SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowships 2017-2018

Konstantin

Hi all,

I am creating a discussion topic for SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowship applicants. Today is the deadline to apply, so I thought it would be a good idea to have a place to ask questions, share our experiences, and wait together for the competition results!

Edited by fuzzylogician
Edited title at OP's request

• 4 months later...

Thanks for posting the link, magicbird! I was on their forum the other days and saw someone' post who contacted SSHRC and received a reply that the results would be sent out late February, which I thought was unusual because it's always been mid-February. But, seeing SSHRC is behind schedule with notifying Banting applicants, it seems likely that we'll be finding out closer to the end of Feb.

I already received mine in the mail today and it was a rejection. I'm pretty bummed out because I'm now wondering whether my proposal was just not strong enough. I ended up using an altered version of the SSHRC proposal as my PhD application SOP, so that has me concerned about how the rest of my PhD application results will play out.

6 hours ago, ThePomoHipster said:

I already received mine in the mail today and it was a rejection. I'm pretty bummed out because I'm now wondering whether my proposal was just not strong enough. I ended up using an altered version of the SSHRC proposal as my PhD application SOP, so that has me concerned about how the rest of my PhD application results will play out.

You received a letter regarding results for the postdoctoral awards? Sounds to me like you're currently applying for PhD programs... Sorry if I just misunderstood your post!

4 hours ago, gradschoolcat said:

You received a letter regarding results for the postdoctoral awards? Sounds to me like you're currently applying for PhD programs... Sorry if I just misunderstood your post!

I applied to the SSHRC doctoral (not the postdoctoral) and got a letter that told me I wouldn't be advancing to the national competition. I just realized that this is the postdoctoral forum though so sorry for the confusion my post has caused! 

35 minutes ago, ThePomoHipster said:

I applied to the SSHRC doctoral (not the postdoctoral) and got a letter that told me I wouldn't be advancing to the national competition. I just realized that this is the postdoctoral forum though so sorry for the confusion my post has caused! 

Whoops. Where are you located @ThePomoHipster? I'm a direct applicant in the US. Still no letter...

48 minutes ago, genderboi said:

Whoops. Where are you located @ThePomoHipster? I'm a direct applicant in the US. Still no letter...

I'm in Canada, so that might be why I heard earlier. It probably takes longer for the mail to arrive in the US. I'm not even sure why they use such an archaic system rather than just email haha.

On 2017-02-20 at 0:54 PM, Konstantin said:

@turkergirl That's exactly right. Folks in Western Canada, the US, and beyond will receive their letters much later than Ontario residents, depending on their location. I'm in Ottawa so I'll post a note when I receive mine :)

Got my letter in the mail today, and I'm on the West Coast. Haven't opened it yet, but don't think it can be good news, since so far no one has mentioned being forwarded to the National competition.... 

Friday the 24th of February and still nothing at my house in Hamilton. Ugh. For a short month this February sure has been long! 

It looks like we might not hear until March unless they notify by email?

Have a stress-free weekend everyone! 

• 11 months later...

Waiting is torturous, but I'm glad there are a couple of others out there to commiserate with! From last year's thread it looks like they mailed the results on March 1st last year (and tweeted about it when they did). I've been checking up on the SSHRC twitter feed, but we could have another couple of weeks to wait... ugh!