January 23, 2017 at 2:51 PM, darthsarah42 said:

Hey y'all! I applied to University of Chicago and University of Washington for Social Work and U of Arizona, U of Minnesota (twin cities), and U of Texas (austin) for HDFS. I have received responses from 2 of the HDFS programs but nothing from either Social Work program!

UW applicants might find this interesting: I called UW today and asked about admissions and they said that decisions will be made by early February and there will be a visit weekend for admitted students the second week of March. 

The waiting is killlllllllling me. I have great references, grades, experience, and pubs, but my GRE math score was ... not great. So nervous. Anyone else heard anything new?

I'm trying to not lose it waiting for UW to make a decision too! I got the generic email about decisions coming out in Feb., but nothing since. This is the only school I applied to....it's going to be a long couple of weeks!

8 minutes ago, Emarouk said:

I'm trying to not lose it waiting for UW to make a decision too! I got the generic email about decisions coming out in Feb., but nothing since. This is the only school I applied to....it's going to be a long couple of weeks!

It is hard waiting. I only applied to one school too!

I'm so glad I found this thread....it's so much more fun to read all of the posts here than it is to get my actual work done.....
The only program I applied to is the University of Washington. I am currently finishing my MSW/MPA at UW and I do social policy research here as well. I came back to the education game after a looooong hiatus, so I have some research experience that predates this program and I have been doing research since arriving here.

I honestly wasn't going to apply because I felt it was unlikely that I would get in right out of the MSW, but a professor I work with and study with really pushed me to do it---a week before the applications were due! Fortunately UW had most of my materials saved so I just had the personal statement to get done--and the references. All four of my references are from professors that I have worked with and studied with here--3 of whom are in the SSW. One of those is on the steering committee. I have NO idea what my chances are, but I'm really excited about the possibility. A lot of what I do now concentrates on the importance of working with transdisciplinary teams to address inequities in health and mental health systems and on transgenerational trauma. There are a couple members of the faculty here that I am really interested in continuing to do this type of work with. 

I took the GRE with NO studying to get into the MPA program here and I didn't have time to retake it. I scored a V169, Q150 (yikes!) and a 5.5 on the writing. Hopefully with all the quantitative stuff I've had to do since, I've shown that my math skills are good for stats--just not so much for the geometry that is on the GRE general. 

I currently reside in UW's family housing with my daughter and I've been here for almost three years now so if any of you UW folks have any questions about the city or the SSW, please feel free to reach out! Annnnnnd PLEASE, for the love of all things good, let me know if you hear anything! I'll do the same.

Just received an update from UPenn PHD Social Welfare admissions. Supposedly decisions are to be released sometime next week for applicants. I saw there was another poster who had also applied there (anyone else this cycle?), so that you might like to know.

Good luck all, and keep the updates coming!

3 hours ago, Emarouk said:

SAME. I'm so stressed :'O

2 minutes ago, darthsarah42 said:

SAME. I'm so stressed :'O

At least we have each other! Ha. Have you come out to visit UW yet? Here's to hoping we are classmates next year...

Hi all,

I applied to three social work/welfare phd programs. I received an acceptance from SP2 at UPenn (phone call) yesterday, so those decisions are going out. I was told to expect a letter of admission soon, I imagine I'll have that by next week. I also applied to Rutgers and Bryn Mawr and have not heard anything yet. A professor at Rutgers told me that generally, applicants can expect a reply the first or second week of February. I have no insight as to Bryn Mawr's process. 

Hope that helps! 

Edited by Dizzy

7 hours ago, Tuck1 said:

Wow I feel like April is a bit late for acceptance to be sent out. Right? Are the other schools extending offers this late as well. 

You have to travel there? It seems that travel expenses will be provided? 

yeah i think it is too late to know in April. eeks... 

13 hours ago, Dizzy said:

Hi all,

I applied to three social work/welfare phd programs. I received an acceptance from SP2 at UPenn (phone call) yesterday, so those decisions are going out. I was told to expect a letter of admission soon, I imagine I'll have that by next week. I also applied to Rutgers and Bryn Mawr and have not heard anything yet. A professor at Rutgers told me that generally, applicants can expect a reply the first or second week of February. I have no insight as to Bryn Mawr's process. 

Hope that helps! 

Congratulations!! Our second acceptance in the group! That's really exciting! I keep checking my emails for some news but still nothing over here... ?

14 hours ago, Dizzy said:

Hi all,

Hope that helps! 

Congrats on your first acceptance! If you are willing, do you mind providing your profile (pubs, GRE, research experience), and also if it was admissions director or a POI that called you? Still keeping my fingers crossed on Penn as I would prefer to attend there, over Columbia.